News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

CityPlace: St. Jamestown in waiting?

WestOne

It has been occupied for well over a year now. Even before the massive flood the elevators seldom functioned correctly.
More than just a few kinks to work out.

It has been occupied for well over a year now. Even before the massive flood the elevators seldom functioned correctly.
More than just a few kinks to work out.

well, yeah...the more complex the technology, the more things that can go wrong. cityplace was always a disaster waiting to happen. it is advertised as "high-tech" right? the elevators will likely be the first of many expensive mistakes that residents will continue to fund...they got all sorts of crazy stuff in those buildings, right? i don't know whether it'll be st. jamestown, but if things started going wrong in a brand-new building i invested in - i would simply sell my unit and move to less-advanced digs.

in truth, who knows what will happen? nobody.

well, yeah...the more complex the technology, the more things that can go wrong. cityplace was always a disaster waiting to happen. it is advertised as "high-tech" right? the elevators will likely be the first of many expensive mistakes that residents will continue to fund...they got all sorts of crazy stuff in those buildings, right? i don't know whether it'll be st. jamestown, but if things started going wrong in a brand-new building i invested in - i would simply sell my unit and move to less-advanced digs.

in truth, who knows what will happen? nobody.

Yeah, complex cutting-edge technologies like elevators.

Elevator problems are very common in brand new buildings as it takes a while to get things calibrated properly.

Very true. Unfortunately floods (or big leaks at least) are relatively frequent as well.

Speaking of this, a while ago, I came upon a site called "Cityplace Sucks" or somehing along those lines. It outlined all the problems residents had in the buildings. I can't find it through google anymore though. Anyone else stumble upon it??

West One issues

Going on 2 months now with only 3 working elevators in a 49 floor tower, when the 3 left are working. People were also told in the past that the wind breaks the elevators so avoid opening your doors and windows. Surprisingly enough other Toronto high rises have doors and windows that open and yet their elevators still manage to work.

Does the city actually inspect these buildings?

more problems

The power failure from 6:30 pm to 2:00 am, at Harbourview Estates that affected the 4 highrise condos, townhouse and lofts that make up this community is an issue of concern for all affected owners and residents. Various unofficial explanations exist of what caused this problem.
One version is that a transformer was knocked out and this triggered the power failure in the HVE community.
Another is that there was a flood in 3 Navy Wharf and the water tricked down the risers affecting a number of suites that became water soaked and this in turn triggered the power failure.
There were scarce updates provided to owners and residents on the nature of the problem to allow for informed decision making by owners and residents. Power was restored about 8 hours later.
In terms of effective communications and emergency preparedness, information is key.
What are your opinions on the various issues around communication in this situation?

Power outage:

also when the power goes out you can not access you floor via the stairs as they are locked accept on crossover floors. so you trapped there unless a neighbor hears you pounding.

Reminds me of those old mini-xmas lights... when there's a problem with one, they all go out.

-------------

Blackout forces some to climb 50 stories in the dark
OMAR EL AKKAD
The Globe and Mail
April 21, 2009

Residents of several condos near downtown Toronto's waterfront expressed frustration and anger yesterday after a power outage left thousands without power for much of the weekend.

The lights went out at several condos and an adjoining gymnasium near the Rogers Centre, some of them part of the massive Concord CityPlace development projects, shortly after 6 p.m. on Saturday. The blackout, which lasted almost 24 hours in some buildings, forced some residents to spend the night in hotels or with family.

While some backup lights immediately switched on at the gym and other areas, there were none at all for several hours in at least one of the condo buildings.

With elevators shut down, residents in one tower climbed up to 50 stories in a pitch black emergency stairwell to get home, the only light coming from their cellphones and MP3 players. Because most of the emergency stairwell doors are locked - with the exception of the ground floor and about 10 cross-over floors - residents eventually began jamming junk mail into the locks to keep the doors wedged open for others.

