News   Jul 11, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 539     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 693     0 

City Workers Strike 2009

Laying off is a hard proccess though, because its spending money on a consumer level that is what will bring us out of this slump. If people are afraid to spend money then there's no money available. This is an endless cycle that causes huge problems.

Laying off is a hard proccess though, because its spending money on a consumer level that is what will bring us out of this slump. If people are afraid to spend money then there's no money available. This is an endless cycle that causes huge problems.

i agree. it's not a good approach. i'm willing to bet that the recession is mostly caused by panic and fear. if people just continued business as usual we'd weather this thing alot better. if large amounts of people hold on to their cash and don't let it exchange hands, they might as well store it in a dry place so they can burn it for heat some day.

i agree. it's not a good approach. i'm willing to bet that the recession is mostly caused by panic and fear. if people just continued business as usual we'd weather this thing alot better. if large amounts of people hold on to their cash and don't let it exchange hands, they might as well store it in a dry place so they can burn it for heat some day.

For sure. Well here's another example of it. Look at gass prices. last year around this time they said they were going up. And they did. HUGELY. There were a couple indepindant studies that were done couple months ago, and you know what they found? that the only reason Gas prices went up is because someone on wall street predicted they would. Thats it. Same type of concept were dealing with.

I agree. I obviously don't have all the information, but I don't think mass layoffs are the solution. I'm just pointing out the frustration that higher levels of government have with Toronto constantly complaining about being short of funds when the feds and province cut dramatically and Toronto did very little.

I agree. I obviously don't have all the information, but I don't think mass layoffs are the solution. I'm just pointing out the frustration that higher levels of government have with Toronto constantly complaining about being short of funds when the feds and province cut dramatically and Toronto did very little.
Oh, I understand where you are coming from. But in regards to layoff's TO did the right thing. I'm not saying Layoff's arnt good, because everyone knows there are positions in the Gov that are pointless. Created for a family member of friend. It could stand to be trimmed But not to the extent that the fed and prov gov's have done. What really should be looked at is wages and bonuses... All options that need to be explored.

For sure. Well here's another example of it. Look at gass prices. last year around this time they said they were going up. And they did. HUGELY. There were a couple indepindant studies that were done couple months ago, and you know what they found? that the only reason Gas prices went up is because someone on wall street predicted they would. Thats it. Same type of concept were dealing with.

the price of oil was mostly inflated by speculation.

the economy is a faith based / belief driven sector. all it takes for things to be fine is for enough people to come to the realization that the monster is really just a hallucination. it will go away if you realize it's not real. all this mess is not the result of bad mortgages. it's the result of fear.

the price of oil was mostly inflated by speculation.

the economy is a faith based / belief driven sector. all it takes for things to be fine is for enough people to come to the realization that the monster is really just a hallucination. it will go away if you realize it's not real. all this mess is not the result of bad mortgages. it's the result of fear.

I agree, Now lets try to explain that to the rest of Canada and the States.. Any ideas? We could always hijack the airwaves and send out are own brodcasts. Then put it out through mass print. Maybe get some news breaking announcements on tv. And then, Just so we don't miss anyone, one of us should post a couple facebook msg's and the other can tweet about it... that should cover everyone...

I agree, Now lets try to explain that to the rest of Canada and the States.. Any ideas? We could always hijack the airwaves and send out are own brodcasts. Then put it out through mass print. Maybe get some news breaking announcements on tv. And then, Just so we don't miss anyone, one of us should post a couple facebook msg's and the other can tweet about it... that should cover everyone...

i think people are more likely to believe bad news than good news. alarmists will claim that it's a massive conspiracy to cover up looming economigeddon and then people will be rolling up their cash, putting it all inside a condom and then inserting the condom up their rectums for safe keeping. the next morning, people will flush their life savings down the toilet without realizing it.

i think people are more likely to believe bad news than good news. alarmists will claim that it's a massive conspiracy to cover up looming economigeddon and then people will be rolling up their cash, putting it all inside a condom and then inserting the condom up their rectums for safe keeping. the next morning, people will flush their life savings down the toilet without realizing it.

That is a very clever analogy, I like it. But its so true. Have you spent any differently since the whole resssession started?

Maybe not layoffs but how about hiring freezes, efforts to higher more non-unionized labour and contracting out of more non-essential functions (where it makes financial sense).

Maybe not layoffs but how about hiring freezes, efforts to higher more non-unionized labour and contracting out of more non-essential functions (where it makes financial sense).

I could see that working. Though one stipulation. If you don't live in the city you shouldn't be allowed to work for the local government.

That is a very clever analogy, I like it. But its so true. Have you spent any differently since the whole resssession started?

i'm not really sure.

Just to make everyone feel a little better:

Struggling cities cancel Fourth of July fireworks

Nearly 50 cash-strapped cities nationwide are forgoing fireworks festivities, choosing instead to retain jobs or, in the case of Montebello, Calif., give the money to food banks.

From this link in the LA Times.

Just to make everyone feel a little better:

From this link in the LA Times.

Thats really good actually. Windsors/Detroits were really cut back this year..
But i guess that makes sense. The fredom festival that they hold every year, if im not mistaken it was cancled for this year

Back