News   Apr 30, 2024
 741     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Condos That Allow Large Pets (85lb Dog)

OolloO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm looking for a condo from Dufferin to Victoria Park and Steeles to Sheppard that would allow an 85lb dog. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a condo without a size restriction. I'd be nice if I could find this info for each condo. This is what I've found so far....

Monarch @ Heron's Hill (Legacy, Ultra, Yorkland)
-no more then one of any type. (eg. one cat and one dog)
-30lb max restriction

Concord Place (Discovery)
-30lb max restriction

Help finding a condo that suites my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Courts have been known to strike down pet restrictions, especially when the rule blankets all pets above a certain weight. Those rules can be really hard to enforce for a condo board, and if you were to ask a lawyer you might even be told that the rules entirely are unenforceable.

The pet size rules are in place typically as a fire safety concern, especially in highrise buildings where pets can be easily carried by its owner when exiting down stairwells and narrow corridors, otherwise large dogs could be an obstruction or tripping hazard in an event of these emergencies.
Many condos limit dogs to 35 pounds, but I don't find this very realistic as this excludes some medium sized and all large-sized dogs. I have heard that some condos boards do make exceptions on a case-by-case basis depending on breed, agility, health and temperament.

Courts have been known to strike down pet restrictions, especially when the rule blankets all pets above a certain weight. Those rules can be really hard to enforce for a condo board, and if you were to ask a lawyer you might even be told that the rules entirely are unenforceable.
Even if unenforceable, the rules are still there. You'd be basically buying the place with the intent all along to break the rules, and you'd have both the condo board and a good number of the residents there disliking you.

I'm looking for a condo from Dufferin to Victoria Park and Steeles to Sheppard that would allow an 85lb dog. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a condo without a size restriction. I'd be nice if I could find this info for each condo. This is what I've found so far....

Monarch @ Heron's Hill (Legacy, Ultra, Yorkland)
-no more then one of any type. (eg. one cat and one dog)
-30lb max restriction

Concord Place (Discovery)
-30lb max restriction

Help finding a condo that suites my needs would be greatly appreciated.
Are you working with an agent? When we were condo shopping, our agent pre-screened potential properties with our pet needs in mind.

They shouldn't allow it. Most owners just leave their pets in the condo and it would bark non-stop repetitively.

Does anyone know if there's a restriction for the amount of dogs allowed in 1 condo? I'd imagine maybe .. 1 dog for a 1 bedroom unit, or 2 dogs for a 2 bedroom unit maybe? ;) Considering a second dog..

Check your declaration. It varies. In our building, for example, it's one dog per unit, no size restriction. Where I used to live, it was one dog under 40 lbs with certain breed restrictions. Our neighbouring building allows two dogs per unit

Your only restriction is the law.
When it comes to pets they can't enforce anything unless there was someone with a pre-existing allergy to your pet within close proximity to your unit.

Pet rules have to be reasonable. Size and number restrictions have been upheld by the courts

When it comes to pets they can't enforce anything unless there was someone with a pre-existing allergy to your pet within close proximity to your unit.
Condo Boards can make up any rules they want. For instance my blinds have to be white.

In my case the rule is one dog or two cats per unit.

I think 1 dog is fine. Anything more then you need to start thinking about getting a house. 2 dogs per unit just means more "accidents", more grass to re-sod, and generally more maintenance that I don't think I should have to pay for.

This subject is confusing because it involves various levels of authority, where some supersede others.

The City of Toronto has a municipal bylaw restricting the maximum number of cats per household to 6 and the number of dogs to 3.

Ontario Condo bylaws regarding pets are almost always going to be upheld in any court challenge, as it is based on legislation that says it can do it. A condo board can't make rules that are "unreasonable" or obviously in conflict with human rights (and owning a pet is a not a human right). Case law dictates that, where a Board exercises its discretion to enforce its declaration, by-laws or rules, the Courts will not substitute its own discretion for that of the Board's. Rather, the Courts will review the Board's conduct, to ensure that the discretion was exercised properly, and in good faith.

A blanket bylaw restricting all pets period would be deemed unreasonable. But specific restrictions on pets will almost always be deemed reasonable and enforceable if challenged in the courts.

Renters under the Residential Tenancy Act however, enjoy a much more liberal set of rules regarding pets. Landlords cannot enforce any no pet clauses or restrictions that are not specifically mentioned in the Act. You are still subject to Municipal bylaws though.

It all depends on the sizes really, realistically, how many dogs or cats can you keep in a 2 bedroom condo of 1000 or so sq feet. They need room, you need room.

Back