News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 762     0 

CityPlace: St. Jamestown in waiting?

I couldn't help but wonder whether if this morning's fog/smog shrouding the towers would make them look more appealing.

(Much like when they used to throw the gauze over the camera lens for Linda Evans on Dynasty).

DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

It's hard for me to see Cityplace going towards low-income rentals. As someone said, each phase seems to be getting more and more expensive.

I had an opportunity to visit the showroom recently, and their phases west of Spadina are definitely moving more and more upscale. The cheapest of their current phases (IIRC) is selling for around $460-500/sqrft; hard to see these make good candidates as cheap rentals. You can't even get such things as non-stainless steel appliances or non-granite countertops anymore.

Some photos of typical units sold now (no upgrades):

1451383318_4ad6824e77.jpg

1450524493_f7aed4640d.jpg

Everyone has their own tastes, but I have to say I love the way West One turned out:

1436118318_d606bb79f8_b.jpg

Neo/Montage are also coming out well. Oh and hey look there's the street car!
1435215687_a0d1ae4642_b.jpg

I was hoping these buildings would have some sort of street presence on Spadina, thereby connecting the city to the waterfront. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened.

Yup, it briefly turns Spadina from a busy street into a wind-swept boulevard. Hopefully future development will liven up the sidewalks.

I think that the added lanes, constant traffic, and large gap at the rail corridor already make Spadina seem like a windswept boulevard. Actually, the street starts becoming unattractive to pedestrians at King. There's little that addresses the street south of there, and you see very few people walking, despite the park.

I hate to say it, but it's almost a situation where Spadina around Cityplace might need a La Defense-style decking-over.

As I said, "I hate to say it".

And as I said, "almost".

It would at least be interesting and different. Toronto has very few significant multilevel urban areas, so it could be cool.

I also really hate to say it, but a Front Street Extension would definitely solve a lot of these problems.

I agree that a Front Street extension would help solve a BIT of the problem. It would also help if Navy Wharf was cut off from Blue Jays Way. There are too many cars travelling down small side streets to get onto the Gardiner. I dont think those roads were ever designed to take on so much rush hour traffic. Simply extend the sidewalk on the south side of Blue Jays Way after it has bent to head east/west to Spadina. Cars cant turn onto Navy Wharf Court to get to Bremner, Spadina and then the Gardiner.
Opening the Simcoe-Lower Simcoe underpass to traffic would also help. I am thinking more and more that it is just going to be a pedestrian underpass as has been mentioned on this board. Only the 2 sides have been dug out. I would have thought the entire width would have been dug at the same time.

Its sad that something which was planned with such passion (St. Jamestown) was allowed slip into its current state - its not as bad as people make it seem but still, reputations make and break neighborhoods...

(CITYPLACE + 20 years = ?!?!?!)

Ive never really gotten the comparisons between St James Town and City Place. Completely different clientel I would think... the older ghettoized one being fairly cheap rentals while the new one is pricey condos which are for purchase plus monthly maintenance fees. Also completely different construction styles... slab apts vs glass tower. Location will also differentiate them, St. James Town is sort of tucked away in a corner, off the beaten path, while CityPlace is front and center and is an entry point into the city for arriving guests... my opinion anyway.

Back