News   Apr 24, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 466     0 

City Workers Strike 2009

I CANNOT STAND UNIONS, DAVID MILLER, DALTON MCGUINTY ANYMORE!!!!!!

At this point, I'm ready to scream all kinds of profanity to those above. David Miller and Dalton Mcguinty MUST GO. The way they handled tamil protesters, e-Health, and this strike is sickening!!!!

At this point, I'm ready to scream all kinds of profanity to those above. David Miller and Dalton Mcguinty MUST GO. The way they handled tamil protesters, e-Health, and this strike is sickening!!!!

So true!!!!......those two are absolutely toothless....

I wish we had politicians with some balls......

I'm more than a little disillusioned with Miller at this point, but would you really like to see McGuinty act and legislate these workers back to the jobsite?

Because that's exactly what the union has wanted since day 1. Back-to-work legislation means they get to go to binding arbitration which tends to ALWAYS work out very very well for unions.

No one focuses on this part of the system, but it seems very broken to me. Instead of actual bargaining table negotiation, the spectre of back-to-work legislation means that public sector unions essentially just kill time until the government finally gets fed up. Then they get an awesome deal through arbitration. There seems to be a lot of room for positive reform with this part of the system.

Can anyone tell me if there is any sort of provision for how long a strike like this could continue before the City could begin looking at outsourcing the work? Can this technically go on indefinitely?

I'm furious about the residents of one of the new temporary dumps trying to stop people from dumping in "their" park. Give me a break....for the last two weeks, whose park did they dump THEIR garbage in? Talk about selfish.

I would not be surprised if one of the union members just happened to live in that area and took the opportunity to rally some residents to make it seem like they have public support. Either that or they ARE incredibly selfish.

I'm more than a little disillusioned with Miller at this point, but would you really like to see McGuinty act and legislate these workers back to the jobsite?

Because that's exactly what the union has wanted since day 1. Back-to-work legislation means they get to go to binding arbitration which tends to ALWAYS work out very very well for unions.

No one focuses on this part of the system, but it seems very broken to me. Instead of actual bargaining table negotiation, the spectre of back-to-work legislation means that public sector unions essentially just kill time until the government finally gets fed up. Then they get an awesome deal through arbitration. There seems to be a lot of room for positive reform with this part of the system.

I would expect them to distribute the pink slips.

Just imagine, 4 weeks would have been enough to train new workers

I would expect them to distribute the pink slips.

Just imagine, 4 weeks would have been enough to train new workers

we've lived with 4 weeks of inconvenience already, i don't think the public would have a huge complaint of another 4 weeks if that was in the works.

the city should give an altimatum ... the workers/union have been without a contract since winter 2008, last weeks offer is firm and final ... you have until monday july 20 to accept; otherwise the city is opening up to public tenders and having a job fair for the same wages LESS bankable sick days.

we've lived with 4 weeks of inconvenience already, i don't think the public would have a huge complaint of another 4 weeks if that was in the works.

the city should give an altimatum ... the workers/union have been without a contract since winter 2008, last weeks offer is firm and final ... you have until monday july 20 to accept; otherwise the city is opening up to public tenders and having a job fair for the same wages LESS bankable sick days.

true.

in this economy, we would fill the job vacancies in 2 days

If the city manages to stop picketers from holding up people dropping off the garbage, I think we could go all summer easily. Well, thats assuming the city actually clears out those dumps every now and then. Honestly if we just got rid of garbage pickup all together and really were FORCED to find a way around it premenantly, we would come up with something most people could live with, if out of nothing more than spite.

Last edited:
I'm furious about the residents of one of the new temporary dumps trying to stop people from dumping in "their" park. Give me a break....for the last two weeks, whose park did they dump THEIR garbage in? Talk about selfish.
Are the dumps in the park actually in the park or just the parking lots?

Cuz I think the dumps make sense for the parking lots, but it creates some new problems if it's in the actual grassy park.

(My local dump site is a parking lot next to a school ground/park.)

Last edited:
Are the dumps in the park actually in the park or just the parking lots?

Cuz I think the dumps make sense for the parking lots, but it creates some new problems if it's in the actual grassy park.

(My local dump site is a parking lot next to a school ground/park.)

I don't know about that one, but I'd be surprised if it was actually on the grass. My local one is also on pavement. Has the city noted when and how they plan on clearing those dumps? Did they do anything like that during the last strike or did they just wait until it was over?

I'd like to see the city start clearing out some of the dump sites. That would send a message that they are prepared to keep this going on longer.

I would not be surprised if one of the union members just happened to live in that area and took the opportunity to rally some residents to make it seem like they have public support. Either that or they ARE incredibly selfish.

are you near warden/st. clair?

there was a news report last night about a new temp garbage dump opening up in a parking lot, which happens to be behind the backyard of a CUPE member ... LOL , justice is sweet, or in this case stinky !

I think the tamil protesters were handled very very well, actually. As for Miller, he is a disappointment, but McGuinty's a seriously good politician and has done extremely well for the province in very difficult times. He'll win another mandate for sure and I'm glad about that.

are you near warden/st. clair?

there was a news report last night about a new temp garbage dump opening up in a parking lot, which happens to be behind the backyard of a CUPE member ... LOL , justice is sweet, or in this case stinky !

Its not in my neighborhood, I just heard it on the news. I believe it Cambell Park site which has protests from residents. They had audio clips of the confrontations and it did get quite heated. Residents were not allowing people to pass them and it sounded like a very agressive confrontation between the protesting residents vs other residents and police. Eventually the police broke up their "picket".

Also worth noting is how the police will stop the residents but not the real picket that holds people up.

Last edited:
I think the tamil protesters were handled very very well, actually. As for Miller, he is a disappointment, but McGuinty's a seriously good politician and has done extremely well for the province in very difficult times. He'll win another mandate for sure and I'm glad about that.

no it was not. The issue evaporated because the Sri Lanka government finished off the Tamil. Had the war continue, the protesters would continue holding the city hostage. And our coward leaders will not do a damn thing about it

McGuinty is a *#@%ing JOKE!!! don't get me start on this. No he will not get re-elected, you can count on that one

Back