483     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Bookshelves for Small Spaces?

sungs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Sorry for all the questions about furniture in small spaces, but I'm sure it benefits more people than just me! Plus your suggestions make me think of solutions I wasn't aware of.

So my question is about bookshelves for small spaces. For those that have a collection of books they like to have on display to show people how smart you are (wink) what are some ideas? I like the "Sapien" bookcase available at Design Within Reach, but naturally it's too pricey. Any knock offs available anywhere or other suggestions? The Sapien looks similar to the pic below

42spine.jpg

I just bought a small ladder style book case at kitchen stuff plus. It was $50 and fits in my place pretty nicely..

Knock it off sungs:

1)One 2x4
2)platform 12x20" board @HD
3)hand saw notches in the 2x4
4)insert either thin wood panels or sally ann-style/dollar store metal trays in notches
5)nail 2x4 to platform/base board
6)paint or vanish
7)cost=$30?

the idea is right, but i don't think the materials you suggested have the durability/rigidity required.

1) get a 2x6 because it's wider providing more support
2) ...
3) 5/8" - 3/4" veneer (not chipboard) plywood cut into 11"x11" squares
4) mitre notches 1" deep across the width of the 2x6 according to the thickness of the plywood above
5) ...
6) ...
7) ...

Thanks for the DIY suggestions folks, but besides using allen keys on occasion I'm useless when it comes to handy-work.

I went by Umbra today and wasn't really impressed with their solutions. neuhaus, I saw that product today, and I'm not into fixing something into the wall because of the lack of mobility (I have 3 areas in mind that I'd like to have a really narrow shelf, but I'm still undecided). I'm thinking i may just end up stacking a bunch of books on top of each other up to the roof and telling friends not to invite their children over!

I may be violating a UT rule here, but why not just go with the "tall and skinny" IKEA bookshelf? I think it's called BENNO.
Not BILLY - that's the regular bookshelf.

BTW if you don't like IKEA's default colors, you can just re-paint it, no?

Colt, I just googled that, and its actually geared towards DVDs. A lot of books exceed the dimensions of a typical dvd case. But I do like the concept of it.

Sorry, I may have missed this discussion but what was wrong with the typical hanging shelves that allow you to stack books horizontally__________________ rather than vertically?

Back