News   Apr 25, 2024
 120     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 380     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Canadian Premier League T20 Cricket Stadium (?,?,?)

On the subject of cricket and the viability of a team or fan market in the GTA my question is, is their a market for selling cricket to second and third etc. generation GTA immigrant families? I think this is an interesting question. There are high school cricket teams in some high schools with large South Asian populations. Do people from cricket loving nations convert to other sports like baseball or basketball here or do they have strong ties to cricket that last for generations?

That's an interesting thought and I'd be inclined to think the kids would go with a traditional North American sport. When I moved here from England I stopped watching football, started watching hockey and never went back.

35,000 seats for a CANADIAN cricket stadium? I could maybe see filling that if you bring in a special attraction from overseas but how often are you going to do that? I have no idea about cricket in this country, but a domestic league will need a stadium that large is hard to believe.

On the subject of cricket and the viability of a team or fan market in the GTA my question is, is their a market for selling cricket to second and third etc. generation GTA immigrant families? I think this is an interesting question. There are high school cricket teams in some high schools with large South Asian populations. Do people from cricket loving nations convert to other sports like baseball or basketball here or do they have strong ties to cricket that last for generations?

From my experience the children of immigrants from cricket loving nations who were born and raised in Canada don't care about cricket. I grew up with a ton of people who are of Punjabi, Gujarati, Trinidadian, Guyanese, or Tamil descent and none of them care about it and if they did follow sports it was the Leafs, Raptors and/or the Jays. Everyone that I know that loves cricket are recent immigrants or people came over when they were young.

no i just thought with the price tag of a franchise plus the stadium costs that no one would do it. but if someone is crazy enough to spend 700 million on a cricket stadium then clearly someone might be crazy enough to deliver us a nfl team. I say this as someone who spent a month in india on business where they only play cricket, so i get the appeal just question it in canada even with a growing imigrant population.

I don't think building a stadium was ever the problem in regards to a Toronto NFL team. The problem has always been acquiring a team and fears of how a NFL team would adversely effect the CFL and the Argos.

Been to one cricket match in my life.....at a sold out SkyDome....West Indies against someone (can't remember).....if these guys have 700 million, maybe they could just offer Rogers $500 mil for Rogers Centre...use the remaining $200 mil to make whatever changes are needed to make it right for cricket on a permanent basis and Rogers can use the $500 mil to build the sort of baseball park that baseball fans seem to be clamouring for (ironically, an outdoor park).

From my experience the children of immigrants from cricket loving nations who were born and raised in Canada don't care about cricket. I grew up with a ton of people who are of Punjabi, Gujarati, Trinidadian, Guyanese, or Tamil descent and none of them care about it and if they did follow sports it was the Leafs, Raptors and/or the Jays. Everyone that I know that loves cricket are recent immigrants or people came over when they were young.

I don't think building a stadium was ever the problem in regards to a Toronto NFL team. The problem has always been acquiring a team and fears of how a NFL team would adversely effect the CFL and the Argos.

Not to drag another non-NFL stadium thread into the whole NFLtoToronto thing but the total cost of an NFL team is huge. If a NBA team that rents its arena from a competitor is worth $2B then I shudder to think what the cost of the next NFL team awarded/sold will be.....add in a $1B + for a stadium and you are getting into a bit of a stratospheric price range.

Been to one cricket match in my life.....at a sold out SkyDome....West Indies against someone (can't remember).....if these guys have 700 million, maybe they could just offer Rogers $500 mil for Rogers Centre...use the remaining $200 mil to make whatever changes are needed to make it right for cricket on a permanent basis and Rogers can use the $500 mil to build the sort of baseball park that baseball fans seem to be clamouring for (ironically, an outdoor park).

Rogers Centre is by no means a good baseball stadium but it is in a great location. Where would you build a new baseball stadium?

Rogers Centre is by no means a good baseball stadium but it is in a great location. Where would you build a new baseball stadium?

Well, I was kidding about the cricketers buying Rogers Centre (didn't think it needed a smley guy)...but since you ask, I have no idea where you would build a new baseball stadium but every baseball fan I know when we talk about the horrible average attendance at Jays games they always get around to the stadium and tell me they would for sure go to more games if there was a true baseball park like they have in Baltimore/Pittsburgh/etc.

The fact that they are pitching The Islands as a suitable spot for this makes me think they don't really know what they are doing.

Actually I was the originator for the pitch for the Islands (under friends of Toronto Islands) - but this facility (with its required infrastructure) needs to be in the Portlands (adjacent to downtown). I didn't read anything about this proposal (here) that mentioned the Island - did I miss something?

35,000 seats for a CANADIAN cricket stadium? I could maybe see filling that if you bring in a special attraction from overseas but how often are you going to do that? I have no idea about cricket in this country, but a domestic league will need a stadium that large is hard to believe.

The ICC knows that Toronto would be a Cricket mecca for the western hemisphere. 35k seats would be a conservative start. The IPL would outdraw the NFL in Toronto. Guaranteed.

Well, I was kidding about the cricketers buying Rogers Centre (didn't think it needed a smley guy)...but since you ask, I have no idea where you would build a new baseball stadium but every baseball fan I know when we talk about the horrible average attendance at Jays games they always get around to the stadium and tell me they would for sure go to more games if there was a true baseball park like they have in Baltimore/Pittsburgh/etc.

Looking at other recent stadiums, the increase in attendance seems to last only a few years before they return to what it was before the stadium was built. Honestly what seems to be best for attendance is winning.

That being said I would love a new stadium since the Rogers Centre is pretty bad for baseball. An open air 35-40 K stadium would be great but I just don't know where they could build it that would be good for transit.

Looking at other recent stadiums, the increase in attendance seems to last only a few years before they return to what it was before the stadium was built. Honestly what seems to be best for attendance is winning.

an irony not lost on me at all......the Jays moved indoors because of weather and I remember them talking about being a regional team and how the roof guaranteed families/groups that travel from KW/London/Barrie/etc to see games that the game would actually be played. Of course the Jays were a pretty good team back then so it is hard to determine how much of their attendance boost came from winning and how much came from the Dome....likely a combo.

That being said I would love a new stadium since the Rogers Centre is pretty bad for baseball. An open air 35-40 K stadium would be great but I just don't know where they could build it that would be good for transit.

Of all the sports played at RC it is better for baseball than any of the others.....but it was a compromise solution (as all mult-sport stadiums are to some extent).

Actually I was the originator for the pitch for the Islands (under friends of Toronto Islands) - but this facility (with its required infrastructure) needs to be in the Portlands (adjacent to downtown). I didn't read anything about this proposal (here) that mentioned the Island - did I miss something?
Sorry I got it from a Global News article. But upon re-reading it I noticed that it was mentioning the 2012 proposal for The Islands that was different than the current one.

Back