News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Cabbagetown

OK, who was it?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3355403/man-arrested-after-vehicle-crashes-into-storefront-in-cabbagetown/

A man has been arrested for impaired driving after police say he crashed his vehicle into a Toronto storefront and fled the scene early Tuesday morning.

The incident happened around 2:30 a.m. at the intersection of Parliament Street and Carlton Street in the city’s Cabbagetown neighbourhood.

Toronto police said the driver smashed his vehicle into the front entrance of Lennie’s Whole Foods store and drove off.

Officers managed to locate the driver in a residential neighbourhood four blocks away.

Police said he failed a roadside test and is facing a charge of impaired driving.

The driver suffered a minor injury to his ear. No other injuries were reported.

268160.jpg

I would love for the Esso station to be redeveloped at some point. Big opportunity, big lot.
That Esso station has the same issue as the now-removed Coffee Time, that of being a magnet for sketchy folks. Even from a more equalitarian perspective, the Esso station breaks up the pedestrian flow up Parliament, forever severing the retail spaces above Amelia from those just above Winchester.

I can get my gas in the 'burbs - I say close this station down.

When I read this article this morning calling for more towers, I thought to myself, thank gawd I bought in CT in the 1990s. I appreciate we've all got to live somewhere, and semi and row housing won't work for the growing population, but I love the relative low density, leafy streets of Cabbagetown vs. the tower communities all around us.

Some hold onto the idea that anyone who is renting is doing so because they can't afford to buy. That might be the case, but there are a lot of renters about who are earning pretty good money (and can afford pretty high rents). A pal of mine built and sold a nice duplex in prime Cabbagetown with two 2-bedroom units that would be attractive to the types surveyed in the Toronto Star article. I have heard that rents are way up, about 20% YOY...I wonder what that duplex is renting out for?

Cabbagetown proper has a lot of somewhat-shoddy duplexes, and I think they will continue to be upgraded for professional renters.

I'm enjoying going to Silk restaurant, especially when HOP is packed and rackety, but I'm not sure Silk will survive. It's always empty when I go with my family.

http://www.silkrestaurant.ca/store/page/location-2

It's been there for a long time as far as I can tell, but has been renamed/rebranded a few times? There are a lot of Cabbagetown restaurants that seem to always be empty. Going out for Thai is a tough thing to justify when Sukkothai delivery is so good.

It's been there for a long time as far as I can tell, but has been renamed/rebranded a few times? There are a lot of Cabbagetown restaurants that seem to always be empty. Going out for Thai is a tough thing to justify when Sukkothai delivery is so good.
Is it still there? On their website I only see the Dundas location. It's been a while since I looked on Parliament.

Thanks, I see it now, I'm glad Silk survives.

I finally went to Pear Tree for their Sunday roast beef with yorkshire pudding dinner for $15 on Sunday with the family. I've been meaning for go for ages, ever since HOP took theirs up to over $20 and became overcrowded and loud (kudos for their success though, better crowded than dead). The dinner at Pear Tree was very good, only let down by the lack of good beer choices, with everything on tap being Molson-Coors or InBev (yes, that includes you sellouts on Millstreet). I ended up with a Diageo Guinness from a can.

Back