News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 690     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 312     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

As for Priape closing, you can buy spicy underwear and dildos online.

I'm willing to bet that just about everything in the Eaton Centre could also be bought online. In fact it's forecasted that this coming Christmas shopping season more will be bought online than at brick & mortar stores. I find that troubling.

The retailers and restaurants were on board when the Parklet project was in it's initial planning stages and at launch. I walk the Carlton to Wellesley strip once, sometimes twice a day plus I enjoyed the Parklets later at night with friends probably two or three dozen times. The only problem I saw were late at night with the occasional street youth sleeping or panhandling on them. And what's wrong with someone sitting in front of Starbucks with their dog? Aside from food stores & restaurants (obviously) every merchant in this neighbourhood welcomes dogs into their stores, and many offer treats.

You mean like Smith, which had an extended patio and made a killing? Or Starbucks? Or Woody's and the Black Eagle which had an expanded street presence and offered their patrons a place to congregate?

Some of the serious hate for an affordable, trial project to expand the public realm in the Village is ridiculous. It sparked a reaction, it was well used and I am sure there will be a redesign and fine tuning for next year's roll out.

I've stopped reading this thread on a regular basis because so many users here prefer to complain about everything, rather than have a dialogue about how to improve the neighbourhood. Parklets suck; murals are ugly; the Village is basic; who cares about x closing because you can buy y online anyway; opinions are one thing, complaining is another.

Agreed 100%.

I loved the parklets. I enjoyed several dinners on them over the summer. I loved Priape -- they had tonnes of items tailored for gay men. The excessive complaining/hating on this thread is turning me off.

There's a new eatery near the village.

Osteria dei Ganzi opened in maybe July? In any event they've been doing brisk patio business until recently, mainly for dinner but good on Sunday's too. It's hard to tell how busy they are inside when viewing from the outside, but parking on Cawthra Street has never been as busy (I live next door) which indicates it's busy in there if their parking lot is full. Toronto Parking Authority is making a killing ticketing along there.

Oh what a joke lol. I love how culture and religion is this excuse to get away with things. This is Canada. We don't have indoor smoking. Follow the rules.

Oh what a joke lol. I love how culture and religion is this excuse to get away with things. This is Canada. We don't have indoor smoking. Follow the rules.

Just out of curiosity, if hookah bars are essentially 'smoke bars', meaning they are intentionally targeting people who are into (and OK with) smoke, aren't they different in their nature than a standard bar/club/restaurant, which are places where smokers and non-smokers alike would go? A non-smoker going to a hookah bar and then complaining about smoke is akin to a sexually conservative person going to a sex store then complaining about it. People complaining about smoke in a normal restaurant or club is more like a person going to a grocery store and seeing XXX magazines on the shelf and then complaining about it. The former doesn't make sense but the latter does (for most, not all).

Just out of curiosity, if hookah bars are essentially 'smoke bars', meaning they are intentionally targeting people who are into (and OK with) smoke, aren't they different in their nature than a standard bar/club/restaurant, which are places where smokers and non-smokers alike would go? A non-smoker going to a hookah bar and then complaining about smoke is akin to a sexually conservative person going to a sex store then complaining about it. People complaining about smoke in a normal restaurant or club is more like a person going to a grocery store and seeing XXX magazines on the shelf and then complaining about it. The former doesn't make sense but the latter does (for most, not all).

The problem with this argument is that you would never be allowed to open a "smokers only" bar aimed at patrons who enjoy a cigarette with their Beer (even though I am convinced such a bar would be packed) The province and city would not allow it for health reasons. The city makes exceptions for Hookah lounges because they are popular with the growing population in the city for whom smoking Hookah is a popular substitute for consuming alcohol which is forbidden by their religion. We are developing two sets of laws in this country. It seems to me that such a social club catering to a population for which consumption of alcohol is considered a grave sin would not be compatible with the gay bars that *currently* line Church street.

Last edited:
The problem with this argument is that you would never be allowed to open a "smokers only" bar aimed at patrons who enjoy a cigarette with their Beer (even though I am convinced such a bar would be packed) The province and city would not allow it for health reasons. The city makes exceptions for Hookah lounges because they are popular with the growing population in the city for whom smoking Hookah is a popular substitute for consuming alcohol which is forbidden by their religion. We are developing two sets of laws in this country. It seems to me that such a social club catering to a population for which consumption of alcohol is considered a grave sin would not be compatible with the gay bars that *currently* line Church street.
Agreed, a smokers only bar wouldn't be appropriate and the province and city would NEVER allow it.

Why is smoking indoors not allowed, but that is? Always been curious about that.

Smoking indoors could cause a fire or get the building "smoked" up. Also it is not allowed for safety reasons. Maybe you should ask the building you want to smoke indoors why it isn't accepted in that building.

Back