News   Aug 23, 2024
 955     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 513     0 

Condo market to crash in Toronto?

i know that the markets are vey different, but there has definitely been a substantial slowing in the condo market down here in san diego.

You will find that the Toronto new housing market has slowed substantially as well. It's just that condos in 2000 represented something like 15% of the market and now they represent closer to 60% of the new home market.

Simply put, somewhere along the line condos became fashionable and single-detached homes are out.

A lot of this shift is cost-driven. As land availability tightens, the cost of single-family dwellings continues to rise beyond the reach of many people, prompting them to look at multi-unit dwellings as an alternative.

During this world-wide real estate market boom, if you look at all the major markets and compare them with Toronto, Toronto's increases have been minimal.

Seoul, London, LA, San Francisco, South Florida, New York City, Boston, Vancouver, Alberta. Look at these markets and tell me Toronto prices have risen dramatically. If there is a bubble burst or correction Toronto will go relatively unscathed.

I'm with TrickyRicky. There's more going on here than the simple numbers show, because demographics and ideas about condos are changing. Before they were seen as simply a "stepping stone" for young people who couldn't yet afford houses. After 3 years in a condo downtown, you "grew up," bought a house in the burbs, and started reproducing. But now there are other factors coming into play, such as:

- Traffic is continuing to worsen in the GTA, and the idea of commuting two hours each way to work, just so you can own a patch of dead grass in the outer burbs, isn't as automatically appealing to everyone as it used to be.

- Gas prices are continuing to go up, making the suburban multi-car household where you basically need one car per each adult in the household relatively more expensive than downtown condo living, where you can more easily survive with only one car for the family, or perhaps none.

- New condos are simply much nicer than the ones they built a decade or two ago, with stainless steel, granite, and all that stuff people like. You don't necessarily have to live in a bland concrete box with laminate cupboards anymore if you don't want to (though lots of those are still around).

- Pollsters keep telling us that "the environment" is high on many Canadians priority lists now. Sure most of it is just talk and no action, but definitely there is more of a "cool" factor to living in more sustainable non-suburban areas now, where you have the option of cycling to get around, or taking transit, than there was a decade or so ago. This might influence the lifestyle decisions of some younger people coming into the market.

- There are also rumours of a growing trend of empty-nesters returning to the city, and to condo life, after their kids (finally) move out. After decades of home maintenance, an all-inclusive monthly condo fee suddenly doesn't look so bad. And someone else shovels the snow. Whether this trend is real or imagined, I don't know.

I'm interested to see how of these different factors will play out over the next few years, and how a peak in the condo market will interact with a peak in the general housing market, which I believe is also due (and is already well underway in the US).

My uneducated guess: there will be some correction, and some tougher times ahead, but it won't be a devastating crash. Lots of people want condos, lots of people who might prefer a house simply can't afford one. I can't see either of those core factors changing anytime soon.

Well said. I think one other factor is financing. In Toronto, construction usually only starts when most of the building is sold - around 70% or so. By the time it goes up, it's usually sold out. It's not like other places where developers take bigger risks wrt sales.

Well said. I think one other factor is financing. In Toronto, construction usually only starts when most of the building is sold - around 70% or so. By the time it goes up, it's usually sold out. It's not like other places where developers take bigger risks wrt sales.

Ahh but most buyers of condos are investors..

Crash or no crash the significant impact of this boom is a fundamental shift in the mind-set of the regional population towards acceptance of multi-residential living. I think this is the most important issue to remember when discussing the condo market.

I don't really buy that. Toronto has always had plenty of multi-residential buildings. Between immigrants, people moving out of apartments into condos, and condo-dwellers who would have moved into apartments, condos really aren't changing the mindset of Torontonians that much. I'd say more people are looking to own property rather than rent, thus driving new construction, but I'd need stats to prove it.

Don't forget that Flipper has been loading up on properties too. That wasn't always the case. We don't even know if he lives here.

Back