News   Mar 28, 2024
 124     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

China to Build Worlds Tallest building.....in 90 days?

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
So I just found this article on Gizmodo.....Remember that firm that built a prefab 30 storey hotel in 15 days??? This will be much crazier it looks like. Here comes the article dump!

xlarge.jpg

China Will Build the Tallest Building In the World in Just 90 Days
By Jesus Diaz
According to its engineers, this will be the tallest skyscraper in the world by the end of March of 2013. Its name is Sky City, and its 2,749 feet (838 meters) distributed in 220 floors will grow in just 90 days in Changsha city, by the Xiangjiang river. Ninety days!

It's not a joke. According to the construction company, the skyscraper will be built in just 90 days at the unbelievable rate of five floors per day.
It's hard to believe, but they claim the building has been designed by some of the engineers who previously worked at the Burj Khalifa. It is also the same firm that built a full 30-story hotel in 15 days—which yes, is still standing and in perfect working condition.

Foundation work is beginning at the end of the month, once the Chinese authorities give the final go ahead to the project.

Pre-fab magic
They will be able to achieve this impossibly fast construction rate by using a prefabricated modular technology developed by Broad Sustainable Building, a company that has built 20 tall structures in China so far, including the that 30-story hotel.

Since they built that hotel, the company has been perfecting their technology, which they are now claiming will turn their project into the world's tallest skyscraper in just three months. That's a whooping five floors per day, which seems just absurd. According to Construction Week Online, the company is very serious about it. The senior VP of the Broad Group, Juliet Jiang, has publicly said that they "will go on as planned with the completion of five storeys a day."

Record numbers
Unlike the Burj Khalifa, the tower will be mostly habitable. Its final height will be 2,749 feet high (838 meters). Compared that to the Burj's 2,719 feet (829 meters), which include the spire at the top resulting in a total of 163 floors.

Sky City will use an astonishing 220,000 tons of steel. The structure will be able to house 31,400 people of both "high and low income communities". The company says that the residential area will use 83-percent of the building, while the rest will be offices, schools, hospitals, shops and restaurants. People will move up and down using 104 high speed elevators.

The record figures don't stop there: in addition to the 90-day construction time—as opposed to the 210 days initially reported by the Chinese media—the company claims it will cost $1,500 per square meter as opposed to the Burj's $15,000 per square meter, all thanks to the prefab technology.

They also claim it will be able to sustain earthquakes of a 9.0 magnitude and be resistant to fire for "up to three hours," as well as be extremely energy efficient thanks to thermal insulation, four-panned windows and different air conditioning techniques that were already used in their previous constructions.

To be honest, it all seems like a tall tale to me—no pun intended. Although the credentials of the company seem to be quite serious, one thing is to build a 30-story hotel in 15 days and the other is to built the largest skyscraper in the world in 90 days. It just boggles the mind. Maybe it was April's Fool in China yesterday.

Whatever it is, we will discover it in March. If it's confirmed, the time-lapse videos are going to be epic. [Construction Week Online]

I wouldn't live in it.

I wouldn't live in a 10km radius of the thing. Seems a bit crazy, then again I'm sure people were this skeptical at the beginning of the NYC skyscraper boom at the end of the 20's - people said it couldn't be done and that they would never stand the test of time - then again building the world's tallest in 3 months seems almost impossible...doesn't it??

Just stumbled across this aerial render: the proportions seem a bit different than the image posted in post #1

J220_Sky_City_Changsha.jpg

If we used this technology to build mid-rises in Toronto, they would probably be profitable.

Wouldn't even want to approach this thing, though, if it goes through.

If we used this technology to build mid-rises in Toronto, they would probably be profitable.

Wouldn't even want to approach this thing, though, if it goes through.

looking at threads on other websites, I am hearing that it is unlikely this will go through.

World highest building 'll complete in just 90 days? i am shocked. But its great new that world is growing fastest. Before it world highest building was burj khalifa in dubai. I have heard about sky fall that it 'll start in jan 2013 and finish march 2013, and it is same construction company which have found burj khalifa, and i am seen the design of sky fall is like burj khalifa.

Last edited:
Something fishy about this. Kind of like the rail lines but in record time that are now causing trains to derail. No thanks.

Few years ago, I saw a video youtube about how they built a hotel in just couple of days (2 I think). So I would believe that they are able to make this happen.

Back