News   Jul 05, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 681     10 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 408     0 

Condo walls for hanging flatscreen TV?

I tapped my wall and it sounds hollow in some parts, so I assume that it's not concrete.

Since my wall is presumably w/ metal studs, I assume that the minimum I need to do is find to metal studs, and put 2 screws (w/ toggle bolts) into each stud?

EDIT: I guess this is a useful link for me?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4814406_install-plasma-tv-metal-studs.html

I never considered putting toggle bolts through a stud before.. that's not a bad idea.. but what I have done in teh past is put toggle bolts through the drywall area.. I used drywall screws on the stud part..

I don't know if you can actually put the toggles onto the metal studs on the other side as you usually push it through the front. That could be a potential problem. I guess one can do it but it means a bigger opening, putting the screw through and attaching the toggle behind.

I don't know if you can actually put the toggles on the other side as you usually push it through the front. I guess one can do it but it means a bigger opening, putting the screw through and attaching the toggle behind.

If you have the ability to attach the toggle from behind, then you might has well put plywood between the studs :)

I don't know if you can actually put the toggles onto the metal studs on the other side as you usually push it through the front. That could be a potential problem. I guess one can do it but it means a bigger opening, putting the screw through and attaching the toggle behind.

Actually, this brings me to my question: how exactly does the toggle bolt tighten? Won't it just be 'free-floating' inside the wall, spinning along when I torque the screw?

Actually, this brings me to my question: how exactly does the toggle bolt tighten? Won't it just be 'free-floating' inside the wall, spinning along when I torque the screw?

The toggle part is pushed into the wall after it's been slightly attached to the bolt/screw. Once inside it opens then you pull the screw a bit as you tighten it. The toggle part bites into the wall.

I've never encountered metal studs before (only mounted on concrete before). Can you please describe how you did it?

How heavy will your flat screen be? I specifically chose an ultra-slim/ultra-light LED tv so that I can install just to the drywall. Samsung sells ultra-slim tv's and mounting hardware that enable you to install to drywall (and hang your tv like a picture frame). Also, keep in mind that you can't run your power cord through the wall.

Anyway, here's my current setup:

livingroom_tv.png

I also have to refer to a previous post of yours regarding furniture set up. We have a pretty similar layout and I mounted my tv on the wall that you want your couch against. I would really consider doing it this way for many reasons, mainly for aesthetics, flow and efficient use of space. Here's my couch (where you'd want to mount your tv):

livingroom_couch.png

Anyway, in a unit the size of yours more than 1 tv would be overkill. The distance from your bed to where you'd want your tv is also too far. Lastly, a bedroom should only really be used for two reasons ;)

Last edited:
The toggle part is pushed into the wall after it's been slightly attached to the bolt/screw. Once inside it opens then you pull the screw a bit as you tighten it. The toggle part bites into the wall.

I assume the 1st time I pull it will bite and then I don't have to worry about it and just continue screwing in (since I'll then be pushing against the screw)?

How heavy will your flat screen be? I specifically chose an ultra-slim/ultra-light LED tv so that I can install just to the drywall. Samsung sells ultra-slim tv's and mounting hardware that enable you to install to drywall (and hang your tv like a picture frame). Also, keep in mind that you can't run your power cord through the wall.

Anyway, here's my current setup:

I also have to refer to a previous post of yours regarding furniture set up. We have a pretty similar layout and I mounted my tv on the wall that you want your couch against. I would really consider doing it this way for many reasons, mainly for aesthetics, flow and efficient use of space. Here's my couch (where you'd want to mount your tv):

Anyway, in a unit the size of yours more than 1 tv would be overkill. The distance from your bed to where you'd want your tv is also too far. Lastly, a bedroom should only really be used for two reasons ;)

Hey, nice pix; you have good taste. Yup, I'm getting a Samsung also, it'll be 68+11 lbs for the mount, so 79 lbs total. Samsung doesn't have that mount for my size, unfortunately. For the wires, I'm just going w/ the 'trough' technique as I'm not too big on completely hiding cables.

Re sofa placement, I don't have a big wall like yours so actually I couldn't put a TV there even if I wanted to... I like the idea of only having 1 TV and will give it a go viewing not only from the sofa but also the bedroom (anyway, that is probably the only place I can logically hang the TV, w/ or w/o consideration for viewing from the bedroom).

