News   Jul 15, 2024
 374     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 543     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

I don't understand what will happen with the present CityTV building? I see that it is being restored, or at least that is what I assume the scaffolding is for..but what is in store for it next?

p5

sorry if this is an idiotic question, but does this mean muchmusic is moving as well? i dunno if muchmusic is affiliated. it'd be a shame if they left that landmark location.

sorry if this is an idiotic question, but does this mean muchmusic is moving as well? i dunno if muchmusic is affiliated. it'd be a shame if they left that landmark location.

MuchMusic is staying, since CTV now owns them (the building is now being called the MuchMusic world headquarters, to disassociate it with CityTV). I wish the CRTC ruled that CityTV and MuchMusic remain a package deal - I don't think it's right that CTV now owns both MuchMusic and MTV Canada.

As for the building, I'd assume CTV would move some of their operations into the location.

Just scrap City TV altogether. It's such an amateur piece of feces.

But they were innovators too. They were one of the first to ditch the news anchor desk, they pioneered the practice of the reporter videotaping his own story, creating a more cohesive story (theoretically). They also produce plenty of local programming.

Maybe the city is getting ready to offer Rogers some borrowed money to set up camp on the waterfront

I like CTV's national news broadcast, but their local news is awful. The worst is when they try to match CityTV's brand appeal. They come across as your parents trying to be cool.
Anyone remember their short-lived Speaker's Corner knockoff in the mid-90s?

Anyone remember their short-lived Speaker's Corner knockoff in the mid-90s?

That's one of the first things that came to mind when I made the "parents trying to be cool comment". Speaker's Corner has a fun, anything goes sort of attitude...their version was anything but.

People often think of the CHUMCity building as Toronto's television landmark. What's often forgotten is that the OMNI Television building is also a pretty nice building, with its Art Deco motifs and the glass dome. I'd hate to see this building abandoned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFMT_Building

... and another thought.

How about CityTV moving into the Sam the Record Man building? Somehow I see those spinning neon records as potentially CityTV's newest symbols if they ever move into that building.

... and another thought.

How about CityTV moving into the Sam the Record Man building? Somehow I see those spinning neon records as potentially CityTV's newest symbols if they ever move into that building.

I have a hard time believing it's big enough to hold CityTV. They'd have to add quite a bit of space.

Central Toronto could mean Roger's head office. I hope not.

Nothing better for CityTV than YDS, short of staying at their current location.

CBC is boring broadcasting. The only remotely interesting thing on CBC is it's sports coverage.
CTV is much more appealing for news.
How so? It's more entertaining?

But are they even allowed to operate three broadcast stations (CITY-TV, CFMT and CJMT) in one market? Even the two OMNI stations (CFMT and CJMT) show enough filler American shows to make the multicultural argument a bit weak.
Hard to say. My opinion would be no, but this is the CRTC we are talking about. Considering CTV was allowed to keep both CTV Ottawa and A-Channel Ottawa the precedent has been set within the past year.

why not the Skydome?
I'd say Skydome is likely in their top 5 list of locations for City-TV.

Isn't there a broadcasting studio going into the new Maple Leaf Square complex beside the ACC?

Back