News   Apr 19, 2024
 104     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 756     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

Canadian National Exhibition

We arrived at the CNE at 9:40 am this morning, got the ideal easy exit parking spot under the Enercare Centre. With parking at $40 we considered taking the TTC, where the both of us would be $12.80. But given the heat and speedy travel home we agreed the extra $27.80 to park was more than worth it. We left after the air show around 4pm. A good day out.

Perhaps it is time to return the grand old lady to a 20-day fair?

I think this year was pent up interest and nothing more. The CNE was overpriced and cut back this year.

My family and I all noticed how downsized the Enercare Centre was this year. In previous years, the shopping would have spread out into the larger hall in the back of the Enercare Centre while the brand name outlets were in the main section.

The gaming garage used to be in the industrial annex and now it is in the Enercare Centre proper.

In both cases, you could see how they were consolidating the vendors and utilizing the space. Even the Sand Castle display went from multiple displays in the Enercare Centre to one display in the Better Living Centre.

When we went to the Queen Elizabeth Building, we noted that alot of the former vendors did not return and that there were far less vendors than in previous years.

When we got to the midway, the games were all $10 and some of the usual suspects like the "Horse Racing" betting game were gone. Alot of the games were second rate. It seemed like there was a birthday game every few feet. It was very much overpriced.

I missed the CNE but if it is like this next year, they will likely see a decline year over year. I was not impressed this year.

Organizers of the Canadian National Exhibition say the return of Toronto’s annual summer fair after two years of absence has been largely successful.

“What we have seen is really an enthusiastic response,” said CNE CEO Darrell Brown, who said the fair saw about a 10 per cent increase in attendance compared to 2019, the last time it was held.

He said attendance is usually affected by weather — even a gloomy forecast that never comes to fruition can affect people’s decision to come to the fair. This past Saturday there were 110,000 attendees, he said, noting they could have clocked more than 150,000 if the forecast had been better.

There was a bit of a concern that the general public would hold back after two years of COVID-19 restrictions, but it appears people were ready to come out and have a good time at the fair.

The final figures won’t be available until a few days after the Ex is over, but Brown estimated they could surpass the 1.6 million record set in 2015.

“Overall, we couldn’t be happier in terms of what the enthusiasm is as well as the overall attendance,” he said.

Earlier reports indicated the fair lost more than $8 million for cancelling the 2020 and 2021 events, and missed out on more than $70 million in possible revenue for both years.

Brown said it’s impossible to recover such losses in just one fair but was hopeful that things will stabilize in the coming years with the ability to accommodate more people and vendors on the grounds.

Preliminary numbers also show there has been about a 40 per cent increase in ride usage and revenues compared to last time, with a similar increase reported by food vendors.

This year, the CNE offered 20,000 free passes to families from underprivileged communities, and allowed children from schools across the GTA the option to download free admission passes.

Brown also addressed the labour dispute that saw inspectors from the Technical Standards and Safety Authority stage a strike at the beginning of the fair. He said reports of safety issues on the grounds were not accurate, because the CNE has its own engineering corps that makes sure everything is safe for the public to use.

“There was no reduction in terms of oversight and there were no safety issues that were created because of this labour dispute,” he said. “I Just think it was unfortunate that we had a lot of disruptions from picketers at the opening ceremony.”

We arrived at the CNE at 9:40 am this morning, got the ideal easy exit parking spot under the Enercare Centre. With parking at $40 we considered taking the TTC, where the both of us would be $12.80. But given the heat and speedy travel home we agreed the extra $27.80 to park was more than worth it. We left after the air show around 4pm. A good day out.

Parking up at Liberty Village is another option. Like this place listed below where it's $2 for the first hour, and then $3 per hour after. Not as direct as parking under the Enercare Centre, but the walk down to the Exhibition GO station entrance is fairly reasonable. And doable within roughly 8 to 10 mins or so. I had a friend who did $35 parking at the Ontario Place.

My family and I all noticed how downsized the Enercare Centre was this year. In previous years, the shopping would have spread out into the larger hall in the back of the Enercare Centre while the brand name outlets were in the main section.
Yeah, lots of empty booths. Also a lot of empty booths in the Arts and Crafts Building, often with a bench to serve as a rest station.

I wonder what it costs to rent a booth? I suppose at least $2K for the two weeks, if not closer to $5K. Meaning you need to sell a lot of knickknacks to cover your expenses.

I wonder what it costs to rent a booth? I suppose at least $2K for the two weeks, if not closer to $5K. Meaning you need to sell a lot of knickknacks to cover your expenses.

From my understanding a few years ago it was 20K or more. I used to know someone who had a large booth at the CNE in the Enercare Centre. He was there up until 2018 when he pulled out due to high costs.

There was an uproar with vendors in 2017 over the costs where they were wondering if it was practical to remain there given the high costs.

From my understanding a few years ago it was 20K or more. I used to know someone who had a large booth at the CNE in the Enercare Centre. He was there up until 2018 when he pulled out due to high costs.

There was an uproar with vendors in 2017 over the costs where they were wondering if it was practical to remain there given the high costs.
$20K!! Jeez. Over 18 days that's $1,112 a day. The market is open from 10 am to I believe 6pm, so ten hours a day, or 180 hours over the 18 days. Assuming you pay yourself min $14/hr, that's another $2.5K just for your time.

My wife bought a silk scarf in the Enercare centre for $40. Our man needs to sell 32 scarves a day just to break even on rent and wages.

CNE tickets are $13 on opening day (Aug 18, 2023). And $11 for evenings Monday to Thursday after 5 PM, excluding Labour Day, which is also their final day (Sept 4).

Last edited:
I'm hoping there are more vendors this year. Last year was a severe disappointment in terms of the overall offerings.

The QE Building and the National Trade Centre were bereft of vendors compared to previous years. It may have been a post-covid uncertainty thing but at the same time the CNE truly didn't appeal to me last year.

If there is the same level of vendors, exhibits and offerings as last year it will not help them survive long term.

Some of this year's food offerings:
  • Deep-fried frog legs
  • Street corn-flavoured lemonade
  • Street-corn flavoured ice cream
  • Lychee, pineapple and habanero-flavoured iced tea
  • A watermelon burger, featuring watermelon slices instead of bread
  • Pickle-flavoured cotton-candy
  • Thanksgiving poutine, featuring gravy, cranberry sauce and stuffing
  • Peanut butter and chocolate-flavoured corndogs

The 2023 season had record attendance of 1.6 million.

Where are they getting this 'record' from?

In the 70s annual attendance was well over 3,000,000

Today's Ex is shorter by about a week which would cause one to expect lower attendance; still, even if you expanded this year's number by 50% you don't get anywhere near the numbers in the 70s.

Where are they getting this 'record' from?

In the 70s annual attendance was well over 3,000,000

Today's Ex is shorter by about a week which would cause one to expect lower attendance; still, even if you expanded this year's number by 50% you don't get anywhere near the numbers in the 70s.

Apparently they are claiming the all time record is 1.7 million in 1998.

Back