666     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 454     0 

Columbia Sportswear to build 28,000 sq foot Flagship Store

vistaway

Member Bio
Reaction score
Columbia to open flagship in Toronto

The fashion industry may be stuck in a deep freeze, but outerwear giant Columbia Sportswear Co. is still braving the headwinds of expanding into Canada, inking a deal to open its first location in this country in 2010.

Columbia, one of the largest manufacturers of outdoor clothing in the world, will open its first Canadian location just steps from the cavernous Mountain Equipment Co-op store in downtown Toronto.

"The deal was signed last week," confirmed Jane Baldwin, vice-president of retail leasing and investment sales at Lennard Commercial Realty.

Columbia will build a three-storey 28,000-square foot building. "They saw this as a very strong market," Ms. Baldwin added. "They are considering opening one other flagship store in Canada."

The news is a bright spot in an industry overwhelmed by plummeting profit, store closures and layoffs.

In the last week alone, vast closures, layoffs, or both, have been announced at Starbucks, department stores Target and Macy's, and Liz Claiborne Inc., which owns the brands Lucky, Mexx, Juicy Couture and Kate Spade.

The U. S. market has seen a wave of retail insolvencies, and while Canada has thus far remained comparatively unscathed, many retailers are reluctant to expand.

Last month, Home Depot Canada agreed to pay an $11.5-million break-up fee to back out of a deal to open a store in the Toronto neighbourhood where Columbia is slated to open. But rival home improvement retailer Lowe's, which has 11 big-box outlets in this country, has confirmed it will stick to plans to open three more stores in Ontario by the end of the company's second quarter. IKEA Canada is also expanding in Winnipeg and Ottawa, the retailer announced yesterday.

"Columbia has no debt and lots of cash," Ms. Baldwin noted.

"In any downturn, the people that have strong balance sheets are able to take advantage of the downturn in the markets. Unfortunately, it means the end of some good retail. It's the financing that's the issue -- the banks become very reluctant," particularly in retailers of discretionary items such as apparel and electronics.

Canada will mark the fifth store opening for Columbia, which currently has stores in the home town of Portland, Ore., as well as Seattle and Minnesota and is scheduled to open a fourth outlet in Chicago later this year.

Still, the outfitter has not escaped the downturn -- its shares have fallen 27% in the last year, compared with a 53% drop in apparel and accessories stocks -- and it has scaled back its own store openings accordingly.

"The accelerated deterioration of the global economy since September has prompted us to recalibrate the pace of our planned investments in retail stores and brand advertising in 2009," chief executive Tim Boyle said last month. "We have tabled plans to open branded retail stores in several key metro areas in the U. S. and made adjustments to our 2009 marketing and advertising budgets."

Columbia, an 80-year-old brand that took off in the 1980s after introducing layered jackets for skiing and hunting, will sell clothing, footwear, accessories and equipment under its house and Sorel brands at the Toronto store. The flagship also includes a separate entry for its Mountain Hardwear brand, an approximately 3,000-square-foot outlet with apparel, equipment and the Montrail trail-running footwear.

hshaw@nationalpost.com

Source: http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1250851

This is definately a good news story for retailing in downtown Toronto...just wonder why so close to MEC? Does anyone know exactly where they are going to go....are we talking about along King St W.

I suppose there are still plenty of parking lots in the area that could fit a building of this size...

This is definately a good news story for retailing in downtown Toronto...just wonder why so close to MEC?

bAuHaUs, I thought you were in the business of finding locations for retailers... in which case you would know that some types of retailers benefit from clustering in one area with their competitors. Shoppers who are already heading to MEC, in this case, will only have to go a few steps away to check the competition. That's the reason that Europe Bound is down there too: the more stores covering a niche in one area the better for sales in total for all the customers the cluster will bring.

Yes I'm in the business of representing retailers....my only thought with Columbia is that the use would be better placed in a part of the market that doesn't have a same use; like Queen West for example.....yes, quick serve restaurants do flock together since the average ticket is $5-$10; but a columbia product is somewhat different. I'm a proponent of spreading niche retail around the market that's all. I haven't been down there of late, do you know where exactly they are going?

unimaginative's guess is interesting, but 28,000 sq ft on that site?

i dunno.

has anything replaced the Olde Hide Houses's King West location, or that Mini dealership yet? Those are only a block or so to the west. I haven't been along that stretch of King in a bit...

Sounds plausible....I'll post an update on their location once I hear.

Olde Hide house space is still for lease, but I think the old Midas on the corner would facilitate a new build.

There's space at Queen and Portland. From that thread in P&C:

From NRU, Jan. 23, 2009

QUEEN WEST AND PORTLAND

...About two weeks ago Home Depot began talking with RioCan about pulling out of the site, Davloor said.
One of the tenants is likely to be a grocery store, said
Davloor, though he did not elaborate on a potential second
tenant. Home Depot was to have leased 75,000-sq.ft. of
space. RioCan is now looking to create two units that will
measure approximately 45-50,000-sq.ft. and 25-30,000-
sq.ft. Davloor said that RioCan hopes to be able to
announce new tenants in three or four months time....

The original article states that Columbia will construct a three-storey building, with 28k sqft of floor space. That's about a 9500 sqft footprint, which sounds about right if it's the Midas (ex M5V showroom) corner.

Yes, they are taking the SWC of King & Blue Jay Way (old Midas) as confirmed yesterday by Lennard Commercial.

bAuHaUs, I thought you were in the business of finding locations for retailers... in which case you would know that some types of retailers benefit from clustering in one area with their competitors. Shoppers who are already heading to MEC, in this case, will only have to go a few steps away to check the competition. That's the reason that Europe Bound is down there too: the more stores covering a niche in one area the better for sales in total for all the customers the cluster will bring.

In economics, this is called Hotelling's Theory, and it's quite fascinating. Here's an easy way to learn it including fun diagrams:

http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2...-or-why-gas-stations-have-competitors-nearby/

Also, I started a thread about this in P&C based on the exact same article before I noticed this thread (sorry).

Last edited:
the ex-M5V sales centre has For Lease signs in the window.. did the Columbia store fall through?

Back