40     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 302     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 638     0 

Copenhagen Opera House

B

BuildTO

(Apologies if this has been posted before.)

Stumbled across a link in someone's blog to the site for the new opera house in Copenhagen. I am jealous. Take a look.

The link to the homepage is at the bottom, but this link takes you to a page with a virtual tour. Click on the circular red icons (6 of them, I think) and give each window a moment to fully load. Very cool.

www.old.kglteater.dk/Virtual_tour/operaen/index.html

I especially like the light fixtures in the lobby, and the lighting out front (poles and lighting installed in the ground). No cheap-outs here.

www.operahus.dk/

PS: when you're in the lobby, make sure you look up at the light fixtures.

Absolutely stunning. Thanks for the link.

(not to bring up an old and tired debate, but...)I always thought our opera house felt/looked unfinished or was missing something, both inside the cityroom and the exterior. This opera house kind of proves it for me.

This particular opera house has a certain polish (literally and otherwise) that our house lacks to some extent.

I'm not crazy about our Opera House, but in its defense it is located in a urban setting, where as this example can be a showpiece on its own.

Nice. Amazing what you can do when penny-pinching isn't the order of the day as it is in our city of rectangles.

Somebody in the Toronto media wrote a comparison between this and Toronto's opera house a long time ago, also in favour of Copenhagen. I can't remember who. (could be Hume)

What I find interesting after doing the virtual tour is actually how similar the Toronto's opera house is to it. They're no twin buidings, but the foyer and the auditorium of the Copenhagen opera looks strangely familiar to our building. I do have to give credit to the Danes for better materials though.

Interesting to note that the population of the GTA is about the same as the national population of Denmark (about 5.5 million).

Interesting fact: The sea side location of the Copenhagen Opera house caused corrosion of the cladding that the architects did not forsee causing the building to become an eye-sore after only a few years. This problem was solved I believe at some cost but in the eyes of some the building represents boondoggle as much as icon.

Copenhagen's opera house cost 3 1/2 times more than ours.

I doubt if the acoustics will be 3 1/2 times better.

... and would Toronto's limestone fetishists / Gehry wraiths have been happy to cough up mad money like that, just to admire a building from the outside?

What's with the stairs down to the water? Do they expect people to arrive by boat?

The opera house is built on an existing artificial island that was modified by cutting two 17 metre wide channels on either side in order to isolate it and create a separate island.

Does Queen Daisy design sets & costumes for the opera, or is only the ballet graced in that way?

"Nice. Amazing what you can do when penny-pinching isn't the order of the day as it is in our city of rectangles"

Those are fighting words. Clearly you must hate Toronto, or have some inferiority complex. I mean, as long as the accoustics are okay a corrugated tin box would have been just fine (as long as there's a red carpet for the fancy and self-important, that is). Besides, there must be some interest group somewhere that could use such squandered funds!

Back