News   Oct 02, 2024
 264     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 575     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Canadian real estate plays

oh brother.

i have no "unhedged long call on RE". i just bought a place to live in.

By that then what you are implying is no matter if the market drops or goes up 40%, you don't care and will continue holding your principle residence. OK, I can take that at face value. But if true, the role of "speculators" from your point of view shouldn't matter so why would you ever give a rat's ass if they "get burned" as you put it ??

Note the large volume on HR/UN.to reit: shorts covering? Double bottom forming, target $20+

technicals say it's time to start loading into a long position here.:)

Thanks for the TA urban. Not to make this into an equity forum, but I noticed that alot of the trusts (including REITs) and dividend paying equities are being hammered hard with yields now very very juicy. Is this the market telling us interest rates are ready to spring up ??

Alot of REITs are already pretty beaten up but I am sure there are weaker names like any other sector. Any examples you care to share cabbage ?? thanks.

i would be wary of any reits that have double digit distributions, it's difficult to find properties with double digit cap rates. i know this is a simplified way of looking at it and there is accounting mumbo jumbo that can justify why this isn't offside, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Al Rosen did a review of income trusts several years ago and found many of them were paying out of capital not profit. i suspect the same is true for some reits.

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/GAM.20080708.PRREIT08/GITrusts/

"The percentage of bank mortgages in arrears is also stable at 0.27 per cent, the lowest levels experienced since 1990 and well below the highs of 0.65 per cent in 1992 and 1997."

Looks like we don't really have any problems in that department anyway. But I suppose it's a good thing they are shoring up requirements even further.

I kinda feel pity for the people who put off buying a property to wait for a "market crash". I bet they are all kicking themselves.

"The percentage of bank mortgages in arrears is also stable at 0.27 per cent, the lowest levels experienced since 1990 and well below the highs of 0.65 per cent in 1992 and 1997."

We're relieved because the numbers are as low as they were during the end of the last boom cycle?

I'm renting, and just took advantage of HR/un.TO for a little flip. Looks like the market is saying--watch out for cheaper prices. Not surprising, given the major tankage American real estate stocks have taken during the past year....

Stuff like TARR, an incredible trading stock--should bounce off $1 soon, imho! For a double! Better than any condo "flip" in T-dot.:D

sc

Back