News   Mar 28, 2024
 120     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 182     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Scaffolding has come down around the Hero Burger building. I wonder if they're going to try to be open in time for Pride.

Also, I was at Olympic Pizza tonight and they said they're closing permanently in 3 weeks and won't be seeking a new location. Another one bites the dust.
That’s sad. I’ve been going to Olympic pizza since 1980.

Reactions: ARB
They are doing renovations at the old Cumbrae's and Eye's on Church locations. Anyone know if something is moving in there?

The posted building permit says it's for window replacement. I wondered if they're just tweaking the exterior to remove that little alcove where people were sleeping/panhandling. But I'm just guessing.

Fly is closing on June 30th. Apparently this time "for good", as the building is to be demolished for a condo (obviously).

The Village loses its only proper dance club...

I'm certain I read that Councillor Wong-Tam was to help Fly find a new dance space somewhere in or near the Village, but that was several years ago before this project was delayed.

Here's an interesting infographic published in Atlantic Magazine.
The data is only through 2010, though I assume the overall trend continued. It is also on US data and I could see Canada trailing them by a few years.
The rise of "Met Online" has a lot of implications for changes to The Village over the past 20 years.
The descent of "neighbours" from 10% to 0% is another that can be related to changes in the area.

2e6ac286b.png

Jeez, that's more dramatic than I expected. I figured online would account for maybe 50% of couples, not 70+ percent, especially considering that is only until 2010 which is well before most of the modern dating apps.

The old "Eyes on Church" space (beside old Cumbrae's) has the plywood down and the windows indeed have been replaced. Looks like the little vestibule between the two spaces remains. Cumbrae's side is still boarded up for now.

IMG_2163.JPG

those look good.... but will gays eat cookies? Only time will tell.
Have you been to the Village? It's lined with pubs and fast food. Take your stereotypes to another forum.

Being close to a handful of new high rise condos, blocks from Ryerson, I think this location should do well. I look forward to visiting soon.

Back