News   Jul 05, 2024
 218     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 670     10 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 404     0 

Condo walls for hanging flatscreen TV?

Sigh, this job is tougher than I thought. I wish that it was either wood stud on concrete. Steel stud is not looking good.

Sigh, this job is tougher than I thought. I wish that it was either wood stud on concrete. Steel stud is not looking good.

The TV's we put up where: 32 inch Sharp. 1 side may have been into a stud though I am not sure. Up x 1 year and no problems.
The other is a Samsung 32 inch. Up now for2+ weeks. So far no problem. I would believe if it would come down, it would have already. Barring water destroying the drywall, I hope we will be OK. USed 80 pound toggle screws (4) and into drywall, not into the metal stud).

Incidently, we attached another box for an electrical outlet which we tied into the one below and also ran the cable (fished it up) to hide it so you get the nice clean appearance shown in the picture a few posts back.

By the way, nice looking appearance of that condo. Clean, modern and inviting. If you have the room he has, you could just put the TV on the console below and avoid all the problems. It is work but it is not that tough to do the job.

Good luck onfence. I had one other thought. Since you are "onfence", maybe you could just erect a fence in front of the wall and balance the TV? (Sorry, not funny). Just hope you solve it one way or the other.

Cheers

The TV's we put up where: 32 inch Sharp. 1 side may have been into a stud though I am not sure. Up x 1 year and no problems.
The other is a Samsung 32 inch. Up now for2+ weeks. So far no problem. I would believe if it would come down, it would have already. Barring water destroying the drywall, I hope we will be OK. USed 80 pound toggle screws (4) and into drywall, not into the metal stud).

Incidently, we attached another box for an electrical outlet which we tied into the one below and also ran the cable (fished it up) to hide it so you get the nice clean appearance shown in the picture a few posts back.

By the way, nice looking appearance of that condo. Clean, modern and inviting. If you have the room he has, you could just put the TV on the console below and avoid all the problems. It is work but it is not that tough to do the job.

Good luck onfence. I had one other thought. Since you are "onfence", maybe you could just erect a fence in front of the wall and balance the TV? (Sorry, not funny). Just hope you solve it one way or the other.

Cheers

Haha, very funny. I'm dying inside though as I WANT to hang that darn TV...arrgh!! My philosophy is if one gets a flatscreen, the whole pt is to mount it, otherwise, it'll just take up almost as much space as a CRT. I mounted on concrete b4 but this is another animal, it seems, unfortunately.

I don't see why this is troubling you so much. Either offset the toggles so you don't catch the studs, or get yourself a larger drill bit so that you can fish the toggle straight into the stud. You're going to need a couple washers one way or the other.

A steel stud on it's own is flimsy, but once attached to a sheet of drywall and the top/bottom tracks its rigid as fuck. I wouldn't try hanging a tv off of an un-drywalled wall, but once everything's put together there's nothing to worry about. I actually think a toggle bolt is rated for more pull-out weight than a wood screw anyway.

And no, metal stud walls are just for interior partitions, they aren't load bearing in any way shape or form. But they're plenty strong enough (properly installed, and really, even improperly installed unless its egregiously bad) to hold up your tv.

And whoever hung their tv on drywall screws is mental. I don't care if it's catching the studs, they're mental. I wouldn't let my cats play under that.

I don't see why this is troubling you so much. Either offset the toggles so you don't catch the studs, or get yourself a larger drill bit so that you can fish the toggle straight into the stud. You're going to need a couple washers one way or the other.

A steel stud on it's own is flimsy, but once attached to a sheet of drywall and the top/bottom tracks its rigid as fuck. I wouldn't try hanging a tv off of an un-drywalled wall, but once everything's put together there's nothing to worry about. I actually think a toggle bolt is rated for more pull-out weight than a wood screw anyway.

And no, metal stud walls are just for interior partitions, they aren't load bearing in any way shape or form. But they're plenty strong enough (properly installed, and really, even improperly installed unless its egregiously bad) to hold up your tv.

And whoever hung their tv on drywall screws is mental. I don't care if it's catching the studs, they're mental. I wouldn't let my cats play under that.

I guess I would be the "mental individual". No cats fortunately. I agree stud would have been better but just not well placed for the wall. One is on the stud, the other is not with 4 80 lb. screws. I believe the TV is closer to 50 pounds. I will keep my fingers crossed. I have a really good handy guy (has finished basements etc. beautifully and said it will be no problem.) I hope he is right.

Anyhow, I shall report back in a month and honestly say if I had to buy a new TV because it came down.

I agree that "onfence should go for hanging it the way he wants as he clearly wants to do this and just make sure he puts it into a stud.

I would suggest that maybe if he is unsettled, he ask someone with experience to do this.

I believe I wrote that.. but that's drywall screws into the studs.. It's still in combination with other several other anchors so it's not going anywhere. I wouldn't trust just a couple of screws into metal studs for support either.

I believe I wrote that.. but that's drywall screws into the studs.. It's still in combination with other several other anchors so it's not going anywhere. I wouldn't trust just a couple of screws into metal studs for support either.

Hey, Wooba, you and I are in competition for the mental position. But at least you said you would put them into the studs. Like I said, the studs just didn't line up well for the 2nd TV so I have my fingers crossed. But I win the dubious honour of being the "more mental" of the 2 of us.

^^Haha, you guys are funny.

I already bought a mount but it seems it cannot be used for metal studded walls, so I'll have to return it. Ya, it's a bit puzzling for me since I only have experience w/ a concrete wall, which is probably the easiest out of the 3 types of walls out there, and now I'm faced with a metal studded one, which I suppose is the hardest to hang a tv off of. I'll figure it out hopefully.

