News   Apr 24, 2024
 933     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 612     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

I believe 'The Gallery' collection that fencejack references is in fact the ~10s podium building on Spadina with CIBC at grade joining WestOne with N1/N2

Solaris: Yes, that's the one I'm talking about.

interchange42: I did post in the Real Estate section but had no replies, which is why I came here. But fair enough, I'll stop posting.

June 27 2009

Sobeys @ Montage is open for business ... it was certainly busy this weekend ! :D

IMG_3947.jpg

Sobeys @ Montage is open for business ... it was certainly busy this weekend ! :D

Gasp... how can that be??? I was under the impression that Cityplace was completely isolated from the city and devoid of any pedestrian traffic whatsoever. Not to mention the rampant gang violence and frequent godzilla attacks.

Is it possible that everything I read on UT about cityplace isn't true?

No, you just assume everything you read on UT re: CityPlace is negative, and therefore to you it's not true. There are a lot of negatives and positives about CityPlace, but it's impossible to give a complete assessment due the size, separate phases, and the amount of time it's taken to reach the present, not to mention the amount of time until its full build-out.

Gasp... how can that be??? I was under the impression that Cityplace was completely isolated from the city and devoid of any pedestrian traffic whatsoever. Not to mention the rampant gang violence and frequent godzilla attacks.

Cityplace is absolutely up for debate and discussion, as it should be. Everything can be debated and should be. That's what urbantoronto.ca is all about. Discussion about urbanism (and lack thereof) in Toronto.

Ive been living in CityPlace since 2003 in various condos I have owned and sold from Matrix to Apex and now in Montage. Over all I think the build quality of Montage is best. But unfortunately, the internal designs are not good at all. For example, the first 30 floors have a seperate entrance and have 2 elavators accessible to them. While the 31st to 52nd floor have 3 elavators. I dont have a problem with them having 3 elavators but I do have a concern with having 2 elavators for the first 30 floors. While NEO, which has 20 floors has 3 elavators.

Apart from that, the management running the building is terrible. THings have broken down for months and havent been fixed. The secuirty is lax. They are all kids who just pass the buck to the next person and blame the other department. For example, one guy basically told my neighbour he cannot tow the car in my neighbours spot because towing companies dont work on the weekends. And he said that with a straight face!

Well that my 2 cents on the issues. If the management changed and got a new company to do the security we can have apretty good building on our hands. We have supermarket under the building and park in the corner. How many condos can say they have that?

Any word on how long it will take to repair the damage to the awning on Neo? It was hit by a large truck early last week and to date, nothing has been done.

I like the regent park designs more than the Concord attempt to build a new "neighborhood" at the base of Spadina.Hmm whats so special about a supermarket at the base of the condo,that would attract more "pest" than say a supermarket across from a condo wouldnt you say?.What about the many issues about damaged property and slow repairs and the increasing complaints about rowdy rental tenants and lack of fluid security at these buildings.Before you say I dont live there so I cannot comment,well a friend of my did live there and she moved west towards "suga" because the amount of rentals being occupied by new tenants every 6 months and subleases.

Those are condo board issues as opposed to the planning and site development of a new neighbourhood. Once the condos are registered the only involvement Concord may have is selling units from their remaining unsold stock.

I like the regent park designs more than the Concord attempt to build a new "neighborhood" at the base of Spadina.Hmm whats so special about a supermarket at the base of the condo,that would attract more "pest" than say a supermarket across from a condo wouldnt you say?.What about the many issues about damaged property and slow repairs and the increasing complaints about rowdy rental tenants and lack of fluid security at these buildings.Before you say I dont live there so I cannot comment,well a friend of my did live there and she moved west towards "suga" because the amount of rentals being occupied by new tenants every 6 months and subleases.

lol. Ah yes, another "my friend" comment about Cityplace.

UT is always good for a chuckle...

lol. Ah yes, another "my friend" comment about Cityplace.

UT is always good for a chuckle...

