News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Canadian patriotism... Or lack of...

Everyone: This is the kind of topic that keeps me interested in the UT website and keeps me coming back-I found this to be quite interesting learning some UT members thoughts on being Canadian-especially Lesouris's very informative thoughts.
I personally feel that Canada has plenty to offer being one of the most desirable countries in the World in which to live.
Canada may have its differences but it pales compared to the divisive "us vs.them" mentality that plagues the USA today politically...
Thoughts from LI MIKE

Luckily the us vs. them attitude in the political class is mostly limited to politicians and their spinners. It is the problem that happens when only a minority actually vote, the parties move away from the centre to motivating only their base. Most all people file taxes, and the federal tax filing should be used to create the "default" voter list. The more people you can motivate to vote, the less the politicians can play on us vs. them.

Anyone who doubts Canadian patriotism clearly wasn't at Yonge and Dundas after the game.

Til I take my last breath. With me at least. I still refuse to get my EU-Czech citizenship that I'm eligible for cause I don't want it to taint my Canadianess....or something. I piss maple syrup and shit pucks.

Patriotism was in full-force yesterday. 80% of the country watched at least part of the game and 16.6 million (so like 50%) watched on average. Most watched event in the history of Canada. Honestly, for people who say sport isn't a catalyst for patriotism, how do you explain yesterday? When was the last time 4 out of 5 people in this country shared the same experience?
And what were the other 20% doing? Did anyone here not watch even a moment of the game? I've yet to find anyone who wasn't watching.

Telltale signs of these Games' impact on patriotism, at least in my personal experience, include:
- the facebook status of most of my Canadian friends, including those 1.5 generation immigrant youths who have moved back to their ancestral land for study/work and those who once said Canada was only their "stepping stone", were all cheering on Team Canada
- and many of them also flocked to the streets in Vancouver and Toronto to celebrate after the hockey gold
- my parents, first generation immigrants who know virtually nothing about hockey and curling, tuned in to watch at least parts of the gold medal matches (and many other events)

I was born here, but my parents were immigrants who came here as teenagers. I don't think you should completely abandon your culture....but if you come to this country you should immerse yourself in its culture. It annoys me that some people come here and don't want to assimilate. I ask, "why did you even bother coming here?"

Canada's still a fairly new country....I think things will change over time.

why can't we embrace the fact that different people can come here and still have the ability to celebrate and practice their own cultures without fear of being labelled or socially stigmatized? i think that THAT is canada's strong suit and what we are known for internationally. i know it is kind of a paradox; our identity is that we don't have an identity.
but just roll with it!

It is just simple science here.... you cannot impact/effect others without impacting/affecting oneself :eek: i.e. Each immigrant will be changed (little or a lot) culturally when he immigrates, but Canada changes as well. Accept that the only constant in life is change, and you will grow, reject it and you will stagnate. I pity those that cannot accept change, and huddle on their front porches complaining about those dammed immigrants :p

Excellent point. If there are no immigrants, they'd be complaining about something else - like the questionable tastes and 'moral decay' of the new generation, etc.

What concerns me is that the patriotism at the games are relatively superficial - I mean, cheering for a national hockey team is one thing - but just how does that translate into a tangible vision for the country and substantive nation building?

AoD

Last edited:

Back