News   Jul 29, 2024
 47     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Yeah, I can't say that I'm a fan of the design either. The concept could work but the execution needs a bit more refinement.

Have to agree - the pylon is horrid. Did they forget to mention it isn't the 70s/80s in the design brief? More Alexander Wood, less tacky junk please.

AoD

It's looks a bit better in person. Yeah, it's from the 80's, but so is the rest of the village! It looks like it has been there forever.

Those posts were not cheap, either.

The long-awaited rainbow gateway markers have been installed at either end of the Church Wellesley Village.

One marker is located just north of Wellesley Street, at the entrance to Cawthra Park; the other is in front of the City Park Cooperative apartments on Church Street, between Alexander and Wood streets.

David Wootton, manager of the Church Wellesley Village BIA, says the official launch for the markers will take place April 14. Wootton says the markers will eventually light up, once they are connected to Toronto Hydro.

The 22-foot signposts, part of a cost-sharing project with the City of Toronto, each cost $87,500, he says. “Essentially, the city is purchasing one and we are purchasing one.”

You guys are way too critical of every little thing. Well, except for the things that really effect the city like ubiquitous, grey spandrel, glass boxes, decaying electrical poles, webs of over-head electrical wires, rampant postering/remaining glue & tagging for a start. Those Church Street markers aren't great but they're not so bad either. Are there any cities who have nicer markers on their Gay Villages? Are Chicago's markers in Boystown any better? They look like plastic to me. So all you creative geniuses, what would you suggest? (something grey I suppose?)

Last edited:
According to wikipedia, Chicago's Boystown has 11 pairs of rainbow poles (vs. 2 individual poles in Toronto), that were erected in 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boystown,_Chicago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_View,_Chicago
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0px-Gerald_Farinas_Boystown_Rainbow_Pylon.jpg

North Halsted Street is the main street of this bustling district. It sports Chicago's highest concentration of LGBT-friendly establishments—-an eclectic mix of bars, coffeehouses, and restaurants in accord with the equally eclectic population of local hipsters and open-minded progressives. City planners have designated North Halsted an official pedestrian and bike route following a 1998 community project that resulted in the erection of 11 pairs of rainbow-colored abstract Art Deco pylons along the strip. Coupled with the ever-present rainbow flag that is posted upon nearly every business entrance on the Halsted strip, these pillars also denote the many respectable gay-owned and operated venues that have become hotspots for residents and visitors to Boystown.

Chicago politicians are generally accepting of the community's and the city's gay identity. Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley pushed for the city to host the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago. Openly gay alderman Thomas M. Tunney represents the 44th Ward on the city council; Boystown is a part of this ward.

North Halsted, also called Northalsted by its business association, is a smaller area within the Lakeview East boundaries, bordering the adjacent Wrigleyville enclave. While Boystown has been used as a colloquial name for all of Lakeview East, some reserve the name for the more specific area along North Halsted Street. It holds the distinction of being the nation's first officially recognized gay village. In 1998, then Mayor Richard M. Daley endeavored to create a $3.2 million restoration of the North Halsted Street corridor, and the city erected rainbow pylon landmarks along the route. North Halsted caters to Chicago nightlife, featuring more than 60 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender bars, restaurants and nightclubs. The North Halsted area is now home to Center on Halsted (a GLBT community center).

From the Chicago Tribune (August 18, 1997): N. Halsted To Get $3.2 Million Face Lift

The city's proposal to spend $3.2 million to promote a gay pride theme along a portion of North Halsted Street received mixed reviews Sunday during a festival in that neighborhood, where many gays and lesbians live.

Some business owners and residents in the North Side area praised the streetscape plan, which calls for widening the sidewalks and planting 180 trees along Halsted between Grace Street and Belmont Avenue.

Last edited:
You guys are way to critical of every little thing. Well, except for the things that really effect the city like ubiquitous, grey spandrel, glass boxes, decaying electrical poles, webs of over-head electrical wires, rampant postering/remaining glue & tagging for a start. Those Church Street markers aren't great but they're not so bad either. Are there any cities who have nicer markers on their Gay Villages? Are Chicago's markers in Boystown any better? They look like plastic to me. So all you creative geniuses, what would you suggest? (something grey I suppose?)

How this kind of junk gets approved is beyond me. But the best thing to do at this point is take it down and pass on the idea in its entirety. Unless one wishes to use it as an example of poor taste and naive design.

How this kind of junk gets approved is beyond me. But the best thing to do at this point is take it down and pass on the idea in its entirety. Unless one wishes to use it as an example of poor taste and naive design.
It was erected and paid for by the BIA (the local merchants) so I assume they chose it - as it's a BIA approved expense the City pays 50%. Georgio Mammoliti's giant flagpole in the Emery Village is a similar project. http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/08/16/15042836.html

Last edited:
Torontovibe:

You guys are way to critical of every little thing. Well, except for the things that really effect the city like ubiquitous, grey spandrel, glass boxes, decaying electrical poles, webs of over-head electrical wires, rampant postering/remaining glue & tagging for a start. Those Church Street markers aren't great but they're not so bad either. Are there any cities who have nicer markers on their Gay Villages? Are Chicago's markers in Boystown any better? They look like plastic to me. So all you creative geniuses, what would you suggest? (something grey I suppose?)

No offense, but that's the best my people can come up with? They are like the equivalent of TTC subway info posters.

AoD

Last edited:
Just a thumb.
imagesCAXPR54N.jpg

Attachments

• imagesCAXPR54N.jpg
    imagesCAXPR54N.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 341
Just a really quick re-imagining of the markers.
Church%252520St%252520Street%252520Marker%252520v0.png

Attachments

• Church St Street Marker v0.jpg
    Church St Street Marker v0.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 221
Saw em, I actually think they are quite nice ... but the font used for the text does seem like an unfortunate decision, its actually hard to read at far distances !

Just a really quick re-imagining of the markers.

The Church Wellesley Village area is an improvement, however that design may not last long due to vandalism. Let's see what it looks like at night once they are lit up and re-evaluate.

Give it a few weeks and they will be covered in posters like all the telephone poles and mailboxes along Church St. Or some drunken yahoo will climb it during Pride and wreck it.

Back