Canada's Constitution Fuels Urban Crisis

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
The plight of Canadian cities

January/February 2011

By John Macfarlane

wordmark.png

Read More: http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2011.01-editors-note-editors-note

In 1867, when the British North America Act set out the terms of Confederation, most Canadians lived in small towns and villages or on farms. Cities as we now know them did not exist yet. The population of Montreal, then the country’s biggest city, was 105,000. Quebec City, at 60,000, was next, followed by Toronto, which had 50,000 inhabitants. Only one in five Canadians lived in a community with more than 1,000 residents, so the fact that the act made no provision for the financing of cities was unsurprising. Unsurprising, but unfortunate, because here we are, almost a century and a half later, an overwhelmingly urban society struggling to pay for pothole repairs and garbage removal because the Fathers of Confederation gave taxation rights exclusively to the federal and provincial governments. Then, as now, cities were an afterthought.

- Fall municipal elections in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island produced unwelcome reminders of the plight of our decaying, underfunded cities. One has only to watch television news to see how quickly we are falling behind urban behemoths that, until recently, we had never heard of. In fifteen years, China will have fifteen urban centres with populations averaging twenty-five million. In Canada, the only city with global potential — by virtue of its size, wealth, and diversity — is Toronto, but Toronto is falling apart. Its public transit system, once the envy of North America, is now twenty-five years behind the times. Its streets and parks are an embarrassment.

- The problem originates with the Constitution but is sustained by politics. The country’s electoral map has not been redrawn to adequately reflect this new urban reality. In the House of Commons, politicians representing rural ridings still hold a disproportionately large number of seats (138 of 308). This distortion of representation by population persists at the provincial level as well, compounding the problem. At the senior levels of government, then, there is little or no immediate advantage in addressing the welfare of cities, although, to be fair, some politicians have tried.

- David Miller, the outgoing mayor of Toronto, was fond of reminding the electorate that only six cents of every Canadian tax dollar is spent on cities. Perhaps he hoped that knowledge of this fiscal injustice would encourage us to take to the streets in protest. If so, he was disappointed, because in Toronto, as in Canada’s other big cities, the citizenry still seems to believe that city building is a municipal enterprise, when, as more enlightened nations are beginning to realize, it is also the job of the state.

2011.01-editorsnote.jpg

It's true.

What's really sad is that the electorate seems to fail to recognize we're an overwhelmingly urban nation. It comes down to the "Rob Ford" factor again; in aself- recognized urban nation penny-pinching at the expense of our cities would never stand.

If the electorate would recognize that recognizing our urban nature would improve Canada dramatically, then maybe we would push for the demographic reforms allowing for us to take full advantage of our cities. If we can get globally regarded cities like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver (and Naheed Nenshi trying to add Calgary to that list) while denying our urbanity, what could we achieve if we gave cities the tools to succeed?

The 6 cents on the dollar argument is a bit disingenuous. The largest line item in the budget for senior levels of government is healthcare. That money is spent on cities just as it is for rural people. The real problem with government in Canada is that there is incongruency between who raises the money and who makes the decision.

The 6 cents on the dollar argument is a bit disingenuous. The largest line item in the budget for senior levels of government is healthcare. That money is spent on cities just as it is for rural people. The real problem with government in Canada is that there is incongruency between who raises the money and who makes the decision.

I agree. That is nothing more than propaganda.

I think the real underlying issues are the concepts of efficiency, equitable distribution, and effectiveness. These concepts are politically and ideologically fluid. They spring up in different ways along all points of the political spectrum depending on the issues being discussed. All people argue for efficiency, equitable distribution or effectiveness depending on the motivation of their own self-interest.

As an example the free market is efficient and sometimes effective, but not necessarily effective and it is almost never equitable. People left and right argue for markets depending on how it serves their self interests.

Cities are much like markets, they are efficient and sometimes effective, but not necessarily effective and almost never equitable.

In the case of city funding both rural and city folk ironically believe that funding by senior governments is inequitable. One believing too much funding goes to cities, the other not enough. They are both probably right and wrong. Funding for cities is however intrinsically more efficient use of funding. Healthcare or transit spending for instance in a large city is a more optimal use of funding than funding rural concerns. The debate really is does efficient mean effective and is sacrificing equitable worth it?

