News   Jul 22, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 611     0 

Burlington / 400 Brant St / The Queens Head (formerly)

just east of the creek

Member Bio
Reaction score
These are sad photos of The Queens Head, a great pub, very recently abruptly closed when it’s lease was not renewed. Mystery surrounds the owner ( Resident of Oakville is understood) and the future of the building. This is a heritage building, originally built in 1860 as a hotel, and holds a lovely position adjacent city hall on lower Brant, not many steps from the lake and the recent
IMG_3013.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg
push by the developing community to create another Humber Bay Shores. Nice patio to one side, it will be missed come warmer weather unless, unless, unless…..

I had no idea that it's a pre-Confederation building. It's hard to tell from the facade. There's huge potential for this building to be restored and become a landmark heritage building.
not a lot of pre-confederation stuff in Toronto left at this point, but as you approach the Niagara Peninsula there is a far larger stock of stuff. Downtown Hamilton is full of stuff from the 1830's through 1850's, and there is a decent stock of 18th century buildings in Niagara.

I suppose a very small condo building could go up in behind the historic front portion of the building, but the lot just isn't big enough and the building is too historic to have anything go up through it and preserve its facade. Here's the site on Google Maps:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 222651.png

These types of tavern/hotel/restaurant establishments were the first community hubs in Ontario, played an important economic and even political role, and were common across the province. All of those which remain are important heritage structures that ought to be restored/maintained. I agree that some small apartment building (or hotel) addition may be possible on the rear portion of the site, but the "U" shaped original building really must be preserved in its entirety.

These types of tavern/hotel/restaurant establishments were the first community hubs in Ontario, played an important economic and even political role, and were common across the province. All of those which remain are important heritage structures that ought to be restored/maintained. I agree that some small apartment building (or hotel) addition may be possible on the rear portion of the site, but the "U" shaped original building really must be preserved in its entirety.
Opportunity for a cantilevered tower

Opportunity for a cantilevered tower
Why a tower? Talk the city into selling off the small parking lot, take off the later addition to the rear of the subject building, extend the building 'concept' in design and style westwards along Elgin towards Locusts and have yourself a 3 or 4 story walkup complex of office and or residential. There are enough towers going up in Burlington's waterfront core as is, Elgin serves as a connection between the heritage residential to the west and the main drag (so to speak), and we have seen on the corner of Martha Street & Lakeshore, the usual god awful heritage preservation of a heritage building at the Carriage Gate Homes site.

I was in Burlington to meet some friends for a drink (Hello,
IMG_3227.jpeg
The Poacher) and noticed this…dining of some upscale style no doubt will try this heritage building. We’ll have to see how it goes? Stocking Kilkenny would be a good signature move.

Back