News   Jul 22, 2024
 288     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Boutique programming and inequality in the TDSB

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
It has been argued that boutique programming keeps the professional class in the TDSB rather than fleeing to the private system, but critics say it's leading to a two-tier public system where the wealthiest and best connected are able to monopolize specialized programs for gifted students, the arts, French immersion and the like.

Rachel Giese on The National:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/935078979530

Maybe the parents should teach their kids (Grades 3-5) cursive writing during the summer break, when its raining outside?

cursive-letter-worksheets.gif

There are textbooks on cursive writing available. Good place to start.

One issue that I'm starting to see is 'leapfrogging' between the public and private school system.

My parents live in one of the most desirable junior school districts in the city, along the Danforth. However, the junior school feeds into a middle school that has a wide catchment area that includes *gasp* new Canadians and TCHC housing complexes.

As a result, there is a large number of Grade 6 public school graduates in their community migrating to the private school system in Grade 7.

Last edited:
On the whole "new Canadians" thing - what's really interesting is that, at least back when I was growing up, better-off "new Canadians" skip the "boutique" programs and automatically venture to private school. My parents didn't even CONSIDER French Immersion (I'm actually unsure they knew it existed). I was dragged to interviews at several schools from JK-Grade 1, but was turned down due to my English skills (why did my parents even THINK I would survive BSS or Havergal in JK if I DIDN'T SPEAK ENOUGH ENGLISH??!!!). I suppose French Immersion wouldn't have been that great either if I only spoke Cantonese at the time, but still. And forget about arts schools. Want me to be a classically trained musician? It's the Conservatory and ONLY the Conservatory (which that OISE study about minorities and arts programs DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER). Public arts schools like Claude Watson would only mean my academic education would be inferior.

It's extremely hard to notice that Vaughan Road had to use portables back in the 1970s (I wasn't born yet, which is why I learned about that just now).

The author of the article blamed increased Catholic school funding for the beginning of Vaughan Road's decline. Oh, and the fact that more affluent students attend other high schools (leading to voluntary racial segregation) is the final nail in the coffin.

Elizabeth Renzetti, a Vaughan Road alumnus, has a piece on its closure in the Globe:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...oad-academy-for-the-lasttime/article35128595/

:(

What are they going to do with the building? Also, is "alumnus" a gender-neutral term now? My university (Queen's) does this, and it bugs, coming from a girls-only high school (and having taken one year of Latin). Our media (both digital and print) refer to us as either an alumna (alumnae) or Old Girl (Old Girls).

I don't think the existence of boutique programming per se is the problem.

But its important to say, you need to ask what you expect of a public education system in order to decide how to best deploy resources.

If you expect it to compete with or even replace private education, that would require a substantial investment and radical change.

To be clear, many public schools do successfully compete, but that has always been somewhat exceptional.

Forest Hill Collegiate or Leaside etc. have long been seen a great place to send your kid, and they might still be able to take Latin.

You won't find that class or host of other 'boutique' items in schools that have lower numbers of upper-middle class and rich folk.

Nothing new there.

What is new, perhaps, is that more 'middle class' parents have found themselves concerned/disappointed by the public school in their area and have
decided to push for perceived quality. French immersion has become the most obvious example.
Partially, its about raising your childs opportunity through access to a second language.
Partially, its about the self-selection (or parental selection) of students w/more academic ambition, which in turn may drive higher academic standards and more resources.

But the effect is problematic where it leaves behind a school that has fewer 'gifted' or even average students, which in turn lowers its EQAO scores, lessens its reputation and leaves it w/fewer
parents w/resources, meaning lower fundraising totals and typically less effective advocacy.

Addressing all of that isn't easy.

But my instinct would be to look at 5 things.

1) Adopt greater fairness in fundraising, similar to Portland, OR where more affluent schools are required to turn over a portion of their fundraising to lesser funded schools.

