News   Jul 25, 2024
 294     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 822     1 

Choosing your paint colour?

luxome

Member Bio
Reaction score
i'm struggling with my colour selections.

How do you guys choose the paint colour for your homes? do you paint the walls yourself or hire somebody to do it for you? Also, do you paint the inside walls of the closet as well?

What is the best way to colour match the paint colours i see in sales centres/model suites?

Hi there,

I sent you a private message to help answer your questions.

Sherwin-Williams Feverish Pink is my favourite colour and looks brilliant on a west-facing wall (as the sun sets it really kicks ass as a feature wall.)

Go for Sherwin-Williams Direct Green in the kitchen, high gloss white in the bathroom, and forest green in the bedroom!

I'd just keep the closet basic white--too messy otherwise.

Last edited:
Sherwin-Williams has the best green ever for a kitchen: DIRECT GREEN 6924

6a00e5505fecd388330105358ed3f2970c-400wi

And for the bathroom, I'd go for Alessi with this colour red tile:

laufen-il-bagno-alessi-bathroom.jpg

Oh wait, this is Toronto the beige 'n grey....

Last edited:
Benjaman Moore : Florentine Plaster
Makes any place look instantly classy.

Setting aside considerations of how colour combinations work chromatically, and how cultural conditioning affects our perceptions, colour preferences are such a personal thing. For instance, when I had the bedroom walls in my place re-plastered and painted I went for an intense deep red in the larger room - similar to the Tempelhof Airport ceiling - and a light golden yellow in the smaller room. Having new floors put in at about the same time I considered white oak, but decided on the slightly warmer red oak; it reacts nicely to the wall colours of both rooms and appears redder in the red room and yellower in the yellow room. The red room soaks up the light like crazy, but it's intended to be an evening room, and I wanted an environment that's a little bit mad - like van Gogh's The Night Cafe, though without the green ceiling; the yellow room's my bedroom and it's nice to wake up surrounded by the colour of sunshine. The bathroom's mostly deep blue tile, done decades ago by some previous owner, and I'm happy enough with it. Downstairs is cream, everywhere; I've got to do something about that cream colour one day.

Really depends on the space for me :)

My previous apartment was brash with colour: peacock blue livingroom, yellow kitchen, acid green bathroom, matte midnightblue bedroom. But it was a small place, with a lot of really old, wide, moldings in white, so it never felt overwhelming.

My place now is all white. Originally I painted it white to get a sense of the space before I put colour up - but years later it's still white, and I really like it :D

From September 1977 to April 1978 I shared a three bedroom apartment in St. James Town, moving into the room vacated by performance artist David Roche. It was a similar green to that shown by urbandreamer, and it did simply horrible things to my complexion. I can't go anywhere near, or wear, that lilac/mauve colour on the Urban Toronto banner at the top of this page either - it'd drain all the colour from me if it were a sweater.

Hi Luxome:
I love colour, but suck at picking it. I worked with a painter/designer. He checked out my likes/my style, then we came up with a pallet together. It's not what I would have picked, but works perfectly with my furnishings and decor. My original choices (more vibrant etc.) would have been way over the top. If you're uncertain, I reccommend going to a professional (I can PM you this painter's detail if you like).

Hi Luxome:
I love colour, but suck at picking it. I worked with a painter/designer. He checked out my likes/my style, then we came up with a pallet together. It's not what I would have picked, but works perfectly with my furnishings and decor. My original choices (more vibrant etc.) would have been way over the top. If you're uncertain, I reccommend going to a professional (I can PM you this painter's detail if you like).

sure, pm me the details. Thanks!

Back