Convenience may be causing people to get sick

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Convenience may be causing people to get sick

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing health concern

BY MARIA TZAVARAS

November 27, 2007 11:52 AM

Modern technology makes our lives convenient and efficient, but is it also making us sick?

Electromagnetic fields, or EMFs, are all around us, emitted from items in our home, work and outside environments. Whether it's outside power lines, home electrical wiring or appliances big and small, if it uses electricity, it's giving off EMFs.

That being said, it's inevitable we are all going to be exposed to EMFs so the question becomes what exactly does that mean for our health?

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing health concern and, according to Dr. Howard Fisher, a Toronto chiropractor and author of The Invisible Threat, The Risks Associated with EMFs, it can be attributed to several health disorders.

Studies have confirmed these disorders include fatigue, sleep disturbances, loss of mental attention, headaches, depression, heart palpitations, memory problems and burning and tingling sensations in the head and extremities.

Fisher also said EMFs have been proven to have effects on neurological tissues, contributing to nerve degenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.

Whether it causes or simply exacerbates symptoms, Fisher said he can't say, but if this is true, why hasn't the public heard more about it?

Health Canada, while recognizing EMFs exist, said it does not feel they negatively impact the health of Canadians.

"Health Canada has no scientific reason to consider the use of wireless communications devices, such as cellphones, BlackBerries, wireless laptop computers and their supporting infrastructure, (are) dangerous to the health of the Canadian public," said the official statement from the health organization. "The World Health Organization has recently confirmed this as well."

Renee Bergeron, media relations officer for Health Canada, said she gets calls on a weekly basis from concerned citizens regarding electromagnetic sensitivities, mainly regarding cellphones.

Currently Bergeron said there's no concrete scientific evidence to back up those concerns.

"We have a whole team of people working in the radiation protection program area; that's what they do," she said.

However, Fisher said he strongly believes in the negative health effects attributed to EMFs and has known about it since the early '80s.

Kevin Byrne, a former sufferer, also said the effects are real.

Three years ago, Byrne moved into a house and did renovations, including installing new lighting complete with 15 compact fluorescent lights and three dimmer switches. Over the next few months, Byrne noticed he was feeling overall unwellness.

"I developed arthritic-like pain. I was very sore and my joints hurt, especially my hips, and I wasn't sleeping well," he said.

He went to the doctor for a checkup, but everything was normal. It wasn't until he was visiting a neighbour, an environmental engineer, that there was some light shed on his situation.

The neighbour was using a Stetzer meter, developed to measure dirty electricity.

Dirty electricity is caused by energy-saving devices such as power bars and compact fluorescent light bulbs. To achieve the lower voltage, electricity is chopped up, allowing it to move slower and achieve energy efficiency. As a result, electricity spews outward and goes back through the wiring in your home, contaminating everything that is plugged in.

After Byrne took to the meter home to his house, he found high levels of dirty electricity.

"Your electricity, when it's clean, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but when it's contaminated ... it's got radiation spewing off of it," Byrne said.

Historically, Fisher said people have been aware of the effects of EMFs since the 1950s. However, it remains a controversial topic with many unknowns.

"What the medical world isn't aware of we don't know how much of the symptoms that they see in practice on a regular basis is due to electromagnetic field effects or actual pathologies," Fisher said.

That being said, other countries such as Sweden and Australia recognize this; so why not Canada?

"When you test anything, like drugs, products or whatever, sometimes you have to look at how big the studies are, how long did they test them for, what are the variables, so we have to accumulate a lot of studies and we have to see a pattern before we can verify it," Bergeron said.

Dirty electricity?

This is, of course, from a chiropractor; so take with a big dose of neck manipulation.

This could have been inconvenient and troubling to hear, nevertheless there is little evidence beside cases where EMFs worsened a condition someone may already have had.

I'm not so sure guys. I think EMF fields are a valid health concern over time. Although the studies have found mixed results, I think it's better to go the safe route, and try to avoid your exposure to EMF Fields.

I have an EMF tester in my home, and beyond a couple of inches the CFL's pose really no problems.

The biggest health concern I'd have is improper electrical wiring in the home. For example, a neutral wire that touches a ground wire in an old receptacle can create a huge magnetic field around it, and leak current into the ground wire. You can test for this by either using an EMF meter around the receptacle, or placing an clamp on ammeter around the main ground wire that comes out of your electrical panel (and is usually grounded to the home's water supply).

