Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

^be kinda ironic if they ended up building planes on the southwest corner of Airport Road and Derry Road.

upload_2018-3-12_15-26-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_15-26-48.png
    upload_2018-3-12_15-26-48.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,075
I would thoroughly enjoy seeing the GTAA reject Bombardier from doing anything around Pearson just to see them scramble and scuttle around. I wouldn't mind if the Bombardier Union got their way on this case either.

At this point, what isn't this company looking at divesting?

I don't get how BBD would work at Pearson. I can't imagine they have the runway capacity to accomodate those test flights. Or maybe they do cross runway ops. Seems like a large challenge and risk to me.

Surely Pearson is reasonably quiet at some point? Morning has business and sun traffic, afternoon has incoming European, evening has outgoing European... what's doing around 10-11am?

Surely Pearson is reasonably quiet at some point? Morning has business and sun traffic, afternoon has incoming European, evening has outgoing European... what's doing around 10-11am?

I am sure Bombardier and GTAA are looking at that.

It's just that test flying is terrible for a busy commercial airport. It's like some dude flying 5 missed approaches in a row, cause the test flight is doing touch and gos from the arrivals runway. So it's messy, even midday.

LOL. I can just see the controllers now. "Hey BBD test flight, go fly circles for 30 mins here while we land the next arrivals bank."

Edit: Found relevant section in new master plan.

https://www.torontopearson.com/uplo...trategy/Master_Plan/MasterPlanFinal_Draft.pdf

Figure 5-8 on page 36. Looks like there is space today but they're expecting quite a bit of growth during those morning hours to the point where they're approaching available capacity too.

Of course, demand varies by time of year too. Peak travel days might be at capacity with plenty of room during the off-seasons.

Last edited:
I am sure Bombardier and GTAA are looking at that.

It's just that test flying is terrible for a busy commercial airport. It's like some dude flying 5 missed approaches in a row, cause the test flight is doing touch and gos from the arrivals runway. So it's messy, even midday.

LOL. I can just see the controllers now. "Hey BBD test flight, go fly circles for 30 mins here while we land the next arrivals bank."
Not sure if it's viable, but can you take off from Pearson and fly to Hamilton (Munro) to do the more complex tests.?

Not sure if it's viable, but can you take off from Pearson and fly to Hamilton (Munro) to do the more complex tests.?

You could. But that adds more risk and cost.

Basically, flight testing works with envelope expansion. First flight is just a circuit, low speed, gear down. Next flight, gear up, bit faster, near pressurization altitude. Next flight, climb closer to cruise. Etc.

So now, it's first flight on a frame, I have to depart Pearson and fly all the way to Hamilton, while below 10 000 feet with my gear down and if I have any issues, I will now ground the frame at Hamilton till a recovery crew gets there. Operationally, this sounds like a nightmare to manage. They would be better off just relocating to Hamilton.

To be fair, I could be wrong. Maybe GTAA is able to balance their flight test needs in its normal flying schedules. They do build planes at Dorval and make that work. Just that this seems challenging at first blush to me.

Back