News   Sep 06, 2024
 452     1 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 367     0 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 571     0 

City's downtown population surges

Planners sent 15,550 questionnaires to residents in the area bounded by Lake Ontario, the Don Valley, Bathurst St. and Dupont St.-Rosedale Valley Rd.
It's right in the article.

The explosion of high-rise condominiums in Toronto's downtown isn't an illusion: The population of the downtown core has grown by 65 per cent in the past 30 years, and nearly 10 per cent in the past five.
That makes downtown Toronto one of the fastest growing communities in Greater Toronto, says a new report by the city's planning staff.

Still, downtown growth was dramatic: 17,000 housing units were built in the area between 2001 and 2006. The downtown population stood at nearly 169,000 last year, up from 102,000 five years earlier.
I just noticed this - in the first paragraph it says downtown grew by 65% over 30 years and 10% in the last five. In the next paragraph it says it went from 102,000 to 169,000 (65%) in five years. So which is it?? 17,000 units over the last five years is definitely believable, but 67,000 people in five years seems high.

Downtown Toronto is becoming a playground for the Rich and the weller to do crowd.
I don't know about that. I'm certainly not rich. True I bought our house in Cabbagetown in 1998, before the value rose dramatically, but that's just about playing the market.

I grew up in Mississauga, and through that experience I would never raise my kids in the 'burbs. Instead, I love living downtown, and my kids walk everything, from the Riverdale Farm, to school, to their dance classes, etc. Downtown's growth isn't all single or childless condo dwellers.

True, you can't be poor to own downtown property, but even in Milton or Pickering a four bedroom house is going to cost you about $300K. Thus, if you're poor, the entire GTA is not for you, as far as home ownership goes.

Downtown Toronto's Population Surge...

Everyone: I fully understand why Downtown Toronto's population is growing-it is so appealing to live in the central core area and be in the center of everything that Toronto has to offer. Instead of a long commute,being able to walk to work or take public transit a short distance certainly has its appeal.

The downside is if the population growth is only wealthy people coming in and pricing out anyone with lesser incomes-as seen in places like Manhattan,NYC. Some areas have boomed due to this-such as Brooklyn's Park Slope and just across the Hudson River in Hoboken,NJ. I know there are plenty of accessible neighborhoods in Toronto that are more affordable then Downtown. Is the cost of living in Toronto-I remember that at one time it was the most expensive North American city to live in-pricing people totally out-I have read that Hamilton is a attractive-and less expensive-alternate place to live. From visiting HML twice myself-in 1985 and 1990 and the great recent pics posted in the City Photos section,HML has quite an appeal to me. LI MIKE

LIM- Can you remember when Toronto was the most expensive city in North America to live in? We're seeing the most expensive prices for real estate ever, and ever higher taxes. According to the data I've seen, the present case is that both New York and Los Angeles are more expensive than Toronto.

With this said I invite people to the Junction. We've got plenty of land to develop (north of Dundas and Keele), a nice urban feel, public transit, and High Park/Bloor West is an easy bike ride away. So is Roncesvalles. You'll be part of at least three cool 'hoods. And there's the arts fest, a street festival that has transcended that "local business mass advertising event" status that is noticeable at other festivals.

When Toronto had North America's highest living cost-

Jnist: I believe that Toronto had the highest cost of NA living in the 1987-89 period. I remember that it barely edged NYC for this honor. Other cities have passed Toronto by such as San Francisco-San Jose,California-in the late 90s into this decade when Silicon Valley was booming before the crux of the dot- com bust. Today some of the USA's highest housing costs are still found there-with nearby Santa Cruz leading them all. It amazes me how many cities in the world today have higher cost of living and housing then NYC and TO.
LI MIKE

could be as NYC was in the gutter back in those days...

NYC hit rock bottom in the mid 70s!

LMD: NYC hit rock bottom in the mid to late 70s. By the late 80s NYC had taken quite an upswing-as an example NYC area housing prices peaked in 1987 before the stock market crash correction that year. Remember the 80s were the days of YUPPIES-which NYC was known for. Toronto edged NYC then for the title of North America's most expensive city. LI MIKE

however the crack epidemic peaked in the late 80's leading to many many murders...

Yes-we can not forget the late 80s CRACK epidemic!

LMD: That came to my mind this afternoon after I placed my last post here. The CRACK cocaine epidemic began in earnest in 1988 and I recall about 1990 NYC had a record high homicide rate of more than one thousand per year. Entire neighborhoods - especially poor minority communities - were held hostage literally during this epidemic - with record crime rates all around to boot. After 1993 - and especially after Rudy Guiliani was elected NYC Mayor in 1994 - when the crackdown on all crime was started did all violent crime rates drop in NYC. All was not all rosy in NYC by any means then! LI MIKE

Back