463     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Carrville District Centre, Vaughan

savevp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,
As I was looking for some information on the new Vaughan Metro. Centre, I stumbled across a link for a bold new development at Dufferin and Rutherford. This interests me because it is literally across the street from where I live.

Its got a main street, looks like a higher-density planned area and some overall nice planning. I think it shows Vaughan's commitment to begin intensifying and growing up as a city.

Not much here yet, but it shows what may end up happening here with a few renders and some maps.

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newscentre/projects/Carrville_District_Centre_Study.cfm

carville-district-mp-bucket.jpg

Is this land owned by York Region? Or is it owned by a private developer? It looks very interesting...I would be amazed if this actually happens!

Traffic is already brutal in this area...Rutherford rd. is bumper to bumper all day long, this will make it worse!

Actually I'm not certain but a developer has a trailer on the NW corner of the intersection so I really don't know. I should go ask some time.

But yes, Rutherford's traffic is awful and could use some better transit service. And Dufferin is especially bad north of Rutherford where there is only a rush-hour TTC bus (every half hour) and that only goes southbound on Dufferin.

But, this development should bring about some much needed transit improvement and you cannot forget the proximity to Rutherford GO here.

Looks like the first stages of this plan are already in motion,

On Dufferin in the SW corner of this plan, there is a notice up for the construction of two "urban village" townhomes south of what is now the No Frills plaza (Ritajo centre). If you look on the PDF illustration http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newsc...Centre Urban Design Streetscape Master 1b.pdf --page 3
you will see the context. They are the two rectangular buildings above the suburban homes that currently exist.

Seems to be something going on. Couldn't find any info online yet and only drove by this morning on the bus but there is a sign up for a highrise from NorStar corp. Additionally, there are 'executive townhomes' going in South of the plaza along Dufferin. No renders yet but I will try to take a picture of the signs for the two developments at my next chance.

Seems like the ball is now rolling up here!

Looks interesting, but this plan is not supported by any transit. The density should be focused more between Dufferin and Keele to centre it around the GO station.

Back