News   Mar 28, 2024
 160     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

City Panhandling Strategy

does anyone have any information about the supposed city by-law that doesn't allow homeless people to use sleeping bags or covering of any sort? want to know if this is really law or if it's just a few asshole cops fucking with the poor...apparently it was just passed

I imagine if there is such a law, it's not about homeless people, but any people who sleep covered in public areas. You could argue that it's targeted at the homeless, but I doubt it's worded that way.

What a silly law, if it exists. How would the authorities enforce it - rip sleeping bags and blankets off of sleeping people and then tell them to get some shut-eye?

does anyone have any information about the supposed city by-law that doesn't allow homeless people to use sleeping bags or covering of any sort? want to know if this is really law or if it's just a few asshole cops fucking with the poor...apparently it was just passed

Where did you hear about this? One can't ban the public use of a sleeping bag.

I do not understand if people need to sleep on the streets why they do it in the financial district.

I only give money to panhandlers who are performers. ie: Shaky Lady, Guy Wearing a Paper Bag Over His Head and holding a fishing rod with a ' bucks ' coffee cup -- to collect the cash -- hanging on the end.

If you perform you get my cash. If you just stand there like a moron begging, you get nothing from me.

If you're going to make a career of panhandling, for Christ's sake, do something interesting for the money.

This city has been astonishingly successful at reducing its panhandling problem over the last few years.

I see as many panhandlers as ever, if not more. We've had some of the same panhandlers in The Annex as we did when I moved here three years ago. I can't even go to the grocery store without someone begging me for change. And it seems to be the same in the rest of downtown.

I don't know where you're looking, but I've not seen any reduction in panhandling.

its the same people who argue crime is down..

So just because the number of wife killers are down does not mean we are safer...

I do not understand if people need to sleep on the streets why they do it in the financial district.

One reason is money. There is an expectation that the people who show up in the morning are loaded with cash (it being the financial district). It's just like the regulars who park outside of night clubs. They are counting on people being loose with cash while having a good time. Typically, these panhandlers don't even ask for cash, they just hold out a cap or cup.

More recently, I had a guy ask me to make a debit withdrawal for him. He didn't phrase his request as "can you," but "you can make a debit withdrawal for me. The sense of entitlement was really annoying.

those homeless in the financial district are put there by the government to encourage those bay street rollers to be productive and not fuck up. it's a sort of "this will be you if you don't close the deal" reminder.

could be the only reason why our economy didn't go to hell like down south.

;)

Is anyone else noticing panhandlers now begging at the exits to the DVP and Lawrence, Eglinton, and on the 401 exits in Scarborough?

On some evenings, you have to step over them in the gay ghetto. They are fixtures at the Jarvis exit to the Gardiner, day and night. Ditto for the Castlefrank Station exit ramp of the DVP.

Hell, I see one guy at the Tim Hortons on Bloor at Royal York all the time - in tony Kingsway! Any official who claims panhandling is down is either blind or covering his/her ass.

Mayor Miller and His supporters have actually created the perfect environment for panhandling to thrive.

Today, 8am was driving Lakeshore and Dunn westbound, waiting for light. Car pulls up, two people get out and start walking up the line of cars with their Timmie's cups.

This issue has been getting worse, or certainly hasn't improved since this thread's days nine years ago.

Back