Gei sure.Ignore the problems already associated with these projects,see what happens when you add another 2000 residence into this location.She bought in Sherway if you really want to know.

Last edited:
There's issues with all types of development and not just City place. For example I was visiting 18 yonge and management doesn't seem to care there are flies all over their entrance hallway. I wondered if I breathed in any while I was standing there. Also, I heard the city was chasing after the owner for property tax. Seems the builder didn't pay property tax on behalf of the owner but collected the money. I didn't go up to the suites and amenities so I don't know the state of the building other than the front entrance.

If you want cheapening, infinity elevators were small and slow. I felt a bit claustrophobic. There wasn't a lot of natural lighting in their amenities area either.

I saw a unit at 66 portland street. Entrance was okay. The unit seemed unfinished because the ceiling vents and stuff weren't covered. The closet door creaked too. I don't know about the standard of the build (if parts break easily or not). The washroom cabinet (under the sink) seemed small.

I was also at the MET building. I didn't get any warm feelings about the area either. The entrance hallway felt small since I'm used to very tall ceilings at entrances. The suite was well designed for 2 bdrm, but I found the kitchen cabinets were cheapened and I notice hardwood floors might not be so good. They were a lot of noticeable scratches in the living room. Natural lighting wise, it was decent but not great. Maybe it's the direction the room is facing. I can't comment on amenities. I didn't see them.

I can understand why so many buildings are floor to ceiling glass. People might diss there are too many buildings with it, but people who live there will think differently. You get more natural light with floor to ceiling glass. You can save energy and also natural lighting feels ALOT different than turning on the light.

Also, the renters who complain it's cheaply made, chances are they might not care to take care of the place and break stuff. If you are careful and take care of the unit, it should be alright. I agree some units might not turn out so great, but I wouldn't say all units are bad. Also some buildings may be bad, not due to the builder but by the people living in the building. It all depends on the type of people there.

Last edited:
There's issues with all types of development and not just City place. For example I was visiting 18 yonge and management doesn't seem to care there are flies all over their entrance hallway. I wondered if I breathed in any while I was standing there. Also, I heard the city was chasing after the owner for property tax. Seems the builder didn't pay property tax on behalf of the owner but collected the money. I didn't go up to the suites and amenities so I don't know the state of the building other than the front entrance.

If you want cheapening, infinity elevators were small and slow. I felt a bit claustrophobic. There wasn't a lot of natural lighting in their amenities area either.

I saw a unit at 66 portland street. Entrance was okay. The unit seemed unfinished because the ceiling vents and stuff weren't covered. The closet door creaked too. I don't know about the standard of the build (if parts break easily or not). The washroom cabinet (under the sink) seemed small.

I was also at the MET building. I didn't get any warm feelings about the area either. The entrance hallway felt small since I'm used to very tall ceilings at entrances. The suite was well designed for 2 bdrm, but I found the kitchen cabinets were cheapened and I notice hardwood floors might not be so good. They were a lot of noticeable scratches in the living room. Natural lighting wise, it was decent but not great. Maybe it's the direction the room is facing. I can't comment on amenities. I didn't see them.

I can understand why so many buildings are floor to ceiling glass. People might diss there are too many buildings with it, but people who live there will think differently. You get more natural light with floor to ceiling glass. You can save energy and also natural lighting feels ALOT different than turning on the light.

Also, the renters who complain it's cheaply made, chances are they might not care to take care of the place and break stuff. If you are careful and take care of the unit, it should be alright. I agree some units might not turn out so great, but I wouldn't say all units are bad. Also some buildings may be bad, not due to the builder but by the people living in the building. It all depends on the type of people there.
It's funny that you mentioned the Met.

Someone seriously screwed up with measuring the laundry units. Every single laundry unit is too small for the washer dryers that came standard. Instead of pushing the door handle downards to open the door to the laundry unit, you have to push it up! I've seen a good 4-5 suites there and they all had the same issue. I couldn't believe it. LOL

Back