I'd also avoid having your bed next to high EMF sources. In our bedroom for example, the 3 external hydro meters are located on the north wall. If we were to place our bed against this wall, our heads would be subject to some high doses of EMF radiation. Over time, this would certainly be carcinogenic.

Jarrek, that study concluded that:

"These data do not support the hypothesis that exposure to magnetic
fields from high-current power lines, electric heating sources, or electric appliances is associated with the subsequent occurrence of brain tumors in children."

Jarrek, that study concluded that:

"These data do not support the hypothesis that exposure to magnetic
fields from high-current power lines, electric heating sources, or electric appliances is associated with the subsequent occurrence of brain tumors in children."

Yes, although the study concluded that this is the case, it also mentions that the 50/60Hz magnetic fields have been shown to have genotoxic effects, and there is some evidence to suggest that they act as a tumor promoter.

WHO did a study on EMF fields in 2001, and although it only mentions a "limited" evidence of ELF as being a cause of childhood leukemia, it does state that ELF fields are "possibly" carcinogenic to humans.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/en/

- Extremely low-frequency magnetic fields are possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B).

- There is limited evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of extremely low-frequency magnetic fields in relation to childhood leukemia.

Yeah, there's some evidence that magnetic fields possibly cause cancer... so I don't think you can say that "certainly be carcinogenic". Even in a well-established link such as smoking and lung cancer, it would be incorrect to say that smoking, even heavy smoking would certainly cause lung cancer. It increases the risk.

Yeah, there's some evidence that magnetic fields possibly cause cancer... so I don't think you can say that "certainly be carcinogenic". Even in a well-established link such as smoking and lung cancer, it would be incorrect to say that smoking, even heavy smoking would certainly cause lung cancer. It increases the risk.

Yes, you are correct. Increases the risk would be a more accurate assessment.

Guess what, we have been bombarded by electromagnetic fields from the sun and earth ever since the first forms of life appeared on this rock billions of years ago. In fact, your body's cell structure depends on EMF for basic maintenance / survival.

Countless studies have shown that EMF radiation does not easily penetrate the body - thanks to your skin. In other words, unless your sitting on a power line, or decide to use one as skipping rope, your exposure to EMF drops exponentially with little distance.

Company's catering to the 'EMF pollution' hysteria have been doing quite well - supplying everything from grounded bed blankets, to radiation dispersing stickers for cell phones. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think I'll stick to peer-reviewed scientific / health journals for my source - rather then the tinfoil hat wearing crackpots.

Guess what, we have been bombarded by electromagnetic fields from the sun and earth ever since the first forms of life appeared on this rock billions of years ago. In fact, your body's cell structure depends on EMF for basic maintenance / survival.

Background EMF levels are no where near the ones that could cause a safety concern. On average, in a properly wired home, you'll get 0.1-1.2 mG (milliGaus). The body's brain and heart both produce an EMF (anywhere from 0.1-5 microGauss) that is significantly lower than natural background levels and nowhere near levels that might affect any sort of changes within the body structure. My main concern is EMF fields in the home. Hydro panels for example can emit as high as 2000 mG, so I believe it's best to try to avoid placing things such as beds near walls that contain a lot of the homes electrical equipment. The Swedish safety standard for EMF exposure is 1 mG.

Company's catering to the 'EMF pollution' hysteria have been doing quite well - supplying everything from grounded bed blankets, to radiation dispersing stickers for cell phones. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think I'll stick to peer-reviewed scientific / health journals for my source - rather then the tinfoil hat wearing crackpots.

I don't disagree with you there, there are a lot of web sites out there that just go way over the top. And tinfoil wearing crackpots are just that - crackpots.

On average, in a properly wired home, you'll get 0.1-1.2 mG (milliGaus).
I'm somewhat concerned because the EMF in my basement apartment starts at about 1.5 mG near the foyer, and suddenly soars near the middle of the living area (a short distance away), peaking around 100 mG at the doorway to the bedroom. At the bed, it's around 5-6 mG -- but the needle won't stay still and fluctuates between about 4 and 10. The bed is a fair distance from the hydro meters on the outside wall.

When I went outdoors to check the readings for my block, I similarly found them to be both surprisingly high and variable (but stable for a given location). Generally 5-15 mG, but as low as 2 mG (in front of one house only) and as high as 100 mG at the intersections. The readings for a parallel street, one block over, were much lower. For a perpendicular street, they were much higher. The powerlines are above ground in all cases.

Back