News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 558     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Has anyone else been following this thread? I just came across is today. Looks like a historic building near the corner of Church and Wellesley is set to be demolished. The property was sold for $4.5 million, which screams future condo. This is really worrisome...

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...sley-Street-East?p=588795&posted=1#post588795

501 Church/77 Wellesley (the 1927 apartment building with The Wine Rack/Hero Burger/7&24 Video/Priape etc.) is rumoured to be part of this development and also under threat.

One question: Why the hell is Church St NOT a heritage district? Is it not worth preserving? I think it's definitely one of those streets that needs some sort of protection.

bigtony:

The problem is that except for selected examples, most of the buildings there aren't exactly heritage material. The vibe of the neighbourhood isn't something that be preserved easily either.

AoD

Last edited:
The vibe of the neighbourhood is also something that be preserved easily either.

Or at least, not "preserved" through a tool like heritage listing and designation, as opposed to more comprehensive BIA-ish eyes-on-the-streetish Jane Jacobsish stuff...

One question: Why the hell is Church St NOT a heritage district? Is it not worth preserving? I think it's definitely one of those streets that needs some sort of protection.

It's happening, it's a top priority project for the CWNA this year.

Carman's

I notice the long-vacant Carman's restaurant property on Alexander has been sold. Has anybody heard anything about who bought it, or what they intend to do with it?

398456_10150510361194213_505539212_8978506_915967390_n.jpg

Noooo! It's happened. Taken this morning 19 JAN 2012. I've always loved this building and the coach house behind. Next up will be a condo, for sure, that will totally change the neighbourhood (more noise complaints – count on it). It's the beginning of an end to an era.

405423_10150510361504213_505539212_8978509_621045240_n.jpg

BlogTO: A lesson in heritage neglect at Church & Wellesley

It wasn't a heritage site, but the request for designation had been signed and submitted. "An enormous gap in communication," says Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, is what allowed the demolition of 81 Wellesley Street East to move forward...
The building — buildings, actually — housed the Wellspring Cancer Support Centre for nearly 20 years. The three-storey Odette House and two-storey coach house in back were sold this past September after Wellspring announced it couldn't bear the cost of the renovations needed to maintain the site. Originally listed for $3.25 million, the 19th century properties (or perhaps more importantly, the land) ending up selling for a reported $4.5 million.
While residents fear the erection of a mega condo in 81 Wellesley's stead, as of yet, no planning applications have been submitted to the City of Toronto.

Back