News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 557     0 

Canadian real estate plays

lowesthangingfruit

Member Bio
Reaction score
I check this site every now and then to get a sense of market sentiment.

Whether you're bullish or bearish, I don't care, but can anyone recommend or know of any publically traded companies directly dependent or leveraged to real estate in Canada but are not REITS nor companies that pay dividends. (ie. companies with no dividends leveraged to real estate, preferably very liquid and preferably operate in areas like Vancouver, any of prarie provinces, Toronto or other "hot" areas).

thanks for any feedback.

HR/UN.TO H&R reit looks like bottom is in on chart

sc

rsi below 30 indicates it's oversold, is nearing 3 year low, and MACD is flattening out indicating bottom is near in the $17.xx range. Watching it, not entering yet.

Otherwise, google or stockhouse has some good search results; check out this chart, looks like bottom is in on some American real estate indexes:
http://www.stockhouse.com/tools/?page=/FinancialTools/sn_overview.asp?symbol=.DJTREA&table=NYSE

Yes, thanks, I know HR.UN. I am actually long some beaten up REITS including HR.UN and probably will pick up more as interest rates start ticking up and everyone else is pushing the sell button.

What I was looking for is something that hasn't bottomed out yet, pays no div (so REITs can't qualify), highly dependent or leveraged to real estate especially in "hot" markets in Canada,....so I can SHORT it. Worked great in the US as there were so many oppurtunities on US markets to short real estate, but finding it hard in Canadian markets. Even better if someone knows of a short ETF in Canada.

Thanks.

There's nothing I love more than seeing market speculators get burned.

I remember all the so-called experts picking up bear stearns when it plumetted to $30, thinking it had hit the bottom (only to hit $3-4 the next trading day).

Then there were all supposed experts who shorted it at $6, thinking (in their pessimistic way) it would settle at $2 (which was JP Morgan's bid at the time). Then of course it shot up to $10 and they all lost tons of money.

Anyway, for the sake of my entertainment, someone please point this guy towards some stock that is tied into the Canadian real estate market so he can short it and I can have another good laugh.

There's nothing I love more than seeing market speculators get burned.

I remember all the so-called experts picking up bear stearns when it plumetted to $30, thinking it had hit the bottom (only to hit $3-4 the next trading day).

Then there were all supposed experts who shorted it at $6, thinking (in their pessimistic way) it would settle at $2 (which was JP Morgan's bid at the time). Then of course it shot up to $10 and they all lost tons of money.

Anyway, for the sake of my entertainment, someone please point this guy towards some stock that is tied into the Canadian real estate market so he can short it and I can have another good laugh.

^^I'm not sure why gei would find such matters amusing, but everyone has their own sense of humour.

No doubt there are dangers to shorting, I won't argue that point, but what gei doesn't seem to realize is that there are different reasons to short.

1) Pure speculation as gei pointed out above.
2) As a hedge/insurance against physical real estate holdings. It's not like one can buy a put option on one's downtown condo unit(s). So next best thing is to look to the financial markets for some sort of vehicle to offer protection.
3) No one knows for sure which direction Canadian real estate is heading. For those long on real estate but find it not feasible or practical to sell or sees more upside potential and want to keep long positions, then the above strategy would make sense.

Sounds like gei is long and sees no down side risk which in and of itself is a market speculation call which he/she seems to like mocking. It may very well turn out that gei is right and real estate keeps going up in which case the short/hedge position lost money. But that is why they call it insurance. Perhaps gei finds it amusing as well that ppl who buy home and auto insurance but never made a claim to be "foolish".

Bulls make money, bears make money, but it's the pigs that get led to the slaughterhouse.

Hmm, remember, the stock and the company are two different "ideas" really. MEQ.to looks set to retest $15+ soon, if fundamentals don't collapse.... The public thinks condos are a good investment, so prices keep going up. Same with MEQ.to. But, I think medium term (before EOY), MEQ.to could go down.

gei,

Why would you purposely desire to see someone else suffer?
Because I hate market manipulators affecting the prices of things like real estate (along with oil, food, and a few other things... but that is beyond the scope of this conversation).

I would love nothing more than to see them get burned.

gei: if you can't beat them, join them!

as for oil: when obama announces he's pulling out of iraq in 2012, i expect oil to tank. I think it's time to start loading up on greenbacks:)

Re: real estate plays. Does anyone else hang out on ihub? Here's what "real estate" search found, some interesting ideas here:

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/getboards.asp?SearchStr=real estate

Re Gei.
Doesn't matter to me what he/she likes or dislikes. He/she doesn't seem to understand his/her unhedged long call on RE is in and of itself a "speculation", the very thing he/she "hates". Kind of ironic. Anyways, I am not here to change his/her mind nor do I care if he/she enjoys seeing a short squeeze or not, as he/she is just another speculator on the other side of the trade as far as I am concened.

Thanks for feedback re. MEQ. It does kind of looks sick, I agree, but you are also probably right about institutional support. Maybe hard to short given such a low trading volume, but I will keep an eye on it, thank you again.

Anyone know of any short CAD ETFs on RE ??

Re Gei.
Doesn't matter to me what he/she likes or dislikes. He/she doesn't seem to understand his/her unhedged long call on RE is in and of itself a "speculation", the very thing he/she "hates". Kind of ironic. Anyways, I am not here to change his/her mind nor do I care if he/she enjoys seeing a short squeeze or not, as he/she is just another speculator on the other side of the trade as far as I am concened.

Thanks for feedback re. MEQ. It does kind of looks sick, I agree, but you are also probably right about institutional support. Maybe hard to short given such a low trading volume, but I will keep an eye on it, thank you again.

Anyone know of any short CAD ETFs on RE ??
oh brother.

i have no "unhedged long call on RE". i just bought a place to live in.

if you take a look at some of the smaller reits their payouts are not sustainable. looks like its eating into the capital.

not sure if this is the best time to be loading up on reits. they're finding it harder to find deals with good cap and the credit to finance them.

Back