News   Jul 03, 2024
 571     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Corktown

The never-ending King St bridge work is still ongoing... latest sign update now shows "fall 2014", bumped back from "August 2014".

Today there was a parade of cement trucks - it appears they were doing a long pour of some sort of form at the base of the south side of the bridge.

2tmLSIV.jpg

hvG1CMo.jpg

Clearly this project is some sort of shoring for the base of the bridge. Does anyone know if this was due to the flood protection berm work, or some other problem?

Application:
Mechanical(MS)
Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1M1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#:
14 160718 HVA 00 MS
Accepted Date:
Jul 10, 2014

Project:
Multiple Unit Building Building Permit Related(MS)

Description:
HVAC - Proposal for a tenant fit-up on the ground floor of existing building for "Thor 2 Espresso Bar and Cafe" for 55 seats. Unit is located on the south east corner of the ground floor.

The never-ending King St bridge work is still ongoing... latest sign update now shows "fall 2014", bumped back from "August 2014".

Today there was a parade of cement trucks - it appears they were doing a long pour of some sort of form at the base of the south side of the bridge.

Clearly this project is some sort of shoring for the base of the bridge. Does anyone know if this was due to the flood protection berm work, or some other problem?

What was being poured was the concrete 'box' for the sewer back-flow prevention mechanism. (To stop the Don flowing BACK behind the new berm if it floods.) The bridge was closed because when they started this work they realised that the piles for the bridge are/were wood and needed major attention. As soon as the back-flow thingy is finished (soon, I guess) they will start fixing the piles. Apparently be injecting mini-piles - which sounds like an uncomfortable medical problem :->

The Minutes of the June meeting of the West Don Lands Committee say:
Footings have been impacted by excavation work being done for the install of back flow preventer. IO will be installing micro piles at 3 locations (piers) only.. Bridge work cannot be completed until back flow preventer is installed. IO has had to request extension of closure due to delays. July 9th is the estimated date for the completed installation of the back flow preventer. Mobilization of micro pilling work is scheduled to begin July 17th pending completion of the installation of the back flow preventer. IO to report back regarding disruptions to traffic and trails, etc., when the bridge work starts to enable communication with community regarding related impacts and closures.

They add that "Completion targeted for September 2014." We shall see!

Last edited:
Wow.... So you mean to tell me that the bridge has been closed for almost a year and they haven't even started the work on the pilings?

Any idea why this is taking so long?

Wow.... So you mean to tell me that the bridge has been closed for almost a year and they haven't even started the work on the pilings?

Any idea why this is taking so long?
The WT info states that they had to finish the back-flow prevention stuff first. From what I posted, the fixing of the piles is not going to take long (mid-July to September) - though I guess we will soon find out!

Sorry, I swear I'm not shooting the messenger here, just surprised.

So if the backflow preventer work doesn't take long, why has the bridge been closed all this time?

Sorry, I swear I'm not shooting the messenger here, just surprised.

So if the backflow preventer work doesn't take long, why has the bridge been closed all this time?
I had not felt 'shot' :-> I think you are misreading something; the back-flow work took AGES and it's still not finished. I think they had not realised they needed to do this as it held up completion of the berm and the continuation of Corktown Common and the land under the bridge going to King/Queen has been half finished for maybe 2 years. If you want a month by month idea of the progress - or lack - go to the minutes of West Don lands Committee on WT website. The area around the huge sewer (it is inside the new concrete box and looked to be about 6 feet) had to be dewatered - which took ages and then they were worried that if they proceeded the bridge would collapse so all work stopped (and finally the bridge was closed) etc etc....

I don't think the sign ever said August 2014. If it did, it was changed to Fall months ago, before TTC started touting August 2014.

I don't think the sign ever said August 2014. If it did, it was changed to Fall months ago, before TTC started touting August 2014.

I don't know about the sign at the site, but I know the TTC notices originally said November 2013, then April 2014, then August 2014 and now I think they probably say fall or November 2014. I've got pictures of most of them because every time they changed it, I'd send it to my friend who has a condo that overlooks the intersection and has been looking forward to seeing the streetcars running down King right under his balcony.

I don't know about the sign at the site, but I know the TTC notices originally said November 2013, then April 2014, then August 2014 and now I think they probably say fall or November 2014. I've got pictures of most of them because every time they changed it, I'd send it to my friend who has a condo that overlooks the intersection and has been looking forward to seeing the streetcars running down King right under his balcony.
Not sure about the lamp post notices ... but the website still says "end of August 2014" - http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

I queried TTC months ago when the city's "Fall 2014" sign went up why TTC still said end of August 2014, and they have since confirmed that it is end of August 2014.

Personally I don't believe it ... and doubt that it will re-open until 2015 or 2016.

Not sure about the lamp post notices ... but the website still says "end of August 2014" - http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

I queried TTC months ago when the city's "Fall 2014" sign went up why TTC still said end of August 2014, and they have since confirmed that it is end of August 2014.

Personally I don't believe it ... and doubt that it will re-open until 2015 or 2016.

Well, the TTC signage in the transit shelters now says "end of November 2014" so this project is certainly keeping sign-makers busy and I too suspect it will be 2015...

Back