News   Jul 22, 2024
 261     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 544     0 

Cabbagetown

I plan to call 311 tomorrow about the graffitti on the storefront at the NW corner of Parliament and Gerard. It has been covered with tagging for several months now. Also the past two weekends I have seen people doing light construction work inside at night, it appears to have been gutted, but I can't see any building permits outside. It's been vacant for maybe two years now and I am wondering if now they are trying to make a secret conversion into a residence. In any case I just want the major tagging removed.

Call for sure. This needs to be taken care of. As a fellow cabbagetown resident, I've noticed that too.

Call for sure. This needs to be taken care of. As a fellow cabbagetown resident, I've noticed that too.

Well I went by last night before calling to get the address, and it was already cleaned up, but rather poorly. You can still see a ghost image of all the tags. Someone did a half-assed job, but at least it's better than before. I noticed the building itself is now for sale.

Pho U is open. 420 Smokehouse opens next week.

The building at Parliament and Gerrard finally got permits.

Application#: 13 231706 HVA 00 MS
Issued Date: Oct 18, 2013
Project: Multiple Unit Building
Description: Install a new kitchen exhaust HVAC - Proposal to remove a partition wall in an existing ground floor restaurant, less than 30 seats.

I cannot seem to private message you, it says you have disabled this option? But I would love your input for sure! Seems like you are really knowledgeable about cabbagetown and family life. Might be me....I am not the best with technology.

Sorry, I forgot I disabled PM as was getting some annoying msgs a few years back. Ask me any questions here and I'll gladly share what I know.

The new Dollarama has opened on Parliament. My kids love that place as a destination for crayons, markers, stickers and other craft supplies. I follow retail biz and Dollarama is hurting Wal-Mart. I imagine the independent discount shop to the south will close down. Maybe a nice bakery could replace it. The area is changing for the better every day.

Do we know what's going in just north of the HOP? The row of four abandoned buildings on the West side of Parliment? Hoping they might get transformed into something soon.

the other night I could hear work going on at the old HOP space... what's up with that? Who does work at night in the dark?!

Anytime I pass by and work is actually happening, it's at night or on the weekend. They are definitely not using any traditional contractors. About two weeks ago I saw work going on that I think was excavation of the basement level. The floor had been broken up and they were hauling out material in wheelbarrows. Maybe they are trying to make a higher ceiling for that level by lowering the floor? They did recently add railings around the stairs and the upper level walkway. It's frustrating how slowly the work is progressing.

In other neighborhood events, 420 Smokehouse has delayed their opening another three weeks. I don't know what happened, but whatever it was it appears to have been an unexpected surprise to the owners too; they have posted an apology letter on the door for the delay.

The building at the north-west corner of Gerrard and Parliament has been sold and heavy renovations appear to be underway inside and outside.

The Hindu temple has left it's space. I don't know where it went, but the space has been totally gutted inside.

Dollarama is doing brisk business. They are good reputable shop and I'm happy they take that space.

Last edited:
Mexican Burrito - I'll let you guess what they sell - has "opened" at the north west corner of Parliament and Gerrard. I put opened in quotes as they have a banner outside saying that, but when I walked by today they were not open.

420 Smokehouse is, disappointingly, still not open.

Samosa King At Parliament and Cole finally looks ready to open after two years of construction.

Pho U seems to be having some early success. Their small dining in space always has a few people in it any time I pass by.

I am the owner of Pho U. I am new to this site and saw your post about our restaurant. Thank you for your post. I am trying to do some marketing about my restaurant too.

Mexican Burrito - I'll let you guess what they sell - has "opened" at the north west corner of Parliament and Gerrard. I put opened in quotes as they have a banner outside saying that, but when I walked by today they were not open.

420 Smokehouse is, disappointingly, still not open.

Samosa King At Parliament and Cole finally looks ready to open after two years of construction.

Pho U seems to be having some early success. Their small dining in space always has a few people in it any time I pass by.

Did we know that 252 Carlton was for sale?

Is this the Salvation Army building?

Will they be displaced?

252 Carlton Street
Located in one of the New Corridors of Urban Development at the high
traffic corner of Carlton Street and Parliament Street, 252 Carlton offers a
mix of retail and office space brought to modern standards. Property has
been upgraded with new base building elements, elevator and efficient HVAC
system, on one of the most historical corners in Toronto.
Building Amenities
> Fantastic location at the northwest corner of Carlton and Parliament
Streets with easy access to both the City Core, Don Valley Parkway and
TTC
> Efficient floor plates, and a total of 3 floors plus a usable lower level
> All leases with established tenancies and medium to long term(s)
> Upside potential with staggered rental increases
> 100’ frontage along Parliament Street
COLLIERS INTERNATIONAL
245 Yorkland Boulevard, Suite 200
Toronto, ON M2J 4W9
www.colliers.com/toronto
FOR SALE > INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Four Corners of “Cabbagetown”
252 CARLTON STREET, TORONTO, ONTARIO
DAN GUGULA*
Vice President
+1 416 791 7237
dan.gugula@colliers.com
On The Web
Virtual Tour >
http://www.obeo.com/833081
Property Profile >
http://www.collierscanada.com/11543
Daniels Spectrum >
http://regentparkarts.ca/visit
Wellesley Street East
Carlton Street
Gerrard Street East
Dundas Street East
Jarvis Street
Sherbourne Street
Parliament Street
Sumach Street
401 404
410 403
DVP
Subject Property
Daniels
Spectrum
An Award
Winning
Project
Total Building Area: 8,344 SF
Sale Price: $3,475,000.00 (5% Cap)
Financing: Free and Clear

The Four Corners of “Cabbagetown” - Colliers Internationalwww.collierscanada.com/services/PropertyFile.ashx?src=d&lid...‎Cached
View shared post
Nov 15, 2013 - system, on one of the most historical corners in Toronto. ... The Four Corners of “ Cabbagetown” ... Floor Plan - Basement and Ground Floor.

Looks like "Cafune" the Brazilian restaurant at Carlton & Ontario has gone t*ts up.

I pass that place pretty much every day and often though "I should try it out"...I guess I should have actually acted on that thought. Too bad.

Now back to my main concern: when is 420 Smokehouse ever going to open???

I hope you’ve all stayed safe and upright during this ice storm.

Today the family and I walked to Allan Gardens to see their Christmas displays. After that walk, the warmth of the greenhouses was a welcome treat. I highly recommend it all, especially in the evening when they light up the candles and Christmas lights.

Back