News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Cell phone towers on condos

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Driving down the DVP I noticed there were a few condo/apartment buildings with cell phone towers on them.
They are not the most attractive things either attached to a side of the building on the roof edge, but I am concerned about how close these things are installed to people's unit's, with some just above their window or balcony.
I came across this article this morning:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/05112010...sks-emissions-suggests-towers-kept-homes.html

A few years ago my last condo was approached by a cell phone carrier asking if they could install a cell phone tower on the top of my building. My HOA board quickly declined as it was unattractive (there's a rooftop deck), will be a disruption to the building when they install it, and they were only offering to pay less than $1,000 a year to use the rooftop.

I highly doubt any newer condos will take up this offer, but I am sure older condos with mounting maintenance (like the ones along the DVP) would be tempted to do so.

Who cares about the potential (yet never proven) impact of cell tower exposure on people's health as long as $ comes in :). Actually I think there was something about towers while back, don't remember the details

Who cares about the potential (yet never proven) impact of cell tower exposure on people's health as long as $ comes in :). Actually I think there was something about towers while back, don't remember the details

spoken like a true capitalist that cares only about the $ ...
just don't come crying when you have a tumour and expect free health care to provide you treatment ... use the $ that came in

Last edited:
LOL and how would you prove its from the cell site and not from the subway or streetcar?

They're very unattractive, but necessary unfortunately. The building across the street from me has been installing more and more cell phone towers of various shapes and sizes since early spring, almost continuously. There were originally 4 towers that I could see, now there are probably 20 or 30 of them within my view. I've seen them on a few condos and luxury apartments too, I guess income is income for the condo corp. or the landlord.

A building I know of was offered $12,000 per year but declined as they do look terrible and people in the building were not reassured about the possible health effects. If you are warned not to hold a cell phone too close to your brain for too loong one does wonder about having a cell phone repeater station outside your office or bedroom wall or ceiling.

This cell phone tower is in Algonquin Park. Made to look like a pine tree.

DSC_2374.JPG

Other cell phone towers are disguised as church steeples or flagpoles.

Unfortunately, others take no attempt at disguise.

celltwo.jpg

They're very unattractive, but necessary unfortunately. The building across the street from me has been installing more and more cell phone towers of various shapes and sizes since early spring, almost continuously. There were originally 4 towers that I could see, now there are probably 20 or 30 of them within my view. I've seen them on a few condos and luxury apartments too, I guess income is income for the condo corp. or the landlord.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Personally I have no problem with them. In fact, I find this far more unattractive:

2885-Bayview-Ave-North-York-Condos.jpg

Back