Toronto Hydro crews were able to restore power to one of the towers at around 8 p.m. Saturday, and another tower just before 3 a.m. Sunday, according to Vanessa Nero, a Toronto Hydro spokeswoman.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, security at a third tower on Mariner Terrace advised residents that Toronto Hydro would be attempting to turn the power back on shortly. The problem wasn't fully fixed for more than 12 hours, with the electricity fully restored everywhere at around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

Ms. Nero said the issue was not with the utility's lines, but with "customer-owned equipment." Although she would not say what that equipment is, she specified that Toronto Hydro's customer is the property manager.

"Work has to be done by the property manager of the building before we can resume power," she said. "It's a customer issue that they have to repair."

An engineer at one of the buildings early Sunday morning was overheard saying that flooding in one tower blew the fuses for several of the adjoining units.

However Daniel Barron, a property manager for several of the affected buildings, said the initial cause of the outage was a broken high-voltage line at one of the buildings, the cause of which is still unclear.

"The flooding was a co-incidence," he said. "A really horrible co-incidence."

In total, nine buildings suffered blackouts of varying lengths, from a couple of hours to almost a full day.

Several of the CityPlace towers are closely connected, sharing a sprawling underground garage.

"The problem is this: Why is it when something affects one building it affects all the buildings?" asked Gary Pieters, a resident in one of the affected towers. "That's a development flaw."

Mr. Pieters said he received very little communication about the nature and length of the blackout. Uncertain about his safety, he decided to spend the night at a hotel.

He recently went online, asking residents to give him their thoughts about what happened. He ended up getting dozens of angry responses.

"The communication, emergency preparedness and security in this community is totally absent," wrote one resident. "It is a blessing that no one was injured on the weekend."

Crap towers

So the power went out on many units at Westone (worstone) at 11pm last night. At 12:30 pm the next day they finally, while I was present called an electrician. All night nothing was done. Very normal in a Cityplace poorly build and managed building.
Bad construction, bad management!

So the power went out on many units at Westone (worstone) at 11pm last night. At 12:30 pm the next day they finally, while I was present called an electrician. All night nothing was done. Very normal in a Cityplace poorly build and managed building.
Bad construction, bad management!

Badly managed, maybe. I think it's time for a change of management to try others? As for the electricity being out. Several parts of the city had blackouts too. My parents house had a black out as well. Last night there was announcement they called hydro to come check and said various parts of the city had electricity outage. Not sure if hydro dispatched any? Too many blackouts in the city and we weren't in priority to be dispatched to? Hydro doesn't care? No idea... I didn't get power until 2-3pm.

As for elevator problems. I read ROCP had elevator problems as well due to water damage.
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?p=304744#post304744 I'm sure other buildings probably have elevator problems as well due to water damage.

However one problem I do have with westone is their lack of public communication. When there's a problem, the concierge should inform or post a message up for residents to inform them of what is happening instead of just sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Last time there was an elevator problem. When I asked about the elevator, all I got was "oh, only one of them is working". Not even an explanation of why only one is working. Some assumed 3 elevators were in service. But only 1 is suppose to. The elevators all seem to be stuck on certain floors. It was anyone's guess why only one worked. No explanation. Didn't even say if anyone was being called in to fix or check it. I can understand if only one works due to issues like water or some problems. But communication to tenants is important to explain why and that something is being done about it. It's a service they're suppose to provide which they aren't doing a good job.

I don't think you can blame the builder for bad management. After the first year, they don't have control of it. It's the board of directors who have control. The board of directors can change management or whatever they want.

Last edited:
scathing review

One real estate agent has a

scathing review of Harbour View Estates that points out many of the problems mentioned.

It's funny about the blackout. I was told unauthorized appliances tripped the system and caused the blackout. The buildings are designed to take great loads from all electronic gears and appliances. My friend suggested only drug labs suck up enough juice to trip a system. HAHA!

Back