You guys are forgetting the true enemy.............Quebec. Much of this can be placed right at Quebec's feet. Even if everyone in the country wanted to renew the Constitution to reflect our urban reality it will never get done. It would require and reopening of the Consitutional debate and that's where Quebec comes in. Quebec would demand a new Constitution to reflect it's "unique cultur". In other words it would be opening the door to yet another Meech or Charlottetown Accord and all the troubles and potential separation that may ensue.
This is why it is never discussed yet it is the fundamental problem. The feds and provinces know it and so it will NEVER happen.

i think it is a stretch to say toronto's streets and parks are a nightmare, and imo we still have a better transit system than any city in canada

It depends which context they are implying with regard to our streets. In terms of traffic, our streets are definitely a nightmare, and I'd say the same can be said for their physical state. We have potholes galore. Our parks are definitely an embarrassment. More care could be taken to maintain their lushness. Too many parks have dead patches of grass that haven't been touched in decades. Underground sprinklers would be a great idea in all our parks to help keep the grass healthy during summer droughts. That's something I'd support as a taxpayer. I'd also like to see more variety in our park gardens, though we generally do a pretty good job with them. I've noticed a lot of trees were planted in some of my local parks this past fall. Does anyone know if the city plants any weeping willows anymore? They're one of the fastest growing trees, but they are also highly susceptible to branch snapping because of their weight and cascading structure. I'd like to see more variety of trees plant, not just local trees. My older brother is growing some Kentucky coffee bean trees, which he plans of planting in a few city parks.

You guys are forgetting the true enemy.............Quebec. Much of this can be placed right at Quebec's feet. Even if everyone in the country wanted to renew the Constitution to reflect our urban reality it will never get done. It would require and reopening of the Consitutional debate and that's where Quebec comes in. Quebec would demand a new Constitution to reflect it's "unique cultur". In other words it would be opening the door to yet another Meech or Charlottetown Accord and all the troubles and potential separation that may ensue.
This is why it is never discussed yet it is the fundamental problem. The feds and provinces know it and so it will NEVER happen.

Quebec is an easy scapegoat, but if you'd look into the history of the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords, you'll find that there was a whole lot more going on: Aboriginal exclusion, Western alienation, concerns from groups such as feminists, Trudeau-style federalists, etc. There are literally hundreds of competing interests that need to be taken into consideration when crafting a large constitutional overhaul, which is why no Prime Minister (especially one in a minority government situation) wants to open this issue up again.

Besides, is Quebec's "distinct society" even all that controversial anymore? Didn't Parliament already recognize it a few years ago without provoking widespread anger or a massive national unity crisis?

It depends which context they are implying with regard to our streets. In terms of traffic, our streets are definitely a nightmare, and I'd say the same can be said for their physical state. We have potholes galore. Our parks are definitely an embarrassment. More care could be taken to maintain their lushness. Too many parks have dead patches of grass that haven't been touched in decades. Underground sprinklers would be a great idea in all our parks to help keep the grass healthy during summer droughts. That's something I'd support as a taxpayer. I'd also like to see more variety in our park gardens, though we generally do a pretty good job with them. I've noticed a lot of trees were planted in some of my local parks this past fall. Does anyone know if the city plants any weeping willows anymore? They're one of the fastest growing trees, but they are also highly susceptible to branch snapping because of their weight and cascading structure. I'd like to see more variety of trees plant, not just local trees. My older brother is growing some Kentucky coffee bean trees, which he plans of planting in a few city parks.

Pot holes are a fact of life in this climate, they aren't going away. The pavement cracks, it breaks apart, a hole forms and they get fixed, usually in a timely manner.

When was the last time you walked through a park and actually stopped to look around? The city does a tremendous job keeping park grass mowed, trimmed and a great variety of perennials and annuals planted keeping most parks lush and beautiful for most of the growing season. Sprinklers would be great but the cost of installing the infrastructure for these systems in all of our parks and maintaining them is but a pipe dream. It is simply unaffordable and no politician would ever consider, let alone endorse such an extravagant expense. It'll never happen.

Has any Federal or Provincial politician gained votes by announcing massive funding for some Toronto initiative? Toronto will pretty much always vote Liberal. Liberals don't have to risk votes outside of Toronto by funneling money to those hated Toronto people. The Conservatives would have to pretty much promise a maglev system running all over the GTA before Toronto people would give them a Liberal seat.

There must be other things going on in dynamic Toronto that allows it's ascendancy, seemingly " against all odds ". The steady influx of new Canadians to this area, along with recent international investor attention on Canada, goes a long way to fuel Toronto's growth. But there's more. This website affords a daily sense of the vibrancy of Toronto. Toronto growing up reminds me in some ways of an interminable teenager angst over identity issues that flower in unexpected ways. Commonplaces such as " Toronto is gonna be a nice place if they ever get it finished ", are as relevant now as they were 50 years ago. And the line about Toronto being " New York run by the Swiss ", suddenly has new cachet.

Quebec is the enemy? Montreal, with perhaps a 4 million pop through the next decade, and the 2nd busiest subway system in North America, would surely be on board with efforts to secure a better deal for cities. Thanks for insulting a quarter of Canada's population and the majority of Canadians who respect Quebec's distinct place in our history and future.

Back