News   Apr 24, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 390     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 744     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Maybe we should ban political groups that have nothing to do with LGBT issues from participating in pride....I'm looking at you, Queers Against Israeli "Apartheid".

Either that or have a "Queers Against Muslim Oppression of Gays" group march along with them.

Coruscanti Cognoscente:

Maybe we should ban political groups that have nothing to do with LGBT issues from participating in pride....I'm looking at you, Queers Against Israeli "Apartheid".

Why just political? I mean, at least QuAIA is run by a bunch of LGBT folks - what does the litany of commercial interests that particpate in Pride has anything to do with LGBT issues, ultimately?

Either that or have a "Queers Against Muslim Oppression of Gays" group march along with them.

I would think that's a pretty valid group to have.

AoD

I'm more "all things must pass" about it all--in a way, the elevation of queerness into the multi-accepting more-mainstream-than-mainstream can be viewed more as affirmation than as degradation. Even when one is confronted w/the paradox of dewds who once would have hooted at you from their Trans-Ams now themselves joining in the festivities, dressing in drunken drag and sporting girlfriends who might as well be (shh-don't tell them) tranny-looking, under the circumstances...

Per The Star, QAIA has pulled out of the parade.

This is terrible to say but it is the straight folks who make it feel less special.

I have an idea of where you're coming from, but that is terrible to say. There are many straight folk who make it more special in that they too are able to express their acceptance and openness of their gay friends.

It is like any other event in the city. It could bloody well be Taste of the Danforth. What felt so amazing in 1989, for me, was that I for the first time could just relax and be myself because I was surrounded by thousands of gay people. Thats what I needed from Pride and that's what I feel we have lost.

I won't argue that it's become a lot more commercial and that there isn't room for improvement. But I think the idea is to be able to relax and be yourself because you're surrounded by thousands of people who are gay positive, whether those thousands are gay or straight.

And US's point about the loss of politics is a good one but I just don't know how these particular politics relate to Pride per se. It just feels opportunistic and divisive where Pride years ago felt like a comming together of a community with a common goal.

I think it's just an endless evolution - from the early days in Grange Park when a small group of political queens owned the agenda, through an era when straight male models hired by banks and trust companies gyrated on corporate floats for a family audience, to an era when it's okay for gay's to take things to the next stage and express themselves on a wide range of political issues any way they want. ( And that's not all that new either - I recall marching in the gay contingent at one of the International Women's Day marches, mid-80s, and our shouted-out slogan as we walked up Spadina Avenue wasn't specifically feminist at all: "What do we want? Gay liberation! When do we want it? Now!" )

A good friend of mine works for a company that owns 6 Wendy's and 7 Tim Horton's. He tells me that the other half of Zelda's has been leased to Tim Horton's. Sorry that's all I have.

A good friend of mine works for a company that owns 6 Wendy's and 7 Tim Horton's. He tells me that the other half of Zelda's has been leased to Tim Horton's. Sorry that's all I have.

When I was telling a friend about Acme Burgers coming into that space he said we need a Timmy's in the neighbourhood, sounds like he got his wish! I saw on Friday or Saturday that they appeared to be working on both sides, the north half is coming along well but there's still a "For Lease" sign up which is strange.

Tim Hortons? Really? Maybe in the day of Maple Leaf Gardens Hockey Night in Canada – but now? What a waste of a patio. I don't see Starbucks or Timothy's have anything to worry about. Even though there are many Tim Hortons downtown, I will always associate them with 905ers and suburbia.

When I was telling a friend about Acme Burgers coming into that space he said we need a Timmy's in the neighbourhood, sounds like he got his wish! I saw on Friday or Saturday that they appeared to be working on both sides, the north half is coming along well but there's still a "For Lease" sign up which is strange.

what is their border definition of neighbourhood? 50 sqft of church/wellesley?

is Yonge/Carlton or Jarvis/Carlton or Bloor/Church that far to walk for a Tim's?

When pressed for time, going up to Church/Bloor can be too far for a Tim Horton's steeped tea fix. The quality debate can go on forever but I don't think Starbucks has to worry. It's Country Style across the street that should worry the most. The new owner of Timothy's ,down the street, takes over the cafe on April 27th. He and his partner have a challenge ahead of them with the power the Tim Horton's machine so close by.

Tim Hortons? Really? Maybe in the day of Maple Leaf Gardens Hockey Night in Canada – but now? What a waste of a patio. I don't see Starbucks or Timothy's have anything to worry about. Even though there are many Tim Hortons downtown, I will always associate them with 905ers and suburbia.

Maybe b/c it began in your best suburb of all, Hamilton. On the super-poplar Ottawa Street!
http://www.shopottawastreet.com/

Last edited:

Back