News   Aug 23, 2024
 995     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 520     0 

Clubland vs. Residential

The Entertainment District is a fantastic place, it's incredibly safe too considering the crowds and the general state of drunkeness.

As someone who frequents regularly I can't see why the city would want to curb this or see it as a problem, it generates revenue, gets 905 kids into the city who would never otherwise come here and spend money and as mentioned, really gives Toronto a sense of place.

A good friend of mine is a Toronto police officer who works this area and says it's not a problem at all, on of their biggest concerns is cabbies blocking fire exits when picking and dropping off people, now that's small potatoes if you ask me.

Those crying for the city to put the nail in the coffin are most likely those too old to enjoy it or those who completely missed the boat in the first place. Those that grew up with it truly appreciate it for what it is.

The Entertainment District is a fantastic place, it's incredibly safe too considering the crowds and the general state of drunkeness.
No it's not. Have you not seen the statistics?

As someone who frequents regularly I can't see why the city would want to curb this or see it as a problem, it generates revenue, gets 905 kids into the city who would never otherwise come here and spend money and as mentioned, really gives Toronto a sense of place.
I'm happy to see people from across the GTA party in downtown Toronto, don't get me wrong. However an urban-minded "sense of place" is quite at odds with what goes on there. It's overtly singe-use "suburban style" planning that has sequestered a certain type of development to a specific node.

A good friend of mine is a Toronto police officer who works this area and says it's not a problem at all, on of their biggest concerns is cabbies blocking fire exits when picking and dropping off people, now that's small potatoes if you ask me.
I'm sure the problems are exaggerated by some, but I think you friend is probably in the minority in terms of police opinion about the issue. Everything I've read has suggested the police are overburdened and understaffed when it comes to policing clubland.

Those crying for the city to put the nail in the coffin are most likely those too old to enjoy it or those who completely missed the boat in the first place. Those that grew up with it truly appreciate it for what it is.
I haven't read anybody (not even Adam Vaughan) who wants to completely kill it. It's more about too much in too little of an area and starting a discussion about why all the clubs in this city are in one area and whether or not this is a good thing.

BTW, I grew-up with clubland downtown, checked-out the boat more than a few times and then avoided it like the plague thereafter.

kdub333, i will also date myself by adding 23 hop to the list of pioneers of the entertainment district. too bad its home at 318 Richmond is about to be knocked down for yet another condo

as long as the Hell's Angels need places to launder money and sell drugs the entertainment district will be around

I remember the Hop very well. Great soundsystem for a mostly afterhours joint.
Do you know what condo development is going up there? I'm very curious how they are advertising this site right in the middle of the district.

Strangely enough, the last great club Toronto had was located at King W & Strachan and most people in the neighbourhood didn't even know it existed (unless they wanted to partake in the goodness). Yes I'm talking about Industry and yes it's a good case that well managed clubs can exist anywhere with little impact on the surrounding neighbourhood if done right.

Agreed. Although the drugs were a bit much, to me Industry at the turn of the century was what Twilight Zone was in the 80's.

I think Urban Shocker was right, it was called StiLife. Great joint and great design. A standout for it's time.

"With the exception of the late System Soundbar"

awwww System, how I miss you... the best music down there in my opinon

I don't know what StiLife eventually became - I assume it expanded in size and then folded or became something else? Khabouth was an instigator of the club scene in those days. Our gang went there shortly after it opened - it was in a basement, had ceiling-to-floor metal chains, and was dark, naturally. At that time, those old warehouses south of Queen and north of King were already in transition, with counterculture organizations such as The Body Politic and Pink Triangle Press located there.

I long for the days of Go-Go, located across from StilLife, especially Go-Go Men, on Wednesday nights!

Go-Go was in the old Whiskey Saigon space, wasn't it? I vaguely remember going there when I was in law school.

Am I the only one who remebers when Guvernment was RPM, and on Saturday nights they had a buffet, and the decor would change from missles and paratroopers to underwater to god knows what?

Yes, the old Whisky Saigon space. It had three floors, depending on what mood you were in (naughty? go to the dark room. nice? go to the white room, although I am oversimplifying) and the type of music you wished to hear.
I went to RPM on Sunday nights when I was underage, for their all-ages dances.

Yeah, it was definitely a product of its time. The white room was occasionally too gino/gina-ish for me and I would often flee to the dark room.

Am I the only one who remebers when Guvernment was RPM, and on Saturday nights they had a buffet, and the decor would change from missles and paratroopers to underwater to god knows what?
I have an RPM shot glass somewhere. I went once before the name change. I also remember when the Kool Haus was The Warehouse.

If people want to live in downtown, they should stop bitching about noice. If they want quiet place, move to Muskoka or somewhere. They have a choice, nobody force them to live near the entertainment district! :rolleyes:

Back