Agree with Wooba. Toggle is loosely screwed on end of screw. Then pushed through. It self tightens in the manner he describes.
When you get it, just try one without putting it in the wall and it will become clear to you and you'll know how to do it after.

From ehow.com:

install-plasma-tv-metal-studs-1.1-800X800.jpg

You can install your wall-mounted plasma TV into metal studs using toggle bolts. Toggle bolts will provide the strength necessary to hold your TV and maintain the integrity of the metal stud.
Mounting brackets for wall-mounted plasma TVs come in two pieces. One piece is separate and is mounted directly to the wall. Attached to the back of the television is the other part of the mounting bracket. How your two brackets join together depends on the manufacturer's specifications.

Read more: How to Install a Plasma TV on Metal Studs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4814406_install-plasma-tv-metal-studs.html#ixzz13ZIjRQ9E
  1. Purchase toggle bolts to fit the screw holes in the television's mounting bracket. This part of the mounting bracket is the piece that is separate from the television and is installed directly onto the wall.
  2. Use a stud finder to determine the location of the metal stud. Mark the center of the metal stud.
  3. Place the mounting bracket against the wall. The holes in the mounting bracket should align with the center of the metal stud. Using a pencil, mark the location of the holes onto the wall.
  4. The number of holes in your mounting bracket will depend on the manufacturer's specifications. Make a mark for each hole.
  5. Drill through the wall and into the metal stud, making a drill hole for each mark. Each hole should be just large enough to fit a folded toggle bolt through it.
  6. Separate the toggle from the bolt. Slide the bolt through the hole in the mounting bracket. Slide the toggle back onto the bolt on the backside of the mount--that is, the side that will face the wall. Place the toggle just on the end of the bolt. Repeat for each hole in the bracket.
  7. Fold the wings of the toggles on each bolt, and insert into the drilled holes. The toggles and the ends of the bolts are inside the wall. Place the mounting bracket flush to the wall.
  8. Using a screwdriver, tighten the bolts until the mounting bracket is secured to the wall.
  9. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for joining the attached mounting bracket to the installed wall bracket.

Read more: How to Install a Plasma TV on Metal Studs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4814406_install-plasma-tv-metal-studs.html#ixzz13ZItmEvo

OP: Consider reading my thread link

I initially thought my unit-separation wall was metal stud drywall too, because I *thought* it was making a hollow noise when I knocked... when my installer came, he laughed and confirmed it was drywall-on-concrete. Whatever noise I heard, he said it was probably due to a tiny gap between the drywall layer and the concrete. He appeared to use a hammer drill with Tapcons (blue screws) to install the mount's bracket. The drill made an absolutely horrendous EXTREMELY LOUD screeching noise as it dug into the concrete; whatever doubts I still had by that point, were easily laid to rest. After installing, he invited me to do some pull-ups on the bracket. I did about 5 and it didn't budge (I'm 175 lb).

This happened about 3 mo. ago and I've been enjoying my wall-mounted TV since then...

you haven't been in a condo in the past 5 - 10 years have you ?!?

Maybe in downtown they're all metal stud drywall, but drive around NYCC/North York and everything under construction here has concrete walls between units. Just as it's always been...

I've never encountered metal studs before (only mounted on concrete before). Can you please describe how you did it?

Option 1:A) Use a Steel Drill bit (make sure you ARE catching the steel stud). B) Use Butterfly screws (big ones). C) Say a prayer to the Gravity Gods

Option 2: Don't do it.

Your builder should have offered you a reinforcement option for the wall where you want to hang the T.V. They would have raised the wall plug and cable outlet as a second option. I know mine offered these options when we bought our place, but we dididn't bother with it.

Thx for the added info. I'm curious why ppl are saying that metal studs are weak...so that they can't even hold a TV? I'm confused because aren't they supposed to support the floors of a building? Or are there concrete beams elsewhere in the building to do that?

Thx for the added info. I'm curious why ppl are saying that metal studs are weak...so that they can't even hold a TV? I'm confused because aren't they supposed to support the floors of a building? Or are there concrete beams elsewhere in the building to do that?

They are solid to hold drywall in place but they tend with weight to torque. At least, that is what I have found.
Still, as Wooba said, better to use them than nothing as I did and just put up toggle/wing screws. Also, Wooba's point that if there are water lines (especially if the wall is in common with a bathroom wall or kitchen wall), if there is a leak, drywall weakens and you may lose the TV. As I said, mine should have no water lines as it was in common with living room/dining room walls off the bedrooms.

Back