271     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 463     0 

Career Advice: Construction and Development Project Management

NorthWill

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello All,

Seeking advice on the direction I should take towards developing a career in construction and development project management.

I'd like to get on with a GC and eventually make my way into a project management role.

I previously completed a B.Comm., majoring in Finance, then went on to help start and grow a specialized industrial construction co. founded by my family. I'm 27 now, since graduating I've gained experience estimating, tendering and managing Scaffolding, Insulation and Coating work for Oil Sands and SAGD facilities and related infrastructure across northern Alberta.

Also did one short internship at a big name CRE consultancy prior to university graduation, which involved exposure to commercial real estate appraisal, gained experience valuing all types of commercial property.

My family's business has been doing well, it's still going well despite the downturn in spend by Oil & Gas project owners, but I want to build buildings and be involved in development.

I'm quite knowledgeable about commercial real estate and business aspects concerning construction projects and construction companies, an understanding of commercial real estate allows me to understand the project owners perspective and concerns better, but I am less technically inclined / lacking craft experience in building construction, I am wondering whether Toronto GC's may strictly prefer to place CET and P.Eng. accredited persons into construction management roles?

Perhaps I could apprentice as a carpenter and work back up to construction coordination and project management roles at a group that does what I'm interested in doing?

In any case, supplementing my experience and education, I am planning to complete the PMP, Gold Seal, BCQ and PQS designations.

Otherwise, though I'd prefer to stay working, I've given some thought to completing a civil engineering or civil engineering tech. program to improve prospects as a project manager for a commercial/ institutional oriented construction group.

Advice?

Last edited:

Back