2) Tackle French head-on as its the perceived differentiator today, by raising standards around French in every school and by considering that every school should come w/at least one 'specialty'.

3) Raise academic standards across the board.

4) Achieve the above by better invention w/students who are at risk of falling behind. I have many professional relationships w/teachers and have heard the following.

- take one week out of summer break to add a fall, 1-week break. partly this is just a catch-up, something else I'll note below.

-use the fall and spring week off to have a 2-3 day program in each for students who need help w/one subject or subject area.

-summer school needs a complete overhaul, the program is apparently quite general and doesn't focus enough on any one student's area of need
the program is also entirely voluntary, there is a strong feeling that it should be resources to support any student getting below 60% in a core subject area.

- consider dedicated after-school programming w/academic focus for students falling behind, 2 days per week.

5) Tackle the symbolic things that make one school appear less appealing than the next.

- All schools should have a/c (up to 1/2 don't) (which is also a limitation on summer school
- Schools all need 'curb appeal' (nice yard, good front entrance/landscaping)
- All schools need adequate access to technology in the classroom

-

Air conditioning is a major thing. The lack of air conditioning can be a health hazard!

All schools need to have Wi-Fi access. To facilitate this, schools can rent out iPads/Surface/Chromebooks to students to minimize the gap between the affluent and the not-so-affluent. Oh, and the use of technology would be heavily monitored. There's a difference between spending too much time playing League of Legends or Pokémon Go, spending too much time socializing on Facebook/Twitter/Reddit, spending too much time watching YouTube videos, and spending too much time editing Wikipedia articles.

Keep washrooms clean! That is important, as students are less likely to play hooky in washrooms that are cleaned often.

The school's exterior needs to be clean and landscaped as well to discourage playing hooky.

There needs to be more talks between teachers and parents, even for model students. Every student should have access to a peer tutor. This would minimize the advantages of affluent students being able to hire expensive tutors. Oh, and students with disabilities also need reasonable accommodation as well.

There can be ethnic courses as well, but they have to teach all ethnicities equally. By having students appreciate what other ethnic groups offer, students would be less likely to form ethnically segregated cliques.

Cafeterias need to have a good balance between nutritious food and the not-so-nutritious food. Oh, and food needs to be affordable. All too often are fries cheaper than salad (and I'm a sucker for poutine).

Course material needs to be updated. No more of those French textbooks dating from the early 1980s when smartphones were considered "science fiction."

More schools should offer the AP programs; some TDSB schools already have them, but not all.

Schools should have non-sexualized uniforms or a strict dress code, since it helps with identifying students from non-students of the specific school, along with fostering school pride and reducing fashion envy and other forms of peer pressure; individuals can still express their fashion with their shoes anyways. Special uniforms can be worn for students practising certain religions. To help with the costs of school uniforms, they can be rented out to students with the rental fees waived upon graduation. Oh, and uniforms don't have to be gender-specific to accommodate LGBT students.

Finally, some schools could switch to a model popularized by the Evergreen State College called "narrative evaluation" in which teachers evaluate students without revealing their grades (but students will only know if they pass or fail a course). This would help eliminate "grade envy" and "grade superiority."

Last edited:
It's extremely hard to notice that Vaughan Road had to use portables back in the 1970s (I wasn't born yet, which is why I learned about that just now).

The author of the article blamed increased Catholic school funding for the beginning of Vaughan Road's decline. Oh, and the fact that more affluent students attend other high schools (leading to voluntary racial segregation) is the final nail in the coffin.

I wouldn't called it racial segregation. The root and reality is economic segregation. Its just so happens there are certain minority groups who tend to be more prevalent in these area due to immigration and an unfortunate cyclic culture. People I hear say they try to avoid schools zones with kids from the "poor" areas. Many rich people dont want their kids around, lower income kids of the same race. Different family upbringings, distractions from home and bad learned behaviors from these environments are the real problems why middle class and above people avoid these schools.

Last edited:

Back