News   Jul 25, 2024
 209     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 755     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Corporate Presence in Toronto.

I just saw on wikipedia that Toronto's GDP was the same as Detroit according to Price Waterhouse coopers.

Yes, that's for the region, and Detroit has a larger GDP then any other area in Canada as well ...

Mississauga has a lot of pharmaceutical companies (GSK, AstraZeneca) as well as banks (not HQs though: RBC, BMO) and some high-tech (Microsoft) and others (Wal-Mart).

They have many American companies that most wouldn't know about. For banks there's a lot of call centers and some techolnolgy divisions, but a lot of that is still in the 416 proper really.

Markham is really the software giant of Canada, much bigger then Waterloo though no one would like to admit it. I wouldn't be supirsed if the second largest is Mississauga or somewhere in BC.

Hey, regarding other places in Canada; Do most of them have extensive office space in the suburbs (i.e. their 905) ... I don't think Calgary does. But Vancouver has a ton; maybe that's due to geography though. What about Montreal ?

Mississauga has a lot of pharmaceutical companies (GSK, AstraZeneca) as well as banks (not HQs though: RBC, BMO) and some high-tech (Microsoft) and others (Wal-Mart).

There's also a lot of electronics/appliance HQs in Mississauga: Nikon, Canon, Samsung, LG, HP, Sharp, Fujifilm, Panasonic, GE, Whirlpool...

Am I the only one who sees theterribleone's agenda here? You guys are totally taking the bait.

There's also a lot of electronics/appliance HQs in Mississauga: Nikon, Canon, Samsung, LG, HP, Sharp, Fujifilm, Panasonic, GE, Whirlpool...

We forgot Oracle, Accenture, American Standard, Boston Scientific, DuPont, Fedex, Pepsi-QTG, Pitney Bowes, Praxair, Staples, NCR, Citi, Rubbermaid, Mattel, General Mills, Hershey, Honeywell, Kellogg, UPS, Sara Lee, Ingram Micro, Ericsson, Novartis, Siemens.

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Our_Business_Community_.pdf

We forgot Oracle, Accenture, American Standard, Boston Scientific, DuPont, Fedex, Pepsi-QTG, Pitney Bowes, Praxair, Staples, NCR, Citi, Rubbermaid, Mattel, General Mills, Hershey, Honeywell, Kellogg, UPS, Sara Lee, Ingram Micro, Ericsson, Novartis, Siemens.

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Our_Business_Community_.pdf

Essentially the majority of non-financial large American companies have their headquarters in Mississauga, some in Markham, even less in Toronto proper.

This isn't really a Toronto only thing, these guys tend to locate reletivaly far out even in most US cities less their actual headquarters. Large software companies are notorious for this everywhere

A follow up question: What Canadian corporations don't have a major corporate office in the GTA?

I'm sure there are some resource companies, especially energy and forestry without a presence. Most mining companies do seem to have an office here.

Is BCE still based mostly in Montreal?

There are probably a few Quebec based financial firms that have Bay street operations but no C-level management. Laurentian Bank is probably one.

I could have sworn somewhere there's a map of Alpha, and beta cities that is based on the amount of global 500 companies a city has. This is a fairly good indication of where we stand in the world.

Here's a wikipedia link showing our relative position of how many global 500 companies located within the city, we rank 8th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_Global_500

Back