117     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 848     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Branching off subway lines

M

M II A II R II K

Why doesn't the TTC do this, is it because service on the branched out lines would be too slow since they'd only be able to run half the number of trains on them perhaps...

And what ideas would be good to cover more areas with the same line.

The B/D could have a terminus at STC but also split from Victoria Park and continue east to Kingston Rd and service that street maybe even as far as Rouge Hill.

The Spadina Line could also have a branch that goes out further west to better serve Etobicoke.

And the Sheppard Stub could be a branch of the Yonge line.

I think branching off is sort of like interlining, because thats what the B-D line was initially (a 2-way extension of the yonge line). The interlining experiment didn't work (im not sure why), but im sure elseone can explan that.

^ That particular interlining was a bit too confusing at some transfer points. Simple branches are a different matter - the London Tube has them all over, for example, and so does the NY subway.

The most obvious branches would be at Kennedy and Kipling. At Kennedy one branch replaces SRT to McCowan (eventually Malvern/Zoo) while the other follows Eglinton East and Kingston to Morningside and beyond. Kipling:One branch to head up Hwy 427 to Pearson and beyond while the other heads to Sherway and possibly into Peel Region. Sheppard could also have multiple branches: a) Finch Hydro Corridor b) STC and Markham/Sheppard c) remain on Sheppard beyond Agincourt. YUS at Union could also be split into two lines one becoming DRL East and the other DRL West.

A subway to the zoo would be an obscene waste of money.

edit - oh yeah, no one mentions branching lines because if someone did, everyone in this city would have a simultaneous stroke.

YUS at Union could also be split into two lines one becoming DRL East and the other DRL West.

In that case you may as well make them 2 seperate lines. Usually it's one line from the city centre but branches out as they reach for the suburbs, like with the London Underground and New York Subway.

Branching at the end of lines would provide more coverage with less transfers.

But I guess interlining with A, B, and C trains are a bit far fetched.

I like the idea of branching off the ends of B-D, particularly on the western side.

Another reason that interlining failed, as I take it, is that if a train broke on one line, both lines wound up jammed.

The big problem I see with branching is switch failure and scheduling. If the switch doesn't switch, something that GO trains are constantly seeing problems with due to excessive switches in the Union Station area, then service gets seriously disrupted. In addition there ends up being a scheduling bottleneck at the switches because each train has to show up at the switch at different times. If the trains show up at the switch at the same time or close to it then the other train needs to sit and wait. Outside of the rush this probably doesn't cause much issues but if it is rush hour and there has been a problem at one of the stations and the TTC is trying to rush trains back into position a bottleneck at the switch would slow resumption of normal service. Branched lines can work but there are obstacles.

I don't think switching is a problem. The TTC operates regularly scheduled short turns that require switching, and of course every single train gets switched at the ends of lines. There doesn't seem to me to be a good reason why Sheppard at this point couldn't run as a branch of Yonge. It would have to expand to accommodate 6-car trains, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Finch would get reduced service, but a lot of people that currently use it might switch to Sheppard if it didn't require an additional change to get to the Yonge line.

Alot of people from the York Region arrive at Finch Station though, the service there would have to be frequent enough.

So how exactly would a train go up Yonge and along Sheppard? Would it still stop at Sheppard? I forget where the "onramp" from one line to the other is.

So how exactly would a train go up Yonge and along Sheppard? Would it still stop at Sheppard?
North to East would avoid Sheppard entirely. Straight from York Mills to Bayview.

West to South could hit Yonge station on the Sheppard line but it also requires going into the tail tracks because the curve is actually from East to South.

That is, go west beyond Sheppard station, have the driver run to the other end of the train, then head south.

"no one mentions branching lines because if someone did, everyone in this city would have a simultaneous stroke"

And this is based upon what exactly?

Back