News   Mar 28, 2024
 299     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 335     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 692     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Signs are up on the wooden hoarding at 501 Church now. It'll be "The Friendly Stranger" cannabis & things, the signs give a number for community members to call if they support, or don't support the zoning for a cannabis shop. It could likely be open in January, and many edibles/drinkables should be approved by then.

Was at Storm Crow Manor last night for a TV show crew function. That place is full up! Pretty expensive, super gimmicky. I did enjoy the roll a d20 for a random shot idea though (me and some friends once invented a random drinking game in Cuba; it involved a box and 12 cups of water, liquour, or beer and grabbing it blind). Of course I rolled a critical miss on my first go which is a tequila and Tabasco shot (I hate tequila). And I had to pay for it. Asked the server if he was trying to be funny. ;)

Seems like a fun enough place. I like their rent-a-DM concept.

Mix drinks were mad expensive though. 15$ Negroni....what? At least the first one I had was mad decent.

Was at Storm Crow Manor last night for a TV show crew function. That place is full up! Pretty expensive, super gimmicky. I did enjoy the roll a d20 for a random shot idea though (me and some friends once invented a random drinking game in Cuba; it involved a box and 12 cups of water, liquour, or beer and grabbing it blind). Of course I rolled a critical miss on my first go which is a tequila and Tabasco shot (I hate tequila). And I had to pay for it. Asked the server if he was trying to be funny. ;)

Seems like a fun enough place. I like their rent-a-DM concept.

Mix drinks were mad expensive though. 15$ Negroni....what? At least the first one I had was mad decent.

I was there with my boss last year - the food was decent, but the decor is fab!

1575856343530.jpeg

1575856314212.jpeg

1575856373401.jpeg

1575856395909.jpeg

It helps when your boss is a bit of a hypernerd.

AoD

Didn't have any food, so can't comment on that. I ate dinner at home before heading there so I could save money.

Ended up at Wurst Union Station later anyway hahaha <3!

It was a bit annoying with the sound every time someone ordered that Darth Vader head drink which seemed to be every 5 minutes.

I would deffo go again. 7/10 (I'm a bit of a nerd myself)

Last year eh? I didn't realise it's been there that long. When did it open?

Also, those shots make it looke better than at night when it was all rather neon and red lit sameness and hard to appreciate most of the decor.

PS: I loved some of the hidden booths/tables upstairs. Damn, find me spending a weekend in there! ?

The old Cumbrae's space (beside Craig's Cookies) is now leased! Haven't heard what's going in there but boy will it be nice to have another space occupied.

View attachment 214039
I saw a sign on the window as I passed by this evening. It will be home to Fire and Flower... so we have another new cannabis store to welcome to the village...

I saw a sign on the window as I passed by this evening. It will be home to Fire and Flower... so we have another new cannabis store to welcome to the village...

Thanks for the update! Might have been nice to have something else, but at this point I figure it's still better than what it is now.

So we're getting two cannabis stores within a block? The Friendly Stranger at 501 Church and Fire and Flower at 481 Church? I thought licenses were few and far between.

Also the vape shop in the Alexus at 500 Church didn't even last a year.

So we're getting two cannabis stores within a block? The Friendly Stranger at 501 Church and Fire and Flower at 481 Church? I thought licenses were few and far between.

Also the vape shop in the Alexus at 500 Church didn't even last a year.
The Fordites have realised that their bizarre lottery system and strict limits was, well, bizarre and there is now no limit to licences. Whether the Village can support two stores is questionable but I guess we (or those who care) will see.

Not that I was a frequent customer, but is the hot dog vendor in front of Rexall/TD gone permanently? Can't remember the last time I saw it there.

I saw some activity today at the old Statler's space beside Starbucks. I get the impression they're just cleaning it up to make it more presentable to prospective lessees.

You can thank Grindr, Scruff, etc. for it.

AoD
Can you elaborate? It's not as though Tinder, Bumble, etc. have killed spaces for the heterosexual community to spend time other than restaurants. So why do you think online dating (if we're calling it that) has killed spaces for the queer community?

Back