News   Sep 19, 2019
 683     0 
News   Sep 19, 2019
 442     0 

Brick and cobblestone streets in Toronto

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Fascinating. I've always wanted to know about the politics of preserving brick streets in the past. It's not the kind of topic that was written about extensively in major newspapers. That article helps tell the story of how the bricks on Carlton Street were saved.

I mistakenly deleted my Google map of brick streets in the city when I deleted my old Google account. (I forgot that custom maps are tied to your Google account). I plan to recreate it soon. Fortunately, I still remember everything.

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
While Toronto's heritage of brick streets languishes in obscurity, I found an interesting article and video about the city of Montreal's work to preserve its heritage pavements for future generations. They've adapted the old world methods of stone road construction with modern mortar to create a tougher pavement that can better withstand normal plowing operations. The city expects the road to last for 75 years.

UserNameToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Carlton Street seems to have more red brick than I realized - there's a large pothole on the north side near Carlton/Metcalfe, and you can clearly see the red brick paving underneath the crumbling asphalt.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This 1908 map of Toronto and surrounding Township of York (before annexations and the breaking up of the township into York, North York, and East York). It was the bicycle that demanded that the streets be paved. Unfortunately, the automobile then took over the paved streets for their own exclusive use, up to today.

From link.