News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

By dismissing every Pride event (forget about the parade, he's not wanted now) he has effectively put a rubber stamp on excluding the community from this city and given power to those who hold similar opinions as his, read the comments in either of the national papers or the Toronto Star. He's also spit in the face of every out-of-towner, 905'er and tourist who comes into the city for the events and drops tens of millions of dollars during the festivities. He has plenty of time for the Bollywood events though (a wonderful "get" for Toronto), but no time for the Pride flag raising.

By dismissing every Pride event (forget about the parade, he's not wanted now) he has effectively put a rubber stamp on excluding the community from this city and given power to those who hold similar opinions as his, read the comments in either of the national papers or the Toronto Star. He's also spit in the face of every out-of-towner, 905'er and tourist who comes into the city for the events and drops tens of millions of dollars during the festivities. He has plenty of time for the Bollywood events though (a wonderful "get" for Toronto), but no time for the Pride flag raising.

i just saw that on the news ...
i guess IIFA was lucky he wasn't up at the cottage with his family.

Funny, I just read that Ford had enough time to welcome the Bollywood stars to Toronto and give them some kind of proclamation. So, Ford has time to meet privately with a visiting Bollywood star but he can't take 5 minutes to go to the Pride flag raising? I wonder who's votes he's going after? Oh, and he also had time to go to the opening of a store in Etobicoke but he has no time for 1 million at the Pride Parade. (or any Pride event, for that matter) Could the man be speaking any louder with his actions. I'm glad he's not going to the parade because at this point, he would just look like a big hypocrite and the empty gesture would be a joke.

Funny, I just read that Ford had enough time to welcome the Bollywood stars to Toronto and give them some kind of proclamation. So, Ford has time to meet privately with a visiting Bollywood star but he can't take 5 minutes to go to the Pride flag raising? I wonder who's votes he's going after?

Well, take note of the voting stats. The South Asian zones went *very* Ford. Contrary to popular misconception, "racist homophobic white trash" Rob Ford did best among the "ethnoburbans" and their like. (Thistletown must have gone 3/4 Ford, right?)

Here's a blast from the past, Second Cup is coming back to Church & Wellesley.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4Y 1G7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 227033 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2011

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing ground floor retail unit for new takeout restaurant - "Second Cup". Convenience address is is 544 Church St.

Here's a blast from the past, Second Cup is coming back to Church & Wellesley.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4Y 1G7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 227033 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2011

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing ground floor retail unit for new takeout restaurant - "Second Cup". Convenience address is is 544 Church St.

where will it go ???

back to an earlier topic, someone stated it wasn't the mayor's duty to attend Pride.

from my understanding of the mayor's role, it appears it does:
http://www.toronto.ca/civic-engagement/learning-material/governance.htm

The role of the Mayor as chief executive officer is to:

* uphold and promote the purposes of the City
* promote public involvement in the City's activities
* act as the representative of the City both within and outside the City, and promote the City locally, nationally and internationally; and
* participate in and foster activities that enhance the economic, social and environmental well being of the City and its residents

I doubt Ford will be anything more than a one-term mayor. I'm sure he'll slip up well in advance of the next election.

If the parade organisers are reasonably sure that Ford will not attend the parade this may be an opportunity to create a spoof such as a look-a-like contest or....

where will it go ???

"convenience address 544 Church Street" is the empty half of what used to be Zelda's.
EDIT: This is actually across the street, where Booster Juice is now. I'm glad about that as I'm holding out hope someone with a liquor licence that they plan to actually use will move in to the remaining half of what used to be Zelda's.

Last edited:
I walked around there last night, Pharma Plus, TD Bank, Subway and Ginger aren't going anywhere so it has to be the north side of former Zelda's. It's a small space in there, smaller once they put in the required washrooms but they have a good sized patio which is gold on Church Street. Also, the "For Lease" sign has been removed.

^ That's what I was thinking too dt. This is a good spot for them and the street, esp. with that nice big patio.

2ndcup.jpg

I walked around there last night, Pharma Plus, TD Bank, Subway and Ginger aren't going anywhere so it has to be the north side of former Zelda's. It's a small space in there, smaller once they put in the required washrooms but they have a good sized patio which is gold on Church Street. Also, the "For Lease" sign has been removed.

^ That's what I was thinking too dt. This is a good spot for them and the street, esp. with that nice big patio.

2ndcup.jpg

but but it won't be the 'steps' ! ? !
now the kids in the hall will have to make new skits called 'the patio' ?

Back