News   May 24, 2024
 9.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 494     0 

Blue Jays

We're now 2 games ahead of the Royals. It will be huge if we can come 1st in the AL. I just hope we don't get too cocky. The playoffs haven't even begun. This divisional title is great, but it will be all for nothing without winning the World Series.

Sweet Jaysus all you hipsters and confirmed urbanites: the Jays just won the pennant! Time to re-calibrate; downtown TO is gonna be on the big boy stage like it hasn't for a few decades... Any thoughts?

MDParker:I have a few thoughts... 1) TO finally gets to play itself in front of a viewing audience in the 10's of millions, vs playing a major US city in a TV show or movie... 2) This is a major run that we're on, that will play from coast to coast; It's Olympic-like in its cross-country appeal... 3) I think we could actually win the whole thing...

A few thoughts: I'm glad the Jays won their division, but last night's celebration was ridiculous and embarrassing at times. Did you see, Gibbons, I think, pour champagne on Anthopoulos just as he was talking about his deceased father? AA let out a "Woo!" as it happened, as if he was celebrating the fact that he was dead. That was one of the most unintentionally funny and inappropriate things I've ever seen.

Aside from that, the players were celebrating as if they had just won the World Series. Relax guys, the playoffs have yet to start. Imagine how dumb that will all look if they lose in the 1st round. Be humble and less obnoxious. We haven't really done anything yet. I like how hockey players won't even touch their respective conference trophies when they advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. Basically every player is subdued and will barely even comment on what has just transpired. They're focused on the Cup and hold back any thorough celebration until the very end. I know that it is much more difficult to make the playoffs in baseball, but we have 7 other teams to still worry about. Let's tone it down a bit. We need to focus on winning the American League's best record.

The second game of the double header last night was just thrown away. With Kansas City trailing so closely behind, why wouldn't Gibbons have at least played a few regular starters, or have them come in later in the game? Surely guys like Donaldson, Revere, Bautista, etc. could have played 4 innings or so. That could have made a difference in the game. Now we're looking pretty sick in today's game. I really hope we don't finish behind the Royals by one game because of yesterday's 2nd game.

Lastly, would you start Colabello or Smoak in the playoffs? Both are great players, but the former has a much high batting average.

Over the top? Did you see the celebrations in the Cardinals locker room last night? And they've won 3 division titles in a row. Or the Mets? Or the Dodgers? Or the Royals?

These guys have been together every day since February - and they just won the team's first pennant in 22 years. I think they deserve a little of leeway.

Over the top? Did you see the celebrations in the Cardinals locker room last night? And they've won 3 division titles in a row. Or the Mets? Or the Dodgers? Or the Royals?

These guys have been together every day since February - and they just won the team's first pennant in 22 years. I think they deserve a little of leeway.
No, I didn't see the other celebrations. Regardless, that doesn't change what I said, just because other teams partied as hard, or harder.

Fair enough. I just think a division title is nothing without winning the World Series. A light celebration would be fine, but they were partying like frat boy buffoons. A little modesty would be nice. I wouldn't have even been able to stay in the dressing room if I were on the roster with such a chaotic party happening. And the music was just terrible, to boot. What was with all the vocoder crap? It would be interesting to compare how the '92/'93 Jays celebrated. I imagine the older generation was much more tame than today's more immature, hip hop culture influenced players.

It would be interesting to compare how the '92/'93 Jays celebrated

Would you like 1992

QPUkkIC.jpg
ItTNmWD.jpg
YVSGIXH.jpg

or 1993

vdsyHRt.jpg
7fQDK88.jpg
Z9kXOcc.jpg

and that "vocoder crap" was Drake - you might have heard of him

...the blue jay head should stand alone without a leaf thrown in there as an after thought. It's not even necessary to be there. Everyone knows we're a Canadian city. I think it just accentuates our inferiority complex towards the United States. We're the Toronto Blue Jays, not the Canadian Blue Jays.

Exactly! I touched on that in this thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/maple-leaves-on-corporate-logos.21273/page-1. I'm amazed that Canadians think maple leaves plastered everywhere is displaying patriotism. It really isn't. It's a teddy bear for an insecure nation. Americans may be flag wavers, but they don't use stars or eagles as an overt symbolism.

All that being said, I think the ML on the Blue Jays logo is appropriate because of they're uniqueness as a Canadian team. In the unlikely event there are more Canadian MLB teams in the future, I'd get rid of it.

What savages.:) At least those are World Series party photos. I still say that the celebration the other night was excessive, for a relatively minor accomplishment. Anyway, let's hope we can finish the season off with a sweep in Tampa.

And, yes, I have heard of Drake, unfortunately. All those months of therapy, down the drain.

A few thoughts: I'm glad the Jays won their division, but last night's celebration was ridiculous and embarrassing at times. Did you see, Gibbons, I think, pour champagne on Anthopoulos just as he was talking about his deceased father? AA let out a "Woo!" as it happened, as if he was celebrating the fact that he was dead. That was one of the most unintentionally funny and inappropriate things I've ever seen.

Aside from that, the players were celebrating as if they had just won the World Series. Relax guys, the playoffs have yet to start. Imagine how dumb that will all look if they lose in the 1st round. Be humble and less obnoxious. We haven't really done anything yet. I like how hockey players won't even touch their respective conference trophies when they advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. Basically every player is subdued and will barely even comment on what has just transpired. They're focused on the Cup and hold back any thorough celebration until the very end. I know that it is much more difficult to make the playoffs in baseball, but we have 7 other teams to still worry about. Let's tone it down a bit. We need to focus on winning the American League's best record.

The second game of the double header last night was just thrown away. With Kansas City trailing so closely behind, why wouldn't Gibbons have at least played a few regular starters, or have them come in later in the game? Surely guys like Donaldson, Revere, Bautista, etc. could have played 4 innings or so. That could have made a difference in the game. Now we're looking pretty sick in today's game. I really hope we don't finish behind the Royals by one game because of yesterday's 2nd game.

Lastly, would you start Colabello or Smoak in the playoffs? Both are great players, but the former has a much high batting average.

First the logo and now you're griping about the celebrations? C'mon man, cut the team some slack.

A number of things:

Making the playoffs is much harder to do in MLB than it is in the NHL or NBA for that matter. Beyond the grueling 162 game schedule (and yes, it is grueling considering you're playing almost every single day as well as travel time), essentially half the number of teams make the playoffs. So yeah, making the playoffs and winning a division is a pretty big deal for these guys.

NHLers don't touch the conference trophies out of superstition, although others have in the past. I'm sure MLB players would abide by similar superstitions regarding celebrations if there were any.

I'm aware of how difficult it is to win one's division in the MLB, and a light celebration is fine; I just think keeping it modest would be more appropriate. If the Jays wins the World Series, then, by all means, act like drunken vikings. Anyway, we just sees things differently. It won't matter in the end if they win it all, but it would look really silly if we got swept in the first round.

What was even worse was the Yankees celebration last night. They're not even guaranteed to make it to the actual playoffs! They have a one game, do or die, scenario. Not to mention that they blew the division title in the last 2 months and have been mediocre in the last while. I don't see much reason for them to be so ecstatic. If anything, I'd be breathing a sigh of relief, if I was on their team, that they barely hung on to have a possible chance to compete for a championship.

Anyway, enough about celebrations. What do you think of resting Price this series? Too much time off? I would have played him tonight. He'd still have a week of rest before Game 1 of the playoffs.

Will Buehrle start in the playoffs, work out of the bullpen, or not pitch at all?

Last edited:

Back