460     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 556     0 

Camera Bar shuts down

B

blixa442

Appearently Egoyan pulled the plug on this little cinema merely a year after it's opened... I guess people in Toronto just like their mainstream Hollywood stuff.

I had only ever heard of it before through UT (so connected here). There definately seems to have been a lack of promotion or buzz. I highly doubt a lack of interest as the place is so small and in a city the size of Toronto there must be more than enough people interested in this sort of place to keep it reasonably full most nights of the week.

There definately seems to have been a lack of promotion or buzz. I highly doubt a lack of interest as the place is so small and in a city the size of Toronto there must be more than enough people interested in this sort of place to keep it reasonably full most nights of the week.

I agree...can't expect it to do well if isn't well promoted.

I dunno -- i've heard about it all along (I don't mean that to sound snotty -- i stopped paying attention to film stuff about 3 years ago, but the Camera still came up a lot) -- it was always listed with the other rep's in Eye and Now, and there were lots of events that took place there. And it was talked about on this board a few times too.

It would never appeal to the Paramount crowd (whoever they are -- the blockbuster people), so doing a big campaign may not have helped. It's hard to market niche things i guess.

I think it used to be listed everywhere - The Star, The Globe, Tribute.ca. I don't know if it ever got a license for the cinema section. Camera's plan was to allow you to carry your beer or wine or drinkypoo into the screening, but the liquor licensing board was suspicious that patrons might have a good time were that to be allowed, so it hadn't happened by the last time I was there. It was gulp, gulp, and into the screenings for me...

Anyone know if it ever did get its license? I hope so, and I hope the place is able to return to daily screenings.

Anyone know if it ever did get its license? I hope so, and I hope the place is able to return to daily screenings.
I don't think they did, and perhaps that's part of the problem. Silly Ontario-only rules be damned!

That's too bad.

I've been meaning to show up for at least one of the several interesting films I heard being screened there. And I never did.

I guess the place lacks people like me to show their support
:\

Back