Another question is I'm very concerned about electrical wiring: generally speaking, can I assume that the vertical line above/below a power outlet is a NO DRILL ZONE? My other concern is whether these wires snake around horizontally or diagonally or are they lined up either at floor or ceiling level when going traveling across a wall? I assume that there is a logically, generally-accepted pattern for laying electric wires in walls? Thx.

^^Haha, you guys are funny.

I already bought a mount but it seems it cannot be used for metal studded walls, so I'll have to return it. Ya, it's a bit puzzling for me since I only have experience w/ a concrete wall, which is probably the easiest out of the 3 types of walls out there, and now I'm faced with a metal studded one, which I suppose is the hardest to hang a tv off of. I'll figure it out hopefully.

Another question is I'm very concerned about electrical wiring: generally speaking, can I assume that the vertical line above/below a power outlet is a NO DRILL ZONE? My other concern is whether these wires snake around horizontally or diagonally or are they lined up either at floor or ceiling level when going traveling across a wall? Thx.

What do you mean it can't be used with metal studs? They don't make mounts based on what type of stud you have.
As for the electrical, most likely there's wiring going straight up from your plug but it's possible it snakes. But I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's in conduit (or wire) that's flexible enough to withstand some screws unless you're extremely unlucky.

What do you mean it can't be used with metal studs? They don't make mounts based on what type of stud you have.
As for the electrical, most likely there's wiring going straight up from your plug but it's possible it snakes. But I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's in conduit (or wire) that's flexible enough to withstand some screws unless you're extremely unlucky.

Ya, that's what the mount manufacturer said, it can only be used for wood studded or concrete walls because the mount's horizontal bar is not wide enough to accomodate or effectively use the toggle bolts (something to do w/ the 2 vertical screws on either side not being sufficiently spaced apart?). I'm wondering whether or not to ignore that advice because I like that particular mount...I guess it depends on the diameter of the toggle bolts when they expand?

I am pretty sure "onfence" is right. I read the same thing. The manufacturer worries that torque will twist the metal stud from a levered arm. They don't want to be held responsible hence the disclaimer.
I am not saying to do it but "onfence" that is what we had to do.

I did not provide the attachment, my tenant did. However, onfence, I would ask if there are mounts that are designed for metal studs. There may not be. The reality is then you will have to decide to proceed or not.

For the wiring, I would cut out a bit of drywall at the base where the plug is (and presumably the same spot for your cable wire). Then you will make a cut out behind the TV for a new cable exit and the electrical exit. Get a fish wire, attach a string and pull it from top to bottom. Attach your electrical wire and pull it through with the string the other way. More than likely, your electrical wire will be low and near the ground so fishing the wire should not be a problem.

Would really suggest you get a handy guy or someone who has done this before since though it is not complicated, it is a little imposing the first time you try and it can be frustrating trying to fish the wires up.

Ya, that's what the mount manufacturer said, it can only be used for wood studded or concrete walls because the mount's horizontal bar is not wide enough to accomodate or effectively use the toggle bolts (something to do w/ the 2 vertical screws on either side not being sufficiently spaced apart?). I'm wondering whether or not to ignore that advice because I like that particular mount...I guess it depends on the diameter of the toggle bolts when they expand?

My 4 toggles were about 8 to 10 inches apart in a square shape. The larger in a way the better since it would distribute the weight over a larger area. How big/heavy is the TV. We only put up 32" TV's.

My 4 toggles were about 8 to 10 inches apart in a square shape. The larger in a way the better since it would distribute the weight over a larger area. How big/heavy is the TV. We only put up 32" TV's.

8-10" apart? That is quite far and I suppose great weight distribution. For my mount, vertically the holes are only 2.5-3" apart, tops, so I guess toggles are a no-go, because even though I can space the holes apart horizontally by 3', that means practically it will almost seem like I'm just securing w/ just 2 screws instead of 4 since vertically they are so close. My TV is 60" and weighs about 68lbs. I guess I'll have to shop for another mount.

8-10" apart? That is quite far and I suppose great weight distribution. For my mount, vertically the holes are only 2.5-3" apart, tops, so I guess toggles are a no-go, because even though I can space the holes apart horizontally by 3', that means practically it will almost seem like I'm just securing w/ just 2 screws instead of 4 since vertically they are so close. My TV is 60" and weighs about 68lbs. I guess I'll have to shop for another mount.

I would get a mount that holds at least 80 pounds so you have alot of leeway. I was confused with mine initially because there is a narrow mount which was circular and had 3" screw holesand then a wider rectangleto which it was attached. At first I did not realize it but these are 2 different mounts and you use one or the other. You talke off the 3" square with rounded portion mount if it is like mine, attach the rectangular or square plate to the wall and those drill holes are about 10 inches apart. You do not use the 3" square with rounded area.

One other thing, people said that a 32 inch TV was 68 lbs. so I quoted that but I must admit I thought my TV's weighed less and were closer to 35 or 40 pounds. I would not want you to think that I got away with weighing a 68 lb TV in case it was lighter. You can probably look up on the Samsung web site and I am sure they say what the weight is. I don't have it in front of me but the mount was made by a company I believe had a name beginning with the letter "N".

The new LED tv's are substantially lighter and even a 46" Samsung only weighs about 40lbs. The weight of the mount is now sometimes as heavy as the tv itself, but with the new Samsung mounting system the 40 pounds can be easily hung with butterfly bolts on drywall with no fear. However, as everyone above has said, if you have a levered mount that's another situation as they're super heavy and produce a lot of torque. I'd only trust it on concrete or wood - definitely not metal studs as the metal is ridiculously thin.

Back