News   Jul 03, 2024
 126     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Bus bunching

If they were smart, the supervisors would say to the first streetcar operator not to make stops to take on passengers if streetcars were bunched, to speed service and to even the loads. But that makes too much sense.
Back in the seventies my father told me that's exactly what Inspectors (as they were then called) used to do. They had so many cars available back then they could call up spares and have them put into service in no time. Same for buses.

And yes, the SUV strollers and shitty Orion VIIs aren't helping matters, at all. I *love* taking New Looks on the York 196 Rocket, no problems at all.

I get on the eastbound Queen St. Streetcar every morning at Niagara St. If there's a worse case of bunching in the city than these streetcars during the morning rush, I pitty those who need to put up with it.

It saddens me when during morning rush hour, when service and frequency theoretically should be at its highest, the wait can take up to 15 minutes or so...and on a major street like Queen!

I want to cry for the TTC as one by one people fed up with waiting throw their hands in the air and hail a cab. Then I want to cry for myself knowing that the person who got in the cab 5 minutes before I got on the streetcar, will get to work at least 15 minutes before I do....

Perhaps a logistical nightmare, but would it not be possible to prohibit left hand turns during rush hour in the lane where the streetcar track is? Meaning left hand turns could only be made from the right lane of traffic...obviously checking blind spots would become that much more crucial!

At Jane Station tonight, there was a big crowd waiting for a Jane bus, seemingly for a long time. Then, one came. And another (which I boarded). And, I think yet another. And as the bus left, I think there were about three others either in there or about to turn into there. Six buses within minutes of each other. Whooo...

This evening there were three 190 Rockets and two 85s all lined up and ready to go at Don Mills station...some people were confused by all the choices. Of course, they all left at the same time (all five were full) and there was endless and frustrating jockeying for position all the way to Midland, where the 190s finally broke free and zoomed to STC.

My route became officially accessible on Sunday. Up until now, the New Looks were becoming scarcer and scarcer, replaced by %#*& Orion VIIs. I was figuring that all buses would now be Orion VIIs, but I got a pleasant surprise = nearly every bus now is a Nova RTS, and service is suddenly more reliable with high floors.

I started to write this post and it quickly deteriorated into a list of all the things wrong with the TTC. It was so negative that I erased it.

I think the bunching happens any time transit shares the road with regular traffic. I haven't experienced it on Spadina, though I'm not a regular commuter on that route.

Right of Ways are the answer. I don't care how hard it's fought in every neighbourhood in the city; it needs to happen.

Bunching happens all the time on Spadina. Since bunching is a factor of how long a route is and the level of frequency, I would actually say that Spadina is one of the worst routes for bunching in the city.

Steve Munro likes to point out that the TTC has shifting excuses as to why they can't improve reliability; and the current line is "we can't run reliable service without ROWs". Although it may be true that it's impossible to run a perfectly on-schedule service without an independent ROW, watching the TTC operate will show you that they don't even try. Just watch at the terminals where vehicles often depart in bunches, not simply getting bunched up along the way.

Here's an interesting tip to see schedule adherence for yourself (which is a lot easier to check out on streetcars than buses). To the right of the operator is a big, black box called a CIS unit. It's got a wide, green, backlit display on the top of the front. At the top left corner of the display, if the vehicle is running ahead of or behind schedule, it will say so. For example, if a streetcar is 5 minutes behind schedule it will state -05. If you're a regular streetcar rider and curious about TTC reliability, each time you pop your fare into the box have a peek at the CIS.

This morning, I got on the second of three buses that pulled up at my stop. Generally, the rule of thumb for me is that the second bus will arrive at the subway (not too far, about a 5-10 minute ride) first. And the second bus will more likely have seats.

The first and second buses made it though the green light, leaving the third bus behind (one reason why my rule of thumb generally works). Both buses arrive at the first stop, which is one of only a few not to have a bus bay. Both buses leave at the same time after letting people off. The next stop, the first bus pulls in. Generally, the second bus would pull ahead to pick people up at the next stop, with some leapfrogging. But it works with bunched buses fairly well. But this driver would have none of that, stopping his bus in the driving lane behind the bus stopped ahead, and kept doing this all the way to the subway.

So we're delayed because the driver refused to play the normal game of leapfrog. The bus in front of us is getting more and more crowded while there's seats galore in our bus.

I heard drivers will often do this, so they do less work, so if this is done, bunching gets worse. And passengers lose.

I usually only take the Spadina streetcar on weekends. Maybe that's why I never experienced bad bunching.

Anyway, assuming that the ROW argument doesn't fly, is it simply pure laziness by drivers?

No, it isn't. It's because priority traffic signalling was never implemented the way it was proposed when Spadina was rebuilt. Not *everything* is the drivers' fault. Sheesh.

Spadina is by far the busiest streetcar route so it would probably still have bunching problem even if signal priority was implemented.

I don't see bus ROWs being particularly useful...express and local routes can't use them together since express routes are useless when their ability to pass other vehicles is removed.

I lived at Queen & Niagara for many years myself and trying to get downtown in the morning was a bloody nightmare. Long waits for the streetcar followed by it being too packed to enter was the norm. I was often one of those who threw my arms up in the air and hailed a cab instead (despite already spending $100 on a MetroPass).

Queen subway anyone?

Sort of joking, but also sort of serious. Nothing short of something massive like a subway will address the problems of trying to get east-west via transit in the downtown core.

Signal priority is a problem on Spadina. The other problem is the antiquated fare collection system the TTC uses. I've been forced to wait several minutes at each stop as people slowly put down their shopping bags, reach into their pockets, fish out their wallets, and dig around to find exact change (usually involving as many nickels and dimes as possible). Repeat this twenty or thirty times and it makes the route incredibly slow. At the very least, the TTC should have inspectors at the busiest stops (Dundas and College) during peak periods to allow boarding from the rear doors like they do on King.

On the other hand, the Bathurst streetcar appears to be very reliable. Even during rush hour the route appears free of bunching. I use the line to get to and from work. In the morning the streetcars enter Bathurst Station in a very orderly fashion... one streetcar leaves, wait one or two minutes, and another one comes. In the afternoon the wait for the streetcar is a bit longer, but about 95% of the time the waiting time is quite bearable. Out of all the surface routes that I've ever used regularly, I think the Bathurst streetcar is my favourite.

Back