202     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 668     0 

City TV Cuts New Personalities

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It was badly done; the people laid off were "disappeared" from the staff roster on the City website as if they'd never existed. I watch CityTV news because its location at Dundas Square looks fantastic in HD. On tonight's newscast, Gord Martineau was out in an alley way doing their usual "prop journalism". (I think the alley was standing in for Haiti). It was sad, and he looked a little frightened; will he be next?

CityTV is now dead to me.
Can't believe they sacked Anne Mroczkowski. She's almost a CITY news original, and a true professional.

If the vampires at Rogers really wanted to save money, they would sell that money pit of a baseball team. What a useless purchase that was.

What's the logic in buying a cherished locally run TV outfit and gutting it?
I understand the CRTC couldn't let things be, but the current landscape now is so messed up it's hard to imagine how much more sense things made 10 years ago.

I am sure all of them will find new jobs. Anne will DEFIANTLY getting a new job. It is sad though, since CityTV started the whole "news standing up" thing and how that has been brought to CNN and stuff. CityTV had that downtown feel to it that I loved. The only way I will be happy if Rogers opens that CityPulse (CityNews) 24/7 Channel. Then, I would understand. By the way, how is the exterior of the building going?

She was a great anchor who always seemed to have been there on CityTV news at 6 which brought me some comfort when I would tune in to get my Toronto news fix. I met Anne Mroczkowski on several occasions over the years. She was really friendly to talk to, never appeared to mind a quick chat and took a compliment with grace and ease. She seemed like the real deal and she looked as great in person as on air, as shallow a remark as that is. I'd love to see her resurface on CBC or somewhere with cred, she deserves better.

CityTV now fulfills its CanCon requirements by airing the same episode of CityLine 3x/day.

Really, what is left of CityTV is akin to what is left of CFNY at "The Edge." I'm not just refering to the people either, but also the spirit.

The station has been dying for at least 15 years. When was the last time the station gave us new innovating programing (like New Music or Media Television)? No offence to anyone who works there, but the station also seems to cater to morons now (how else to explain Breakfast Television?).

To be fair, City did air the BSG miniseries when it first came out. I mean, it wasn't THEIRS, but it was well-received critically.

The station has been dying for at least 15 years. When was the last time the station gave us new innovating programing (like New Music or Media Television)? No offence to anyone who works there, but the station also seems to cater to morons now (how else to explain Breakfast Television?).

That's the market these days - morons. New and innovative programming is rarely profitable.

I thought Rogers was really going to invest in CityTV - not gut it. I guess they want to make sure the programming matches their new headquarters.

Agreed! I can't believe what Breakfast Television has turned in to along with the rest of the channel! Going up my mind was expanded by watching Media Television, The New Music even the off beat shows on Much. Such a shame!

Back