News   Jul 12, 2024
 892     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

Buyers hit with big bills for surprise adjustments

Did Markham planning staff review this?? It's the first time that I have heard of a planning dept reviewing closing adjustments and legal docs.

no Markham Planning staff are not involved in the closing adjustments and legal docs ... but I was just checking with them to confirm that what Remington is charging purchasers is in fact in excess of what Markham charged Remington ... hence ungrounded pure profit for Remington (aka ripoff purchasers)

I don't think that that is true.
I've never met or dealt with Mr. Shub, but I've always used Mario within his office and I always sit down and go through the agreement with him. We come up with an amendment list to propose to the builder and one of them is always a cap on the closing costs.

I've also dealt with Mario, the outcome was similar. Capping the closing cost or requesting the delv levies to be waived should be #1 on the list if your RE lawyer isn't addressing that what are you paying for??

What happens in these cases is that the builder refuses to waive or cap the fees but gives the current develop/educational levy fees as per govt website, the purchasers assume the fees won't increase that much. They love the place and don't want to walk away and take it, leaving themselves open to this scam.

let this be a lesson to all if the builder won't agree to at least capping the fees its better to walk away

Hello,

Wonder if anyone knows.

I bought at 500 Sherbourne and the understanding was that the blinds were included with the unit. Unfortunately it is not listed under the Schedule B, but the purchase agreement also doesn't indicate there would be an additional cost for the blinds at closing. At no time have I or any other individuals been advised of this additional cost.

I received a letter yesterday advising that we are required to pay the cost of the blinds; mine specifically $4300 and that this would be adjusted to the purchase price at closing. This letter was given to me yesterday and my closing is at the end of January 2011. They also requested acknowledgement and to sign the letter within 10 days.

What are my rights in this situation, will I have to pay for the blinds or do I have any legal grounds to stand on here?

Thoughts?

Hello,

Wonder if anyone knows.

I bought at 500 Sherbourne and the understanding was that the blinds were included with the unit. Unfortunately it is not listed under the Schedule B, but the purchase agreement also doesn't indicate there would be an additional cost for the blinds at closing. At no time have I or any other individuals been advised of this additional cost.

I received a letter yesterday advising that we are required to pay the cost of the blinds; mine specifically $4300 and that this would be adjusted to the purchase price at closing. This letter was given to me yesterday and my closing is at the end of January 2011. They also requested acknowledgement and to sign the letter within 10 days.

What are my rights in this situation, will I have to pay for the blinds or do I have any legal grounds to stand on here?

Thoughts?

I suspect your agreement has an "Entire Agreement" clause which basically says that there are no other agreements, understandings etc except those in the actual agreement. Every "understanding" must be documented and agreed upon in writing to be effective. Unless there is something in writing that the builder covers the blinds, from alegal perspective you are likely out of luck.

So they can just legally charge you for anything additional that they want to charge you for.

The agreement doesn't even indicate that the blinds will be an additional cost. It doesn't even address it.

Can I just say that I didn't agree to have them installed and have them removed at their cost?

It find it outrageous that they are able to get away with this. Why surprise us with a large cost at the last minute. They should have been upfront about it initially!

I'll let my lawyer take care of this when he gets back from holidays!!

I'm freaking out though!! LOl

I don't know the legality of the question you are asking but I am quite sure you cannot insist they not install them. Condos usually have a "consistent appearance" which individuals cannot modify. Therefore, if there are white blinds, you can't replace them with brown ones for example. At least not altering the outsdie appearance.

You will have to ask your lawyer. I agree it sounds outrageous but I rather suspect Catapult may be correct. One would think that when one buys something for a price everything is included, or if not, it is clearly delineated as "extra charge or upgrades" for which one expects to pay.

I agree with the "consistent appearance". Having said that, there are many different "style" of blinds these days that is suitable for condo units. We weren't given a choice to the blinds & they suck at functionality! I have a big gap at the corner of the bedroom & in the summer it's impossible to sleep in! When I raise the question at PDI, they say it is what it is & they can't do anything due to the "design". Why didn't they choose a design that will fit then?!

Hello,

Wonder if anyone knows.

Thoughts?

Go to the 500 Sherbourne thread, there's a discussion about this there.

Back