News   Jul 15, 2024
 465     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 575     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Hahaha. I remember going there (Sissy's) because they didn't play remixes but the regular version (which I've always preferred). They even played some Brit Pop (if requested) and non-single tracks — which for a gay club was pretty 'alternative'. Lol. But, tastes change and I'm glad that 'the kids' still have a place to go and dance (well, nowadays they pretty much just pose, twerk and text).
I should have qualified that a bit better. Sissy Saturday's are what you are referring to (Daniel Paquette's night I believe). I was more talking about Friday nights at Buddies which was effectively the Village's alternative gay bar. And there's still signs of that on Pride weekend if you look at the way they program their stage and whose in attendance. But only that weekend really.

I've only been to the restaurant at the Fly. I won't miss it. There are more options outside of the Church and Wellesley area for gay men to hang out at than there used to be. However, there does seem to be few dance bar options now compared to when I was younger and going to the clubs.

I've only been to the restaurant at the Fly. I won't miss it. There are more options outside of the Church and Wellesley area for gay men to hang out at than there used to be. However, there does seem to be few dance bar options now compared to when I was younger and going to the clubs.

Why go out to a club, when you can stay home and tweet the gays? This is, after-all, Toronto. The people, are not exactly known for their warmth, approachability or charisma.

I dunno, I'm one of the few that finds that cold reserve kinda charming. Embrace it. It's funny and really a nice connection with our historic character. I don't think Toronto has ever been a city where anything, even human relations, comes easily.

That is so true! Many people are so cold here!

That's the result of the internet. The internet has turned everybody into social retards. People go to clubs and then spend the whole night looking at their phones and not, communicating with actual people. I went to a concert with a friend and he brought another friend along who literally spent the whole hour playing with his phone. I watched him in amazement, as he ignored the whole concert and was in his own little internet world.

He told me later, while going for coffee that he has only 1 friend and he's too shy to talk to anyone face-to-face, as his whole social life takes place only online. He's pushing 30 and has never had a boyfriend or even a date. In fact he has never even had sex. I would understand if this guy was old and ugly but he is an ordinary, in-shape, average guy. His real problem is that the internet has turned him into a social retard, who is too afraid to go to a gay bar, so he trolls gay chat sites and gets nowhere.

God, kids today. No wonder everyone is lonely and depressed or on anxiety medication. We have created a very dysfunctional world where people prefer to interact with computers and cell phones, rather than living, breathing humans. Sure, young gays don't need the Gay Village or gay bars, they just need the lonely world of internet chat. That solves all the messy problems of having to actually start up a conversation offline.

In 3o years from now, we'll all be having sex with robots and we won't even need other (real) men for sex, so what's the big deal, right.

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm one of the few that finds that cold reserve kinda charming. Embrace it. It's funny and really a nice connection with our historic character. I don't think Toronto has ever been a city where anything, even human relations, comes easily.

If you want to get along with the gays ( or anyone for that matter ) in Toronto, don't speak to them.

And if, for whatever reason you're are called upon to speak, say as little as possible and speak only in the most general of terms. Vague is good. Silence is better. Pretend you are mute. And everything will run harmoniously.

You are in Toronto to make money not friends or acquaintances.

Last edited:
Hi, so I'm not sure if some of the comments here are sarcastic or not, but these comments ring true to me (and many others I've talked to who have moved here from other parts of Canada) and without derailing the thread too much (sorry), there is a surprisingly high level of cold, clicky behavior that I see in Toronto. Was Toronto always like this? Is it because of Toronto's lack of identity and generally high levels of indifference that makes people like this? You would think (theoretically) that with our international demographics, Toronto would reflect different ideas of socialization but that's not really happening (as much). The experiences I've had in the US (as a gay male) are so much better (with other gay men) but I don't want to move to the US! :(

People in Toronto have always been a little on the cool side and a bit uptight, a Torontonian only notices when traveling out of the city. I remember my first trip to NYC around '85 and was surprised (shocked?) at how friendly people were there (and better service everywhere too). Hamilton, only 45 minutes away - world of difference with how friendly, loose and fun people can be.
On another matter, sort of Village related, Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly and Councillor Wong-Tam announce a mass gay wedding at Casa Loma on Pride Week - http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/0...to_n_5257269.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

People in Toronto have always been a little on the cool side and a bit uptight, a Torontonian only notices when traveling out of the city. I remember my first trip to NYC around '85 and was surprised (shocked?) at how friendly people were there (and better service everywhere too). Hamilton, only 45 minutes away - world of difference with how friendly, loose and fun people can be.
On another matter, sort of Village related, Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly and Councillor Wong-Tam announce a mass gay wedding at Casa Loma on Pride Week - http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/0...to_n_5257269.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Thank you for your post; so you have found people in Hamilton (particularly gay men) to be friendlier than the big smoke (TO)? Is it the small-town friendliness? Now I'm curious about Hamilton... :)

Thank you for your post; so you have found people in Hamilton (particularly gay men) to be friendlier than the big smoke (TO)? Is it the small-town friendliness? Now I'm curious about Hamilton... :)

I did brief "time" in Hamilton in hopes of a promotion (got it) and the people were wonderful there, in fact, I was actually suspicious of their friendliness at first! (whadda' they want from me?!) Seriously. I made life-long friends there and the gay scene was a little friendlier than here, and back then men and women seemed to happily mix well in clubs like Billies Place (sadly, not-so-much here). I haven't been there in probably 10 years or more and I'm told downtown is pretty grim now, sad because it has terrific bones.

He's over blowing it of course. There's reserve yeah but if you can force yourself out of your shell and actually approach people the walls tend to melt away. It's kinda a double edged sword I suppose, if you sit there and expect people to approach you, you'll be disappointed, if you do the approaching you'll probably be rewarded. It just takes a little character and balls -something easily intimidated people just don't have.

On the other hand I find daily interactions, in queues etc., the sort with no strings so much easier here than many other places I've lived, except maybe New York City where they come even more naturally. And making friends here is really a breeze. I just wouldn't date here and rarely did (married now -to a foreigner - so it doesn't matter). It's really just about your comfort zone and for some reason Toronto is out of most Canadians' comfort zone and they find it intimidating.

I really don't find Europeans especially charming and friendly either (best experiences have always been in Germany surprisingly -and then Spain and of course Ireland). The English, French, Italians aren't exactly welcoming. Americans just take it all to another level unmatched.

Last edited:

Back